Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 year: just shy of 100

My 1 year appointment check-in is in a week. I was really hoping to be 100 pounds down for that, but I'm going to miss it by about 10 pounds. Sigh.

But I can't be too upset, because hey - almost 100 pounds down in one year is AWESOME. :D

I'm still going to do my best to ramp up the Water and tamp down the carbs the rest of the time I have left so I can get closer to a triple digit loss. So far, I'm achieving my Water intake, I'm exercising more than ever before and I'm keeping my calories around 1000-1200 with carbs under 75 mg a day. Fingers crossed I can make it to within 5 pounds by next week!

I did a quick pouch test and I can hold 6 ounces. I think that's a decent size and should be great for continued success.

Two of the many things I've learned that I have to be careful about:

1. Carbs have to stay around 50-75 grams or I will not lose anything.

2. It is really easy to eat over my caloric allotment if I allow myself to pick at food over several hours. I am now eating what I feel is a good portion, and then putting the food completely away so I don't sit there and eat on it over the next hour or two.

I'm a bit sad still seeing some folks posting about losing 100 pounds in just a few months... but my body isn't wired that way, and there's not a damned thing I can do about that. I am seeing a slow but steady loss and that is just fine really - slow but moving lower is still progress!

SO I still have about 40 pounds to goal. I am not going to be too upset if I don't make it, but I really think it is still possible. Here's hoping anyway! :)

Edited by FrankiesGirl

What a positive post...

Thanx for sharing...

Don't worry too much about what others are losing...

It's all about percentages...

As an example, I've lost just over 200 lbs in just under ten months...

Now that's a LOT of weight to drop, but it's only about 66% of my way to 'goal'...

(So we're actually running at about the same percentage..)

Not that I'm complaining of course...

Well done to you on your accomplishments thus far...

You should be well pleased...

If your stated goal is indeed your 'ideal weight' then by your numbers you have lost 69% of your excess weight in the first year. That is a resounding success!

Congratulations on a very successful first year, and good luck continuing your journey to your ultimate goal.

@@FrankiesGirl - explain how you did a quick pouch test. the more info the better~

I am wanting to do this as well but I haven't heard of a quick one :D

love the pic for "FrankiesGirl"

@@jane13

To test the size of your pouch, get a measuring cup, fill with 1 full cup (not tightly packed) of cottage cheese. Eat what you can fairly quickly until you feel full (should be done within 15 minutes or less). Then check the amount left (if any). One cup is 8 ounces.

Variation of test here:

http://www.bsciresourcecenter.com/proddetail.php?prod=A4

(but I don't see the point in wasting the whole rest of a container of cottage cheese, so I used a measuring cup)

I ate exactly 3/4 of a cup when I felt full, so I have approximately a 6 ounce stomach size (it's not exact since some cottage cheese could start moving out of your stomach within that time period, but close enough)

Congratulations on your success and continued progress!!! It's all very encouraging!

I'm a little over a year out from my surgery; have lost about 62 lbs. and have been maintaining within about 3 pounds for about 5 months now. My goal was to lose 100 lbs. Had hoped I would have lost it by the one year mark, but alas it was not meant to be. I continue to do what I know I'm supposed to do, but I do struggle with some old bad habits wanting to creep back in. Still weighing/measuring and tracking my food and exercising consistently regularly. It will come off when it's good and ready.

That is indeed awesome - congrats!

I love your positivity you rock and hey that's a lot of weight in one year congratulations

So update after my official office visit: 92 pounds down total for my 1 year anniversary.

The Nut and Doc both think I'm doing really well. But they think the slow pace is because I am over active and under eating. I have more than 1200 calorie difference between what I eat calorie-wise and what I burn exercise-wise. They want to see no more than a 500 caloric difference, so the body doesn't go into starvation mode. Understandable, but wow - being told to eat more or stop doing so much is a very funny situation for me to be in!

I got done with my 5 day pouch test, and no longer crave simple carbs and am back to having to remind myself to eat.

I am exercising more than I have in my entire life just because I want to, not because I have to. I actually got really giddy and excited about going out for a long walk yesterday morning! That has never happened. :D

Oh, and the doc said the pouch sizing test using cottage cheese is wrong and doesn't work since cottage cheese is so liquid it definitely would start filtering out of the stomach almost immediately. He said the only way to properly test the pouch sizing is with firm/dry meat like a baked chicken breast. So my sleeve is much smaller than the 6 ounces I could hold of cottage cheese. Good to know!