Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach problems one year after surgery

So I had my GS in October 2014. Everything turned out well and I have lost ~120lbs (depending on what start dates you want to use). Things have been going well and I believe that I am pretty well maxed out my weight loss. However, I believe that I have been "abusing" my new stomach in the past several months by drinking diet sodas. Diet sodas is my one vice that I couldn't force myself to give up. I began drinking them around month 4-5.

Recently, my stomach has not been feeling very well complete with a lot of gas, grumbly pain that I can point to and now, loose stools. I have not had a soda for a few days now as I believe that that is likely the problem. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

I am over 2 years out from surgery and I have consumed diet soda since about 8 weeks post-op. I have never had an issue that I can attribute to the diet soda. I did notice though that at about a year post-op my stomach became supremely intolerant of certain foods. Any fats, cheeses, oils, sugars, or fried food makes me barf. I had about a year where I puked anywhere from a few times a day to a few times a week and I think I have now largely figured out that if I avoid certain types of foods and make a concentrated effort to eat slowly, I don't get sick.

Perhaps your stomach has decided it doesn't like diet soda, or maybe something else is causing the issue.

Oh, yeah.

It's acid, baby, acid.

Remember in science fairs how you (or someone) dissolved teeth in coca cola?

Yup.

That.

You gotta change your ways. ;)

Say it isn't sooooo!!! :o

I have obviously changed my lifestyle so much since surgery.....drinking diet sodas was my one "guilty pleasure". I'm hoping that this will pass soon but I have to confess that my first thought went to the sodas because of the carbonation and acid. To make matters worse, I've kind of ignored the pain for a few weeks but it has progressively gotten worse. Now, I can't pass gas without worrying if that will be the only thing to pass. :blush:

There are many issues that could cause those problems. I would see a doctor soon if they don't clear up soon after you stop the carbonated drinks.

I haven't had issues with diet soda. I started initially about two months out just taking sips and what not. Today I have it a few times a week, but usually don't get through the whole 12 oz can. It hasn't caused me any bloating or any other hardships, although I had a relentless hiccupping spell the other day.

I am not thinking your recent onset of symptoms could have much to do with the soda. It would've happened earlier rather than later if it were going to be a problem for you.

I would definitely see a doctor. While I agree that soda is a huge no-no and you shouldn't be drinking it, it might have nothing to do with your current issues. Out of curiosity, do you eat Quest Bars? I was experiencing terrible gas and loose stool when they made the switch from isomalto-oligosaccharides to soluble corn Fiber as their main ingredient.

No Quest bars but I have begun eating some new Kaschi cereals that are high in fiber. They definitely helped with my Constipation issues but perhaps a bit too much?

No Quest bars but I have begun eating some new Kaschi cereals that are high in fiber. They definitely helped with my Constipation issues but perhaps a bit too much?

Depends on the fiber source. If it's chicory root extract, maltodextrin, polydextrose, or other Prebiotic fibers, that could be the cause of your discomfort. Prebiotic fibers are known to cause bloating, gas, and other digestive distress. The flora in your intestines is very sensitive and can react differently to different types of prebiotics.

If the fiber is true dietary fiber, then it shouldn't be causing you these types of issues.

I suspect it's the Kashi, not the soda. I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't eat - but the stool issue is very unlikely to be soda. Some people are sensitive to some kinds of fiber. Try reducing the amount of the Kashi and see if that helps with your issues - or cut them out intirely and see if they resolve. If they do, then start adding them slowly back in (say, a tablespoon at a time). Good luck!

No Quest bars but I have begun eating some new Kaschi cereals that are high in Fiber. They definitely helped with my Constipation issues but perhaps a bit too much?

Depends on the fiber source. If it's chicory root extract, maltodextrin, polydextrose, or other Prebiotic fibers, that could be the cause of your discomfort. Prebiotic fibers are known to cause bloating, gas, and other digestive distress. The flora in your intestines is very sensitive and can react differently to different types of prebiotics.

If the fiber is true dietary fiber, then it shouldn't be causing you these types of issues.

I'll have to take a look at the ingredients.

I suspect it's the Kashi, not the soda. I'm not going to tell you what you should or shouldn't eat - but the stool issue is very unlikely to be soda. Some people are sensitive to some kinds of Fiber. Try reducing the amount of the Kashi and see if that helps with your issues - or cut them out intirely and see if they resolve. If they do, then start adding them slowly back in (say, a tablespoon at a time). Good luck!

I have cut both out for the time being. It has been a couple of days now since I have had either soda or Cereal. I guess we'll see.

Good. You're conducting a science experiment.

Please publish the results.

We'll peer-review your findings.

;)