Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you guys eating?

Hey guys I just wanted to find out what everyone is eating after their surgery. I had my surgery 12/7/15.

Chickfila, subway, salad,ect.

Please list what kind of places you are eating at, how far along you are, can you finish what you are eating?

I certainly hope no one is eating Chickfila, Subway, or salad at 15 days post-op!

At 15 days post-op I was only allowed Protein shakes, strained cream Soups, and yogurt. When I was allowed legumes and ground meats, I had some Wendy's chili. I managed about 1/4 of a "small" chili back then.

I wasn't allowed salad for a looooong time. Raw veggies were a no-no until I want to say around the three month mark? Unfortunately, once I was allowed them, I discovered they caused TERRIBLE burping. Haven't been able to ear raw veggies at all post-op. I'm now going on 16 months post-op and they still cause me to burp uncontrollably. Cooked veggies are fine, but I still don't eat much of them, because I have to put my Protein first, of course.

If you are looking for some good ideas for things to eat during your puree stage, check out the recipes here:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/pureed-foods.html

I practically lived off the baked ricotta recipe for my entire pureed stage.

I had my surgery on 11/18 and I am currently eating greek yogurt, tuna salad with eggs and diced pickles, cream of wheat, scrambled eggs mixed with cottage cheese, Jello sugar free pudding, and sugar free cherry flavored Jello. One day I was really brave last week. Our school was sponsoring a bbq lunch. I tried small portions of potato salad, Beans and bbq pork. It was too much and the meat wouldn't digest. I was sickly the rest of that afternoon. So, besides that one glitch, it's working nicely.

I'm three weeks out today. My FAVORITE thing is finely shredded chicken (that I pulsed in a food processor so it's super small), with Frank's buffalo sauce and fat free ranch. I'm also eating a lot of chicken salad with light mayo, egg salad, and shredded chicken with sugar free BBQ Sauce. Almost everything I'm eating is Protein, although I did have shredded chicken on top of a little mashed potatoes with gravy and it was amazing.

I'm also mixing unflavored Protein in with my crystal light and I'm finally able to get my protein and fluids in.

Lol, I would assume you were referencing the fast food options as potential food you might eat in the future when you are back on solids? I am 28 months post-op and this is what I ate today:

Breakfast- Pack of instant oatmeal mixed with Water, heated, drizzled with honey and 1/3 cup granola mixed in. I ate about 1/3 the bowl and tossed the rest. I eat this pretty much every single day.

Lunch- A Hillshire Farms small plate...it's basically an adult lunchable. I used to only eat half which is 9.5g Protein and 185 calories, but lately I've been eating roughly 2/3 or sometimes the whole thing.

Dinner- 1/2 chicken salad sandwich from Chik Fil A

Snacks: 1 Fiber One Bar, 1 bag of goldfish crackers, 1 grande skinny iced caramel machiatto

This gives me 48g Protein, 150g carbs, 11g Fiber, 40g sugar, 46g fat and 1,193 net calories.

Most days I am between 1400-1600 calories. Some days I go for a run and burn about 300 calories, other days I don't. I have been at goal since April and I fluctuate 1-3 pounds upward and back down. Sometimes I will have 1/4 of a subway sandwich....the good kind with marinara and American cheese and turkey. Sometimes it makes me barf, because my stomach is picky. At Chik Fil A, sometimes I will have half the grilled chicken sandwich or a 6pc grilled nuggets with BB sauce. The chili from Panera is really good but there have been points where I would eat half a Panini for lunch (the cheesy, fatty, kind). I did it very infrequently and now it makes me puke so not something I do very often. I almost never have sweets because I have found that this is the one way that I will gain weight pretty quickly. I also avoid Wheat Thins because they are a huge slider food for me and I will eat the whole box in a day. Fried food, food with oil, eggs and a lot of fish make me barf- my sleeve just doesn't like certain foods.

