Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psych Evaluation.

I can barely remember. I did a little booklet that asked about family history and supports. The meeting with the psych was very conversational. I got the impression she just wanted to access my feelings and expectations about what this surgery would be like.

They try to get in ur mind if I have any mental stuff going on u want to make sure to stay on the subject of weight loss wanting to be healthy etc....they will ask if u feel something bad in life caused ur overeating etc.... Just make sure how I answer if it looks as though I are suffering from depression etc... They may not clear u...... For example my weight gain started when I lost my brother at u yrs old to leukemia I admitted that to the psych but I also said that I've moved passed it I miss him but that was 22yrs ago and it's been a fight to take those lbs off and I need a tool to help me I want to be healthy and live life tothefullest..... I was cleared my cousin however was more like I want to feel good about my self I'm so depressed I think this will help....... Took her 2 yrs to get cleared from psych because She was so depressed

Sorry.... Autocorrect sucks lolz

I am a psych NP and do psych evals for a living (not specifically for WLS though).

Your psych eval is probably just to make sure you are not in the middle of a manic episode and making an impulsive decision; that you have realistic expectations (i.e. NOT - I weigh 350 lbs now and after surgery I will lose all this weight and apply to the Miss America Pageant); that you are making this decision yourself and it is what you want (i.e. you don't have a controlling boy/girl friend/spouse that is forcing this on you; that you don't have such a low IQ as to be unable to make your own decisions, that you don't have a mental illness such as body dysmorphic disorder, etc.

Also it can be more info to support your surgery to your ins company. If they can document how being heavy affects your mood and emotions that may be beneficial to get the ins. co. to say "yes".

I would imagine people are rarely disqualified for a psych eval and if it does happen to a person, it probably should happen to that person.

Edited by RuralNurse

for my psych eval, the psychologist literally introduced himself, ask me a couple of questions about myself (about 5 min tops) then left me in a room by myself to complete a booklet of about 200 random multiple choice questions, i turned the booklet into the receptionist when i was done and that was that.....mine was nothing serious....i think you would have had to seriously have mental health issues in order to not pass

What diets have you tried?

What do you expect from this surgery?

What does a normal day of eating look like?

Do you binge?

Do you graze?

Have you ever been physically, sexually, or emotionally abused?

How much do you drink?

Are any of the members of your immediate family alcoholic?

Are you now or have you ever used illicit drugs?

Do you now or have you ever smoked?

Who in your family knows of your decision to pursue WLS?

Who lives in your household?

Edited by psychprof

What diets have you tried?

What do you expect from this surgery?

What does a normal day of eating look like?

Do you binge?

Do you graze?

Have you ever been physically, sexually, or emotionally abused?

How much do you drink?

Are any of the members of your immediate family alcoholic?

Are you now or have you ever used illicit drugs?

Do you now or have you ever smoked?

Who in your family knows of your decision to pursue WLS?

Who lives in your household?

WOW! They asked about sexual abuse and alcoholism for yours? Mine was much more laid back. None of those questions were asked.

There's evidence in the literature that victims of abuse/trauma are at higher risk post-surgery for regain and other complications.

It was explained to me that past abuse would not disqualify one from the surgery but just help the team put together the best plan for support.

OW! They asked about sexual abuse and alcoholism for yours? Mine was much more laid back. None of those questions were asked.

A true psych eval asks all those things because they can be very relevant.

Yours may have just been a "hoop" for insurance, meaning surgeons will contract with psychologists, nutritionists, exercise physiologists, ect to do the evals and treatments and make recommendations that the ins demands. They will have people that they refer to knowing they will usually do what is necessary to get the surgery done. Remember it behooves your surgeon to get the ins to pay for it. And typically a psych eval is reimbursed for a certain amount. Lots of therapists and psychologists do side work in the form of evals for certain things (my friend does chemical dependency evals and gets $1000 for a 3 hours consult requested by an attorney).

So some do a "real" eval and do a thorough job and some do what it takes to get paid.

Edited by RuralNurse

I remember being real disappointed with the psych evaluation.

I felt like I could have just as easily logged into the hospital website and filled out a questionnaire and I would have saved myself from having to take the day off from work and the gas to drive to the hospital.

Very basic questions. Like a simple personality questionnaire.

No real advice other than them saying "stop being fat" in a more PC kinda way.

Oh I understand the reasoning, and perhaps they touched on it and I don't remember. I remember the booklet was very intense and my H & P was pretty thorough. I also wasn't nervous at the thought of a psych eval so I may just not be remembering it.

Mine seemed a little involved as compared to some of the responses, so I guess it varies a good bit. There were questionnaires to complete before the appt. Mostly about my weight history which it was a little difficult (impossible) for me to remember all the times I have lost or gained over 10 lbs and why...because I'm 51 and have been a yo yo dieter for most of my life!

At the appt I had another 457 questions on the computer (MMPI-2). My copy of the report says they used the following assessment instruments: MMPI-2, clinical interview, Shipley institute of living scale, beck depression inventory, state trait anxiety inventory, 3 factor eating questionnaire and a wt and lifestyle inventory.

It all took 4 hours which included about 30-40 mins sitting in the waiting room. The psychologist said they are looking to see if you can understand the risks/benefits of surgery, have some type of support available, current or hx of addiction, etc.

The surgeon let me choose from several providers in the area. I looked for someone close so if I need to see them again in the journey, I could. I don't think I will, but you never know.

The article they gave me to read before the appt recommend asking the psychologist what they thought might a challenge for me after we talked, etc. The article also recommended asking for a copy of their report.

I asked about the challenges and she said she thought I was a good candidate for WLS. Said, in general, people sometimes struggle if they have complications or if they did not fully understand the dietary restrictions/requirements. Fair enough.

She offered to send me a copy of the report. It came in the mail about 2 weeks later. It seemed to be a good reflection of what we talked about at the appt.

I guess it's human nature to worry a little about a "psychological" evaluation, but dont sweat it.