Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost 93 pounds in 4 months but I dont feel much different.

Hey all! On August 31st 2015 I had the gastric sleeve surgery. since then I have lost 93 pounds! While it sounds like a dramatic weight loss, I dont feel much different. My starting weight was 414, and I am 5'11. Im still wearing the same size clothes, they just fit better than they did. It just doesn't make sense to me. I feel like I should dramatically look different after losing so much weight. Its kind of discouraging. If anyone can help, explain or share their story I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

@@leighannnn1791 Are you sure that you don't look dramatically different, but that you don't see it? I say that because I don't see that I look tremendously different when I look in the mirror after losing 96 lbs thus far. My clothes have always been pretty loose fitting, now they are just baggier. Where I see it, however, is in more mundane things. I fit in my truck a lot better. I'm more comfortable in furniture. I have a lot more stamina in walking around. Family members (how don't know about the surgery) have commented on how my face looks.

You should be immensely proud. Losing 93 pounds is a tremendous achievement. Having lost and regained large chunks of weight many times during my life, the one thing that I know is that I have always been the last one to actually notice it. Keep up the good work and trust that you will increasingly see the changes yourself.

@@Thucydides I mean people notice, I'm just discouraged that I cant really tell or that my clothes still fit. I definitely get what youre saying about fitting in the car different,sitting in furniture different and even being able to cross my legs while sitting. I just dont see it in the mirror. Thankyou for replying, It means alot to be able to talk to somebody about this. congrats on losing 96 pounds!

Four months isn't very long for your head to learn the new you. You've had how many years of looking at yourself in the mirror and seeing your "before" self. Your brain has to catch up before you learn to see yourself differently. Are you measuring yourself, say once a month?

Something else that can fool you is wearing the same clothes. Have you gone somewhere and tried on clothes, especially clothes that aren't made from stretchy knits or with lots of extra gathers, etc. for "give"? Try on a pair of jeans and a woven shirt and I'll bet you'll be surprised with how much smaller you really are.

You've made remarkable progress, own it and be proud!

Congrats on the loss! I'm 5 months out and 90# down. There are plenty of days when I don't see differences when I look in the mirror (naked or clothed), and others that I just say "wow"! I wore most of the same clothes for the first 50-65 pounds lost. I could see that they were baggy and people noticed, but they were still wearable. Purchased s few new items and felt amazing.

Aside from clothes it's the little things. I cross my legs and love it! I slide in/out of booths at restaurants, I have collarbones again. I look at my legs in some angles and am amazed they're mine, lol. Find the positive and things will come together.

At 414 pounds your starting BMI was 57 (classed as Super Morbidly Obese)

After losing another 93 pounds your BMI is going to be 44. (Morbidly Obese)

After losing another 93 pounds your BMI is going to be 31.(Obese)

Losing more will get you into the Overweight category.

I share very similar numbers and classifications. They are harsh places to find ourselves.

I sometimes think the 114 lbs I've lost is not really noticeable, too. I've got that much and more left to lose. It simply is evidence of how far out of shape I was. I'd allowed myself to fall off to the point where I was in a weight classification like you were.

Most all of us have dieted in the past and lost this much weight on our own, enough to get to the next lower BMI level...........and then backslid.

You had the surgery.....and will do the gym work needed......and maintain the discipline to do better than this. You did it to reach and maintain a level of NORMAL BMI.

93 pounds in 4 months is a start.....that is all. It's just a point in time on the way to your real goal. Don't hang up on....keep working hard to get where you want to be.

You'll get there.

Your old clothes will be long gone and you'll be strutting around nekkid all the time.

Keep working and you'll get there.

I had a very similar experience with my clothes. The thing is, I'm pretty sure the clothes I was wearing at 463 were actually fitting very tight on me and I was willfully ignoring it. I continued to wear those same clothes through the first 80-100 pounds lost, I think, until they were so baggy I couldn't stand it.

What helped a lot for me was taking pictures, even if it was just my face. Just looking at my body in a mirror didn't encourage me at all. The scale dropping and watching my face slowly get slimmer is what gave me the biggest boost. Try not to get discouraged - you'll be dropping those old clothes off at Goodwill before you know it!

thankyou guys, glad to gear that I'm not alone! I'm looking forward to the future, I just wish it would be here quicker!

