Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Advice needed

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some advice from real people who have gone through this. I'll try and make this as short and to the point as possible.

Basically, I've been struggling with my weight for my entire life, as I am sure is the case with many of you. I have tried every diet known to man, always lost weight and always gained it back plus more. I am currently at my heaviest with a BMI of 36. I recently started looking into weight loss surgery and had decided on the LapBand....or so I thought.

I had a consultation with the surgeon on Monday who basically told me that he didn't recommend the band for me and strongly suggested that I go with the sleeve. He said he would put the band in, if I really wanted it but it would be against his guidance. Needless to say, it was not what I expected to hear nor what I wanted to hear.

So, that brings us to now. The sleeve and the bypass was never anything that I considered. It's not that I don't want something "permanent" cause I am scared that I will change my mind but I am scared of doing something irreversible, in case there are problems. I mean, what if I never eat again and have to be fed through a tube for the rest of my life? As an example. I'm feeling super discouraged cause this was my only hope. I don't have a plan B. Can someone please tell me how this has worked for you, if you are happy with your decision, why you chose the sleeve, whether I am being completely ridiculous, etc.? It would be great to hear from real people who are going through similar things and not just a doctor who doesn't understand.

So much for keeping this short. ????

Thanks in advance to all!

I can't offer much, I'm only 10 days post op but originally that is what I wanted. After research I decided against the band due to complications, always getting fills, and having a foreign object. The first doctor I went to was opposite as yours. I wanted sleeve by that point he suggested band but was willing, I found a new surgeon as the only reason was band was that surgeon's specialty.

I researched alot on here and after my initial thoughts band was never an option. Keep reading and be sure to ask the people who had band to sleeve revision

Also to had there are success stories with the band for me though sleeve was the better option.

Edited by Leesa926

My BMI is just over 40. Originally, I also wanted the band because it sounded less invasive. Then my PCP sat down and gave me a serious talk about all the complications that they have been seeing with the band. After that she told me about all the good research that has been coming out about the sleeve. It was a tough decision because the idea of having any part of me cut out is scary. In the end, I did a lot of reading, considered my doctor's advice (I respect her a lot--she's a terrifically talented physician) and decided to have sleeve surgery. I'm still awaiting my surgery date. I've had plenty of time to reconsider since my insurance wants 6 mos. supervised dieting. Going on 7 months later I am still happy with my decision.

So I'd suggest doing a lot of reading, not just asking on here. You might also want to ask people who have had the band about the surgery and their feelings. There's a forum here for bands, too.

I had the band about 13 months ago and am down 75lbs. I think that any WLS will work as long as you follow the rules. Your BMI is not that high. Will you qualify for surgery? Usually insurance requires a BMI of 40 or 35 with comorbitities.

I have had no complications. If you are really interested in the band I would find a doctor that is supportive. Don't get the band with a reluctant Doctor. Good luck! I too wanted something reversible and also adjustable.

I chose the sleeve and never considered the band. I have a cousin who has a band and when I asked her about it she said that if she were to do it today she would get the sleeve.

You have to make a decision based on what is right for you, but I would agree with your surgeon.

I was sleeved April 20 of this year and couldn't be happier with my recovery and results so far.

Keep researching and asking questions about all of the procedures until you are confident about your choice. You don't have to decide today.

I never considered the lap band because I have read about all of the complications and I know several friends that have struggled with the band for years. One of my friends lost his life 4 days after surgery, another with the band vomits every time she eats and this has been for years. Several other of my band friends have gained much of their weight back. My sister had the sleeve one year ago, she weighs 130 and she has never looked back and she recommended that I do the research for myself. So after months of reading, doctor visits and talking to people on here, I went with the sleeve. I am 6 weeks post op, 36 pounds down and I would do it all over again. I have had some slight complications but nothing I couldn't handle and nothing that compares to losing 36 pounds in 6 weeks. Pounds that will never come back! Read all you can, ask questions, talk to your doctor and your nutritionist and make an educated decision. Good luck! Keep us posted on your journey. BTW, my BMI was lower but I have several co-morbidities and I am a self pay so I did not have to meet insurance criteria.

Thanks for the replies. I did check out the band to sleeve revision forum (thanks for the tip) and didn't realize how many complications the band had. I guess I have a lot to think about. My BMI is high enough to qualify if I also have sleep apnea and I am having the sleep study done on 1/5. After that, I will know more. I also have the 6 month waiting period for insurance so plenty of time to research. Thanks for all of the replies. I would love to hear more, if anyone has the time to share their stories. ????

I had a similar experience- I went in to my first appointment hoping to do the band because of the "less evasiveness" - however after taking with several people including the dr. I decided that the sleeve was a better choice. I am 4 1/2 months out and about 55 lbs. down. I have not had any complications. The dr. also repaired a hernia. It is a little weird thinking about what has been done to my stomach but it has been a great decision. I know that without the surgery I would not be where I am today! All the best!

I too initially went to my first appointment with the band in mind. I have Kaiser, and the facility I went to will no longer do the band. The surgeons said they were doing more revisions than initial surgeries. So I went with VSG. I'm so happy I did. I'm almost 7 months out and down about 75 pounds. The side effects I have experienced are Hair loss, gall bladder removal, and I have experienced dumping syndrome twice. But I wouldn't change a thing. My hair will grow back, gall bladder removal is common with large loss of weight regardless of how the weight was lost. And the dumping syndrome is all it's cracked up to be.... So I will not cheat with a cupcake or sliver of cheesecake. Those will never be my normal again. All in all, it's a great deterrent.... Other than that, my BMI is less than 27, I can walk for miles, uphill. I can dance with my granddaughters, run if I want to, climb fences, hike long distances, and jump rope. Other complications... I don't know how to shop for clothing. I don't know what sizes to try on, I don't know what my style is other than putting it on and hoping it hangs right to cover the rolls.... But the high heeled boots I got for Christmas are a good start! It's also much less expensive to go on date night with the hubby. Hot tea at dinner is considerably less expensive than the good Chardonnay. And a shrimp appetizer becomes your whole dinner. Not a day goes by that I don't Celebrate having done this. I would recommend it to anyone who isn't afraid of a little hard work, commitment, and determination.

I had the same experience when I went for my consolidation back on 2013. Surgeon really was against the band and advised me to go with the sleeve. He said I'd prob only lose 30lbs. Well I was head strong and got the band in 9/13. Lost 25lbs in 8mo but I wasn't really following a diet plan. I had a demanding work schedule and didn't focus on my weight. Them got pregnant in 5/14. Gained 50lbs.

Long story short, I just got a revision to sleeve 12/1. Have lost nearly 20lbs so far.

I'm happy with band thus far. No throwing up or getting food stuck in band. No sliming. No fills. It's a whole diff experience.

It's a huge decision...take ur time and be comfortable with it. Good luck.

I've been told by a friend who is a surgery assistant at a large area hospital that she sees more coming out than going in. Just some food for thought

P.s. I had originally looked into the band as well, but after a lot of intense research on band vs sleeve. Especially on cost, EWL, and percentage of long term weight maintenance. I decided to go with the sleeve. If all goes well I should be having my sleeve in mid-feb

I originally wanted band as well, but after surgeon advised sleeve, I went with that and am 1 year out of surgery and have lost 160lbs.

Best decision I ever made!!

SW 311, CW 151

I am new to the forum. I got sleeved on nov 24. Keep researching I also wanted the band but after more research decided on the sleeve due to the many revisions of lap band to the sleeve.