Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been banded for almost 4 months now and for about two months have expeienced Hair loss. I'm really worried about this. I'm taking Biotin and trying very hard to eat more Protein. It's hard getting that much protein down without getting "the brick".

Anyone had this problem? It totally freaks me out!!! Am I normal????:help:

Hello, I have this problem 11 months into it and the best way to stop it fast is have a protien shake every morning and protien snack. I use a protien made for bariatrics and it called unjury.com and i mix it with sugar free pudding some times. Hope this will help you out. :( rjb

I'm having the same problem, but my blood work doesn't show any deficiencies. Could diet still be the problem, though? Fortunately, I had a lot of hair to start with, but I've lost close to half of it---i'm really scared. I'm losing a handful everytime I wash my hair and quite a few strands every time I run my hand through my hair. Are the rest of you losing this much?????

Mine started at 4 months after surgery and now I am at 7 months and it hasn't stopped. I don't know what to do to stop it. I eat a lot of Protein and take Biotin. A lot of people say it's from anesthesia, not the WL surgery.

My friend just had open heart surgery, so I will see if she starts losing hair in 4 months.

OMG! I have been banded now for a little over a year, and my hair is still falling out. My hair has always come out more than usual, but it is so thin now, and I am even having to use this powder make-up product to cover the area at the front/top of my head and in the part of my hair to camoflouge (sp?) the scalp. I hate that we all have to go through this, and I pray that it really is temporary, and I am wondering how much longer it will go on before it stops. I also heard that anesthesia can cause this, but over a year later?? I think I'll go see a dermatologist to see what they can tell me. I too have quite a bit come out every time I wash my hair (I wash less often now.) and brushing my hair after the shower, I get a brushfull every time, and anytime I run my hands through my dry hair, I get hairs that come out. I hate this!! If any of you are interested in that product I mentioned.. It's not fun having to put make-up on your head, but at least for the time being, it helps me not feel self-conscious about my scalp being seen by the world. It really does work. Go to QVC.com. It's a Joan Rivers product made especially for the head. It comes with a brush that you stipple it on with, and it comes in like 3 colors. I also got this product (BlueHillNaturals.com). It's called Capilong, and it's supposed to help Hair growth. It's like $14 dollars for about 6-7 oz. or something like that. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and do not know yet if it works.

My Hair loss stopped at about one year out. I am almost 2 years out and have hair that is about 6" everywhere. Luckily, I have long hair and it used to be thick, so all those shorter hairs are not noticeable, unless I wear a pony tail. Then I have little short hairs all over around my face and neck.

I too had Hair loss at about 4 months. I was not getting enough Protein. Use a good whey Protein Powder. I like beneprotein and mixed it with Jello. Jello is also excellent for hair and nails. My nails were also badly ridged and brittle. The hair loss does resolve as you eat better. Take a multi Vitamin and again do all you can to get your protein in. I also used nioxin Shampoo which made my hair fuller and helped the psychological aspect. Good luck!:thumbup:

Maybe the Nioxen does work. That is one thing I didn't try. I am very fussy about my Shampoo and I didn't know if it would dry my hair out.

I lost my hair from 4-12 months. Now that I am coming up on 2 years, I have hair growing in around my face that is really annoying. When I put my hair in a pony tail, I have all these short hairs that won't fit in that look like I have side burns.

I ate tons of Protein took heavy duty Vitamins, and Biotin and nothing worked other than time.

My hair loss stopped at about one year out. I am almost 2 years out and have hair that is about 6" everywhere. Luckily, I have long hair and it used to be thick, so all those shorter hairs are not noticeable, unless I wear a pony tail. Then I have little short hairs all over around my face and neck.

PHEW. so it did grow back? is it just as thick as the old hair?