Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First post sleeve cruise in 3 days

We are big cruisers. It's how we spend our vacation time usually twice a year. If you have ever been on a cruise before, you know that food can be a big part of the experience. Our joke was that the second you step foot on the ship, they implant a tapeworm that makes you constantly want to eat.

Things will be a lot different on this cruise. It's not longer going to be about when the buffet opens or how many different Desserts to try. But, it will also be different in that we can do things we had not been able to do because of weight. Like trying to climb the rock wall (Not expecting much, but can try it for the first time). Excursions that involve more than sitting on a tour bus or on a beach.

So, the plan is to bring Protein bars and shakes on the ship. Breakfast of some eggs and meat. Lunches are easy in the buffet. For dinners, we are going to stick to the buffet and not the formal dining room. There is plenty to choose from as there are usually several Protein options. Not going to bring my food scale, so I will just eat very slowly and recognize my full indicators.

I'll let you all know how it went, but I expect nothing but smooth sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by marcy0912

@@marcy0912 have fun! You deserve it and it sounds like you are prepared, which is the most important part. Most likely you will be doing a lot of walking too, which should help any extra bites. Let us know how it goes!

@@marcy0912

Hope you have a wonderful cruise :) I have just got back from Cuba and the last week of the holiday we were at an all inclusive and it was fine. Plenty of choice and no one said anything about my one course instead of the usual three, they were all more interested in what they were eating themselves.

Let us know how you get on!

Hi Marcy. My husband and I like to cruise also. How long ago was your surgery? We would like to go in May or June (I'm thinking my surgery may be January or February), so I don't know when is right time. I know that there will be plenty of options for food, I just want to make sure that my new routine and way of eating is well established. Will they let you bring Protein powders on board if you explain that you need it? Thanks! :)

We also cruise, but on smaller ships where the food is wonderful, but not served in US portions. There are no buffets, and 3 meals are served each day. Of course you can overeat if you try. Prior to WLS I always came home a few pounds lighter than I was on day one. I would not want to cruise on Golden Corral eating-style ships.

Surgery was 9/29 so I'm about 10 weeks out. Only weighing once a month and am down 30 since surgery and 37 overall. I didn't mention that we will hit the gym or the running track every morning. Yes, we would be allowed to take the shakes onboard.

I'm on Allures OTS in June. I'll be almost 7 months post op. I plan on the same thing, take shakes on board and make good decisions on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got home from cruise I'm 9 weeks post op. Had eggs 1 slice of bacon or Cereal with skim milk for Breakfast. lunch was buffet Soup any a few bites of salad. dinner in main dinning room appetizer was soup main dinner fish and desert sugar free ice cream. I rarely can eat over 2 oz at meal. I'm just not hungry. I took my shakes with tried to get in 2 each day. You'll be just fine there are many options. We had a great time

Last cruise I went on was in 2011.

I was doing Atkins hardcore, but ate well during the cruise. Drank enough rum & beer to sink the ship. 7 days of this.

I weighed in at my gym the day after I got home. I'd lost 5 lbs during the 7 day cruise.

My secret was to avoid eating any carbs.....my only carbs came from the alcohol. Every morning......every single morning found me in the ships gym doing an hour of cardio and lifting weights. I was in BEAST mode and having a ball.

Going on another in March-April.....obviously a post-sleeve cruise.

Probably going to book it on the same ship since I know they have a great gym.

It was a great experience. It was a little challenging just getting into a routine with meals. Breakfast and lunch were easy. I brought Protein drinks for when I first woke up. Then eggs and a little bacon or cottage cheese for Breakfast. lunch was some carved meat.

Dinners were all at the buffet. Not drinking alcohol was not a problem at all. But I did find that getting all my Water in was a challenge

Best advice I have, is when you go to the buffets, take a small plate. It is much easier to not take too much since I did not bring my scale.

Next one is in 8 weeks!