Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holiday back sliding...

Hello- i am 9 weeks post op and i have completely fallen off track. Im still currently loosing but with the holiday right around the corner the rules have gone out the window and i have allowed myself to eat a littke of this and that to feel "normal" at parties etc. just looking for some support to get me through this season.

First off.....I see this is your first post.

Welcome.

Hang around, please.....keep posting.

You're 9 months out and have probably been through so much that would help the rest of us newbies.

You stated that you are still losing.

GREAT !!!! You are still in the driver's seat and in control.

I goofed as well.

My weight had been fairly well decreasing until the "holiday meal season" at work.

My work department and all the other adjacent departments have been catering in holiday meals and/or doing cover dish type stuff.

It's been amounted to three weeks of caloric side dishes, Desserts, etc. etc.

Talk about getting off my game.......sheeesh. I've grazed on stuff just like you described...."this and that......and that and this....." for a couple weeks at work.

The carbs and high sodium stuff really do throw me off track quickly.

I was able to get back on track and fired up the metabolism this past week and posted a new low weight this weekend.

I did it by purging out the evil carbs. I went back to the basics.....tons of Water, Protein shakes and grilled protein.........and a lot of walking.

It wasn't a full blown BEAST-mode effort or anything.....just a low-carb, solid Protein food base with activity amped up a bit.

Back to the losing.

I'm doing some grilling and cooking on Christmas day. Most of the sides will find me avoiding them......except a batch of black-eyed peas that I"ll make. I can't resist those. A small serving or two and I'll be done. I'll hit the turkey and ham much harder, though.

I'll also get my walking in that day, too.

The holidays are tough, tough time to lose weight but it's seriously possible if you are strict on the days & times that you are on your own. Grazing and socializing within a group setting is an easy scenario to lose that discipline, but what's the harm....you gotta enjoy the experience, too. Hard not to sample stuff when a friend has made their "best" dish and is asking you to try it. Just a week or two more of the celebrating and then on to lean living, right ?????

Again, welcome and please stick around and keep posting.

You could really help a lot of us.

Thank you Dub, I am hoping perhaps some online support is the link i am missing. I am only 9 weeks post op though so not a whole lot of expertice to share. Just some struggles and some hopes for a better me. Thank you though for your comments it feels good to know im not the only one sometimes. Protein Shakes here i come!

Went to my first Christmas party on Monday night. Wow! I stayed on trace but was very very hard to resist. As soon as the cake was cut and gifts exchange was done. I was out that door so fast. Now here my problem. The big two days with family. I can't run out that door and get away with it. This is going to be much harder than I first thought it would be. I do have a plan to eat mostly Protein and drinking Water to stay full at all times. Now at this party I kept a bottle water in my hand at all times, so I would follow the main rule no eat and drinking. By doing this I couldn't snack on anything in between. Now that being said that worked for a short evening but worried about long hours around all these foods with family. All we can do is our best and get through it the best we can and if we fail get right back on trace . That same day. Well that's my plan. Hope that helps some. Good luck.

You sound like you know what you need to do. It's not easy, but you just gotta get back to the basics of Protein first, then veggies. Drink 64oz of Water, and stay completely away from the white stuff (bread, sugar, rice, pasta) as it causes cravings. Move a little more.

Yes, you will still be losing weight. But something people don't understand is early out, you're not really steering the ship. You will lose weight pretty much anyway no matter what you eat. What you should be doing is cementing better habits for when the time comes where you WON'T be automatically losing weight anymore. You also want to keep off what you've lost.

It's hard work, but unfortunately it's the burden we all have to bear to save ourselves from the disease of obesity. It's up to each of us whether we want saving or not.

@@Dub - you saved a fellow NEWBIE!

@@KLou - Dub is right, online support is a godsend because we can get online and say (type) what is really going on. I am referring to emotions and needs.

If it is a medical issue always contact your doctor or go to the ER.

I am still a "newbie" - I am 8 months post and yes - grazing at the holidays is not cool. I am doing it too. scale shows it as well. I think I am going to literally walk around with a bottle of Water in my right hand (I am right handed) and my cell (on BP app) in my left hand. that way I would have to sit something down to pick up a piece of pound cake, a potato chip or a glass of wine :D

Y'all are all so wonderful. I am glad I found this site months ago. Thank goodness we have each other.

Thank you for all the tips and tricks i will be spending my holiday getting back to the basics! Hopefully it will come and go and i can get back to my journey without food everywhere!

I too have been grazing. I'm 9 weeks post op too. It is really hard not to partake in all of the wonderful looking food. Thanks for all the wonderful advice. It really helps to have yall's support here. I'm planning a workout first thing in the morning and getting back on track. We can do this!

I was sleeved 10/19 and the struggle is real. I keep saying I must have healed really fast as I have never had a problem and can hold more than 4 oz. I'll be a life long tracker and measurer. I have to use these early months to change habits, but man it isn't easy.