Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you guys think about Sweet Potatoes?

I was totally strict until I hit goal as well. I still don't do Pasta, rice, bread, or alcohol. My carbs are usually fruit, oatmeal, or skinny pop popcorn. I think your fine with sweet potatoes and brown rice etc. I am not going to lie I do allow myself some sweet treats but I also workout everyday.

Good luck-

LA

@@Dub

Can we all come over to your house to eat??

I'm telling you right now.....right here......that would be a blast for me.

One funny aspect to the event.........it would be more of a meal of appetizers due to our low food intake.

Works for me.....already got a menu in mind. All appetizers.< /p>

Also some skinny B.L.D.'s (big liquor dranks for those who partake........don't worry....there will be strong coffee brewing when the sun comes up).

How ironic....a meal for bariatric friends that I could go all out on.

I'm so down with this.

Be right back......busting out a few walls and doing some sheetrock work to add more sleeping space and getting day passes at my gym for everyone 'cause ya'll are some active folks who I have to keep busy while I fire up dem coals.

Just kidding....I'd hire somebody that can actually BBQ & cook and leave me outa of it......I'll tend the bar and enjoy every minute of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

@@Dub I am on flight 869. Got my car rented. Took days off work. I am so there! Lord have mercy on our souls! Would we all have a great time or what!!!!!! I love the idea of hiring a cook so you can bartend!!!!!!!! Damn you would have all of us laughing our arses OFF!!!!!! Music, dancing, laughing, hot tubbing, I am so down with that! Ya I know..... I just threw the hot tubbing part in there.

Ya know, that's not a bad idea...... One day all of us meeting somewhere for a WLS get together!!!!!

All things in moderation. Sweet potatoes have tons of Vitamins and they are really good for you. Mash and or blend with carrots like we mash up potatoes with some cauliflower for some extra veg. I am about 4.5 months out and have some potatoes in moderation and mashed with the skin on to ensure I'm getting all the vitamins. Enjoy!

And BTW for all you potato haters...FYI- they are "paleo". Not carb free but not basically devoid of nutritional value like Pasta, bread, rice, etc. They are packed with Vitamins? ???

@@Dub

Can we all come over to your house to eat??

I'm telling you right now.....right here......that would be a blast for me.

One funny aspect to the event.........it would be more of a meal of appetizers due to our low food intake.

Works for me.....already got a menu in mind. All appetizers.< /p>

Also some skinny B.L.D.'s (big liquor dranks for those who partake........don't worry....there will be strong coffee brewing when the sun comes up).

How ironic....a meal for bariatric friends that I could go all out on.

I'm so down with this.

Be right back......busting out a few walls and doing some sheetrock work to add more sleeping space and getting day passes at my gym for everyone 'cause ya'll are some active folks who I have to keep busy while I fire up dem coals.

Just kidding....I'd hire somebody that can actually BBQ & cook and leave me outa of it......I'll tend the bar and enjoy every minute of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Count me in!

kingdavid757,

Congratulations on getting close to goal and approaching the 100 lb lost mark!

I think sweet potatoes are a wonderful choice to add if you’re looking for a few extra calories to slow weight loss (or even if you’re not looking for “extra” calories – they’re worth fitting into your meal plan). They’re super high in beta-carotene (Vitamin A in an antioxidant form). They also have dietary Fiber and Vitamin C. They also have potassium, which helps balance sodium and lower blood pressure.

They do have some sugar, but not too much. A small sweet potato has 6 grams of natural sugars. That’s less than the amount of natural sugars in a serving of plain yogurt.

So to me, if you’re looking to add some carbs, sweet potatoes are a great choice!

Sweet potatoes have a lower glycemic index than white potatoes and about the same glycemic load. They're also considered one of Nature's "super foods." They are healthier if boiled instead of baked. I sub them for high protein/low cal potato salad (in moderation). I also make sweet potato Cajun fries. I do not make the brown sugar and butter sweet potato casserole stand-by.

I am pre-op, but I see nothing wrong with them during maintenance so long as they are used in moderation like any other starchy vegetable. I like to combine them with black soy Beans, chilis, green peppers, cilantro, cumin and salsa. Num.

I like to blend 1/4 c of sweet potato (cubed and microwaved till soft) with a Protein cream of chicken Soup mix to make a sweet potato bisque. It's yummy!

Superfood

I like to blend 1/4 c of sweet potato (cubed and microwaved till soft) with a Protein cream of chicken Soup mix to make a sweet potato bisque. It's yummy!

Oooh that sounds good! I'm gonna have to try that!

I never went super low carbs. Always ate veggies, fruit and whole grains, even throughout my losing phase. I couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners for about 4 months, so even my fluids included regular sports drinks, pedialyte and diluted fruit juice. Ate mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with unflavored Protein powder added during my pureed and soft food stages.

i never wanted to deprive my body of the nutrients you really only get from food....all foods. i always kept my diet as "normal" and balanced as possible which made my transition to maintenance easy and seamless.

And now after reading this thread I'm headed to the store to buy some sweet potatoes....yum!

@@Dub - I'm in, bringing my guitar and I'll do the tunes!

Edited by Cape Crooner