Overall though, at over 2 years out I eat what I want to, just in vastly smaller serving sizes than I once did. I have pretty much done that the entire time from about 3 months to now. I was self-pay so no one harped the nutrition program for me. As long as I put my food into MyFitnessPal everyday, weigh myself every single day, and stay on top of my calories, I have not had a hard time maintaining. The trick though is you need to weigh every day. I started gaining a little in October and it took me 2 months to get back down to where I am now, which was literally a 5 pound loss and it was miserable. I had my blood tests done this summer and all of my values are almost right in the middle of the normal limit spectrum, so not eating your butt off in protein everyday, which I have never done, is not going to hurt you as long as you are staying within normal daily levels. Don't skip 500 calories in protein because you want to eat 1200 calories in crackers.

Use the time you have now as a honeymoon, lose as much as you can in the first year to 18 months because that is when the restriction is the greatest. It is very possible to eat like a normal person and still stay at a healthy weight that you have accomplished with a sleeve. When I feel like having a Frappucino, I have one...with skim milk and whip cream. If I want a cookie, generally I avoid them, but every few months I will have a few. I eat Chik Fil A usually about once a week and usually about half a serving size, I eat Panera chili about once a week, I would eat Subway salads more often if it was closer to my house, and when I go out to dinner I order what I want (excluding stuff that is fried- puking at dinner is bad) and usually I only eat maybe 1/3 of a serving.

So, moral of my very long post, you are not going to starve and you do not have to swear off the food you like to eat forever. You get to a point where a few bites is all you need to be satisfied and this lets you maintain your loss. Do what works for you. Plenty of people on here would skewer me for this post because what works for them is totally different than what works for me. My thing is that I got a sleeve so I could be normal and normal for me is not eating cottage cheese, Protein shakes, broccoli and turkey for the rest of my life for every meal. Normal for me is what I'm doing right now...drinking a Diet Dr. Pepper (also something I've done since about 2 months out from surgery) and getting ready to go grab another snack pack of Goldfish crackers while I finish up the last of my work for the day.

@@AvaFern Thanks for your post. This is the way I will be eating for sure.

Was sleeved on Oct 13.

I don't eat out nearly as often as I used to......and that's a good thing.

I've mainly been doing my own stuff around the house:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/357500-9-weeks-out-and-loving-lifegrilling-my-back-out-this-weekend/

Some fast food stuff that I have tried and agreed with me came from:

Taco Bell-side order of their various bean offerings.

McDonald's: Breakfast biscuits w/o the biscuit part, grilled chicken sandwich w/o the bun, etc

Wendy's: chili

salad bars: everything but lettuce.....all the high Protein stuff.

Mexican restaurant today: steak chimichanga.....ate the steak & some of the Beans w/ cheese sauce

It's all about eating the Protein first.

The various flavors of pouched tuna has been outstanding. Perfect size and super convenient.

Quest Protein Bars.....hard to beat: 21 grams of protein, 17 grams of Fiber, 4 grams net carbs, normally less than 200 calories

I'm 5 months out and still take things easy. Everyday is different depending on what's going on. At dinner time I usually use a small dessert plate and eat a small piece of chicken, veggies, and if room a starch (usually potatoes or beans). Snacks are often string cheese, mandarin orange, or grapes. Breakfast 1/2-3/4 yogurt or two sausage links.

Today I went to lunch with my boss for Mexican food. I ate half of a beef enchilada (removed some of the tortilla), 3 chips, and a few tiny bites of rice. Took me about 30 minutes and I was at capacity. Last week we went for lunch at the Olive Garden. I had a some salad and was full. I ordered the mini spaghetti lunch and brought it home for the kids.

I try not to eat fast food too often. A panda bowl from Panda Express can last me a week. Half a taco at Taco Bell fills me up. At McD I eat most of a patty and toss the bun. At a sit down restaurant I split a meal with my husband and still have leftovers to bring home.

bread and I don't get along too well. A couple of crackers are ok, a slice of bread no. But as usual every brand/style affects me differently. I don't drink soda. I miss it, but can do without. I've taken a few sips from my kids juice box when really thirsty and found it too sweet and passed it on. Oj is ok in small amounts and slowly.

