Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys and gals,

So, I'm about 4 months post op and I've started to lose a mass amount of hair! I have thin and baby fine hair as it is, but now, its just coming out in massive amounts. I feel like I have bald spots and its embarrassing! I know that after surgery, some experience Hair loss, but what is a healthy amount of hair loss? How long does it last? And will it grow back any healthier?

I have been taking my Vitamins, eating plenty of Protein, drink a crap load of Water, and I don't use hair products, and yet its still going. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything I can do differently? Any suggestions or remedies would be greatly appreciated!

:wacko: :blink: :blush:

I swear by collagen supplements. I use a marine collagen powder I can mix in my Water. It has helped tremendously. I am a year and a half post op. My Vitamin levels have always been normal, I get tons of Protein, water, exercise and still my hair has taken a huge hit. Much thinner, drier, and brittle. The collagen had slowed the loss way down and it's much softer and healthier looking. I don't think my hair will ever be what it was pre op, but it's worth it.

Just passing along some information....I already have alopecia (luckily I have long hair and I can cover it up). I was asking my surgeon about the Hair loss and he told me the hair loss associated with gastric bypass is much worse than it is with the sleeve. Whether that's true or not I'm not sure but for what it's worth that's what he said.

I have ordered a collagen product and I am taking Biotin as well and I wont have surgery for until next month. The Biotin has helped my hair grow (}other than the spots with alopecia) and it appears to be shiner as well.

Edited by animallover1247

Unfortunately, it's just a waiting game for the most part. I took tons of Biotin (started about two months prior to surgery), ate the proper amounts of Protein and also used medicated Shampoo (Nioxin) and it still fell out. As I recall, my hair started falling out around month 3 and it fell it in large quantities for a full 6 weeks. Every single night after my shower the drain would literally be full. It did not seem humanly possible to lose the amount of hair I was losing and possibly have any left, but I did. My hair was pretty thick to start with, but I did chose to get it cut short and highlighted about six weeks ago, which was coincidentally about the time it stopped falling out. My weight has plateaued, which I have also been told is also when it stops falling out. Hang in there, it will stop with time!

I'm really concerned about this. I think I will have to buy a wig. I'm taking Biotin and will purchase some colleges as well. Not looking forward to this part of the journey. ????

I'm really concerned about this. I think I will have to buy a wig. I'm taking Biotin and will purchase some colleges as well. Not looking forward to this part of the journey. ????

My best advice would be to get a wig now especially if your hair is prone to thinning or breakage . I have a great wig that I have been wearing for the last two weeks. I was trying to grow out my hair as it's in an awkward in between stage but also I wanted something to hide the Hair loss when it does happen after my surgery on the 4th . I can now rest easy knowing that I will not have to worry about when and how bad my hair will thin. I've also been taking Biotin religiously for about the last two years and I'm hoping it will help.

I lost my hair after childbirth and due to chemical relaxers at least three times in the past so I'm not overly concerned about it but I have been growing my hair out ( African American natural hair) with such care for the last 15 months I really want to keep as much as I can.

I see wig shopping in my future.

Can anyone suggest a good wig?

This is a big concern for me too. Does it happen to everyone?

I did a bit of reading up on wigs and lace wigs made from human seem to quite popular in terms of a natural look.

I guess we could embrace the opportunity to have a style☺️

Can anyone suggest a good wig?

for African American women with natural hair I recommend the Finger Comber line of protective styling units.

The best thing to do will probably be to search for a wig shop close to you and go and try some on.

FYI for Caucasian women .Black hair care stores usually carry a lot of wigs in many different colors and styles. Don't be afraid to go in.

The Hair loss can be challenging, that's for sure! I had already experienced permanent loss and overall thinning due to a difficult pregnancy so I was somewhat prepared. Now I just try to keep it in a style that best covers my 'bald spot' and curse the wind!! ????

I was lucky in that my hair dresser had a sleeve 2 years before my RNY. I, too, lost hair from months 4 - 6 but she told me be sure to take in a lot of Protein and wash with a Protein Shampoo (Bain De Terre Keratin Phyto-Protein).

My hair is starting to thicken up but she is keeping my hair on the short side until gets fuller and not so straggly on the ends.

I also took Biotin for a year and gained a mustache. Not cool. So I quit the Biotin but can't quit the mustache. :angry: