Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Loose skin on arms

Hey all! I just got my date for surgery yesterday. I will be going to the loser bench on 2/8/16. When they called me with my date I was thinking "it is really happening!!" Now I know it is crazy but my thoughts keep going to my arms. I have always had large arms. I am wondering how many people have plastics on arms?

I already have a saggy belly and I am really not worried about that area having loose skin because spanks will help with that. I am.so.worried about my arms.

Also, I am curious if there is any relationship between stretch marks prior to surgery and how much loose skin you have after?

Thanks in advance!

I have always had large arms, but after I gained tons of weight they just got huge.

I have to remind all docs/nurses to use the largest blood pressure cuff or they'll get a false high reading. That being said, I have lost almost 4 inches off of each upper arm. There is definitely hanging skin/fat still, but I'm also developing my muscles and I am pretty sure I can wait a few years after hitting goal to assess how bad they really look. And I usually don't wear anything sleeveless so it won't be the end of the world if I just keep wearing cap/short sleeves to camouflage the wobbly upper arms.

I've still got a ways to go, but I feel SO MUCH BETTER and the arm thing doesn't bother me nearly as much now as when I started. I think we all tend to obsess over the little things that we are just sure will be awful in the early days - saggy cheeks, wrinkly belly, batwings - but this is such an involved process and your whole world is changing so much, that in my case, I'm no longer really that worried. I'll deal with it if it gets bad enough to bother me, but so far, I'm thrilled overall and I know it may still get better even years down the road.

I think that my upper arms and the wrinkly part of my neck are the two places I mind the most, but we'll see once I hit goal how much they really bother me. I've seen the surgery required for reducing upper arms, and I am not sure I'd want to go to that extreme but it really is going to be a waiting game to see how I feel in the end.

New Day Ahead - I think loose skin is a worry for everyone. Look at it this way, your arms will be a lot smaller after you lose the weight. You can do exercises to tone the underlying muscle, but a lot is going to depend on your age, amount of weight you need to lose, genes, etc. Once you lose weight you will feel better, move more, do more, etc......a little loose skin isn't going to keep you down. From reading the boards, plastic surgeons usually require you to be at your goal weight for at least a year before they will consider doing plastic surgery. I'm not at goal, but if my loose skin bothers me I will likely look into a plastic surgery consult. :)

Best of luck to you on your journey.

My arms are the area of most concern for me. I'm a bit over one year out from surgery and lost 160lbs. My arms are small now, but saggy and if I have any plastics, my arms will be where I have it first. My surgeon said to wait until 18months out of surgery before I make a final decision. I want to wear sleeveless tops and will feel better if I have the arms fixed, so summer surgery here I come!!

My arms are horrible! It's the one thing I want plastics on! I have lost 100 lbs and they are "smaller" but still big. ????

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1451450136.366854.jpg

And you are probably the only person who notices!

You look great!

My arms are horrible! It's the one thing I want plastics on! I have lost 100 lbs and they are "smaller" but still big. ????

attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByBariatricPal1451450136.366854.jpg

And you are probably the only person who notices!

You look great!

Thanks! I notice the most probably because I could probably fit into a Large shirt except for the arms and have to get Xl or Xxl

I think you are right, a little loose skin will be worth getting my life back. I think the only time it will really both me is in the summer and being in tanks etc. I already have wings so it probably won't be too bad.

My arms are already holding me back from wearing smaller sizes, like everything fits but my arms are still too big. I will probably have plastics on them at some point, but I have a little hope for them.

I have noticed this month they are tightening up a little. I purposely slowed my weight loss down a little because I was dropping too quickly and getting super flabby really fast, now that my skin has caught up, I am going to speed my weight loss up again.