The important thing is to be patient and listen to your body. Not all foods will be tolerable.

If you are looking for what we are eating NOW, versus what we were eating when we were just a couple weeks post op, then here's what I typically eat these days at almost 16 month out and maintaining my weight:

Breakfast: coffee with Truvia and 1 oz. half & half followed by a Combat Crunch Protein bar (can't handle the new Quest Bars)

Lunch: 2 oz. of cheese with an ounce of peanuts OR leftover meat from a previous dinner

Afternoon Snack: coffee with Truvia and 1 oz. half & half followed by a Combat Crunch Protein Bar

Dinner: The Protein from whatever dinner my husband cooks. He makes single serving sides for himself, but I just eat the meat. We have a lot of shrimp, sausage, meat loaf, and chicken dishes.

Evening Snack: Coffee with Truvia and 2 oz. Silk followed by a Combat Crunch Protein Bar

I have become overly dependent on Protein Bars for sure! They are just so convenient and yummy and high in protein! I almost always have some sort of snack between my afternoon snack and dinner or dinner and my evening snack (depending on what time I eat dinner), but for that snack I don't emphasize protein, because I get all my protein from my meals and protein bars. I'll have chips, ice cream, a muffin, etc. Almost always something carb-y since I don't have many other carbs in my day.

When I eat out, which I often do for lunch or dinner, I always pick high protein options. If they come with carbs, I will either tell the server to just leave them off or I just don't touch them. I don't do buns/rolls on "sandwiches", rice, or Pasta, at all. I will occasionally do tortillas or tortilla chips, if I get something Mexican, but only a bit or two. If I order a "sandwhich" I order it without the bread or veggies. I get chili a lot of the time if it's offered wherever I am. If I get a sub, I usually get something with grilled chicken and just pick the chicken out and leave the bread and other toppings. I usually only do fast food if I'm traveling, here are some things I'll get at fast food places:

McDonald's: Grilled chicken sandwhich and just eat the chicken or sometimes just a 6 piece chicken nugget (only eatl 4-5 nuggets)

Subway: Cold Cut Combo or Subway Club and just eat the meat and cheese. Or Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki, again, just eat the chicken and cheese, no bread.

Taco Bell: Steak Quesadilla or Cheesy Gordita Crunch. I eat the meat/cheese first, but will also eat some soft tortilla.

Wendy's: Chili w/ cheese

At sit down restaurants, I almost always go with chicken of some sort, but I check appetizer menus for high protein options. I've been known to get chicken tenders and just peel the breading off. Chili pretty much anywhere that's an option. A lot of places will do grilled chicken with bacon, cheese, and BBQ Sauce as an entree or a sandwich and that's always a good option.

Basically, now that I'm maintaining, I don't worry about carbs as much, but I still always put protein first. So at a meal, that usually means not many carbs, if any. But for Snacks in between my scheduled snacks/meals, I'll often do something carb-y and not worry about it.

I'm 6 days out and am on essentially full liquids: Protein shakes, Tomato Soup, broth, smooth yogurt, Water, are my staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typical day for me at almost 3 years out:

Breakfast- 1/4 c oatmeal with 1 scoop Protein powder mixed in or a Protein Bar (usually Think Thin or Quest)

AM snack- half a Premiere Protein shake mixed in to coffee or tea

Lunch- salad with 2 oz chicken and crackers or leftovers from a previous meal

PM snack- Protein bar, 5-6 Hershey's miniatures from the receptionist's desk (damn her and her chocolates)

Dinner- Deli meat and cheese roll up with a salad or baked chicken with veggies and 1/3 sweet potato

Late night snack- nuts or popcorn or string cheese

I eat around 1,500 calories a day. To lose weight I drop to about 1200 calories by cutting carbs and add a day of cardio.