I have a very sneaky suspicion that we'll hit our goal weight and look back and be amazed that it happened so fast.

Look what you've done in 4 months. Now give it 8 more and see where you can be......

It is an intoxicating thought when you consider how much progress is occurring every week....even though it may seem slow.

You are doing great.

Hey all! On August 31st 2015 I had the gastric sleeve surgery. since then I have lost 93 pounds! While it sounds like a dramatic weight loss, I dont feel much different. My starting weight was 414, and I am 5'11. Im still wearing the same size clothes, they just fit better than they did. It just doesn't make sense to me. I feel like I should dramatically look different after losing so much weight. Its kind of discouraging. If anyone can help, explain or share their story I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

I didn't start out as heavy as you and I haven't lost as much. One thing I expected was for my clothes to just fall off, and they don't. I was 4 sizes down and my old clothes fit but were baggy, they were really baggy but not falling off.

I went shopping and got new clothes that fit, and thew out every single old thing. i go every 2-3 weeks and try new sizes and once I can wear a new size I dump the old sizes.

I usually only have 1-2 pairs of jeans I can wear at a time right now and just a few tops. It keeps me motivated to keep losing and it makes me look at myself outside of my house. I find that I can see my weight loss more in stores than I see it at home, and trying on new clothes really helps. I am still plus sized but I am at the lower end of plus size, not barely squeezing into 28s and feeling comfortable in 30s.

Go try on some new clothes, you might be really surprised. I never "felt" or really saw my weight loss until I got started buying new clothes. I'm down 5-6 sizes now, and even when the scale isn't moving much I am still dropping a size every 3 weeks or so.

For those of us who started at a higher weight, it takes longer. I am an apple shape, and my clothing size didn't change for the first 80 lbs. Now, I lose a size every time I drop 10-15 lbs. Don't worry, you'll soon be approaching territory when things will start to change more dramatically.

I still feel heavy and not much different, even though the change is becoming more dramatic now. I hold up smaller clothes and go "ugh, this is impossibly small and won't fit," but then it does with room to spare. It's like our brains still have the same sense of spatial awareness and can't comprehend the shrinking space out bodies occupy.

Hang in there, it'll get better and the results will finally start to show in a way you can see.

I started at 401.5 and now am at 314... Almost no one has said anything about my weight loss. I don't see it much other than in the way my clothes fit... I've always been a skinny jeans and fitted tops kinda girl and I've noticed my clothes aren't hugging me as tightly as I like. Finally went shopping and realized I went down 3 sizes for the same fit. I try to not focus on the way I look and, instead, on the way I feel. I don't get as winded when I climb stairs and exercise, my back isn't hurting like it used to, I have more energy, etc. the rest will come.

I think this phenomenon is pretty common the shock from it is universal. I lost 50--60 pounds and you couldn't tell much until I hit that 60 pound mark, and I also wore the same clothes for the first 50 pounds. The truth is they were probably not very well fitting to start, and as they got more baggy, I loved the way it felt. It was so comfortable and I felt like I was wearing pajamas to work!

However, once I hit that 60 pound mark, things suddenly changed. You could tell every 20 pounds or so. Once I got closer to goal, you could tell every 10 pounds. Now at three years out, I can tell if I gain 3 pounds. Never thought I would experience that! I used to be aggravated at skinny girls who said they could feel a couple of pounds because I could (and still can) gain that in a day. Now I am one of them. You will be, too!

Still new....but I have lost like 66 lbs so far.....which is over 50% of what I need to lose...but it is hard to see the difference in myself. Today I finally took pictures so that I could compare...it has helped a lot to see the difference! My family hadn't realized that I had changed so much b/c they see me everyday...I did something like this on an online collage maker. Maybe making your own would help

Comparing- 6 weeks post-op but working on diet for 6 months

I was told to think about it this way: when you start at a high weight like we did, it's like comparing a roll of paper towels starting with say 200 sheets.... Use 80 of those sheets and you still have a lot of the roll left... Now let's say you went the cheaper way and got a roll from the dollar store with only 80 sheets... Alas!!! There's no more paper towels! So think of us as the BOUNTY super rolls!!! We'll get there!!! BTW 4 and a half months post op and down 96lbs, can't hit that 100 pound loss for the life of me. It'll happen....eventually. Good luck and keep on keepin on