Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been to gym everyday and still in stall!

Stalls are a normal, necessary, and natural part of the process of losing weight.

Just follow your program. Make sure you are getting in all of your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed and exercise.

If you are unsure if you are getting enough nutrition for your activity lev, why not see what your NUT has to say?

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall[/quote

I have not seen my nut since I got released from the hospital, they are always in class when I have had my check ups so I have a program through my insurance that does phone call with a dietitian and they said that I was not eating enough but I can only eat about 3 oz of Protein for lunch and dinner. I still can only eat about a bite of fruits or veggies.

Today I had:

Protein Drink

Water 20oz

popcorn shrimp(230 calories) 10 gram protein

Water 20 oz

Protein drink

3 pieces of shaved ham and a piece of Swiss cheese (140 calories)

Water 15 oz

If I eat any more I feel like I am going to get sick. I have tried to up calories but that just can not happen with how much food my body can handle. If I do get hungry in between meals I have a Protein Bar.< /p>

Doesn't sound like you are getting enough protein in, hence the reason why your body isn't giving up the weight. Can you make an appointment specifically to speak with the NUT?

I am getting over 60 grams of protein with just my Protein drinks which is the amount my nut requires. I have a book that my dr's office requires us to read and understand before they will do surgery. I looked it up again today and they said 60 grams, which means any and all I get from my food is extra protein.

Consider backing off on your exercise some until you are able to regularly reach your daily protein target.

I am getting over 60 grams of protein with just my Protein Drinks which is the amount my nut requires. I have a book that my dr's office requires us to read and understand before they will do surgery. I looked it up again today and they said 60 grams, which means any and all I get from my food is extra protein.

When I went to the gym last night I went 30 mins on the treadmill which was 1.75 miles with cool down. Then I got on stationary bike and went 7.75 miles and burned more calories than I ate. I got up today and weighed myself and I lost 1.4 pounds. I think I am going to stop working on arms and legs for a few days and just get back to burning calories so that I can lose a little then add back in my arms and legs.

Thanks everyone, as I thought I was the only one who would lose for a week or two and then stay within a pound or so for 3-4 weeks. It is different for each person and I know this, but some of us are somewhat alike. Thanks for showing me this.

I have weekly phone calls with the nut from my insurance and he is trained in the sleeve, and he has helped me meal plan and make sure I am getting enough Protein and my Vitamin levels are good with my meal plans and what levels I am taking orally. Best part is, it is all free through my insurance.

Also I got my blood work back today and all the levels that they checked were all within the high side of normal!! I think that this is awesome since I still can not eat but about 1/4-2/3 cup of food per meal:)

Edited by grandmaofone

The daily Protein requirement is a combination of the Protein from meals combined with the protein from supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars). So as your meal size increases, you may be able to reduce the amount of protein supplements that you take and the calories those protein supplements contain. That is if you concentrate on high protein meals.

Since you are doing medium exercise, your body may require more protein to compensate, so your minimum daily requirement may actually be larger than 60 grams per day.

You may be replacing fat with muscle. Muscle is denser and weighs more. So your body may be physically becoming stronger and you may be in better shape but not actually see it on the scales. When I was a young whippersnapper, I began jogging. I did this to lose weight. I worked myself up to 10 miles per day. I noticed that instead of losing weight I was gaining weight.

Stalls are a normal, necessary, and natural part of the process of losing weight.

Just follow your program. Make sure you are getting in all of your Protein and fluids, take your Vitamins and supplements as directed and exercise.

If you are unsure if you are getting enough nutrition for your activity lev, why not see what your NUT has to say?

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall[/quote

I have not seen my nut since I got released from the hospital, they are always in class when I have had my check ups so I have a program through my insurance that does phone call with a dietitian and they said that I was not eating enough but I can only eat about 3 oz of Protein for lunch and dinner. I still can only eat about a bite of fruits or veggies.

Today I had:

Protein drink

Water 20oz

popcorn shrimp(230 calories) 10 gram protein

Water 20 oz

Protein drink

3 pieces of shaved ham and a piece of Swiss cheese (140 calories)

Water 15 oz

If I eat any more I feel like I am going to get sick. I have tried to up calories but that just can not happen with how much food my body can handle. If I do get hungry in between meals I have a protein bar.

Doesn't sound like you are getting enough protein in, hence the reason why your body isn't giving up the weight. Can you make an appointment specifically to speak with the NUT?

I am getting over 60 grams of protein with just my protein drinks which is the amount my nut requires. I have a book that my dr's office requires us to read and understand before they will do surgery. I looked it up again today and they said 60 grams, which means any and all I get from my food is extra protein.

Consider backing off on your exercise some until you are able to regularly reach your daily protein target.

I am getting over 60 grams of protein with just my protein drinks which is the amount my nut requires. I have a book that my dr's office requires us to read and understand before they will do surgery. I looked it up again today and they said 60 grams, which means any and all I get from my food is extra protein.

You may need more of you are exercising a lot. 60 grams might be a minimum.

Also, have you considered switching up your exercise? I have heard it is good practice to have rest days between days when you do weight lifting, etc.

Ultimately, you will stall. It is normal.

But, you want to maximize your nutrition and optimize your workouts anyway.

I know men who work construction everyday, and what they do everyday is what some people only do for an hour at the gym...and they are still fat! In shape, yes, but also overweight. ( you can have both)

It always comes down to what and how much I eat...

I was fat because I ate too much...so with surgery I eat less, a lot less...and exercise to BURN MORE Calories on top of that.

Before surgery I used to go to the gym, and still did not have any positive results....it was only after surgery, when I got my eating and hunger under control, did I start to see positive and rapid results.

I'm also one of many who exercises on an empty stomach, relying on stored fat as my energy source..not what I may have just ate, otherwise ending up where I started..

After a workout my body is screaming for replenishment...it is here that I have to be most careful...eat something bad, and I'm back where I started...so it is then that I will have a "High Protein, Recovery" shake.

I know many people who feel they have to eat before a workout, marathon run, etc, etc...but these people are not fat..they have nothing in the tank, or put away in reserve..they need to put something in the tank prior.

Since I have lost all my excess body fat, I am one who needs my Protein Shake BEFORE my workout...but it was the other way around when I was still loosing.

Many people have asked this same question, and many people will give their replies, all different.

It comes down to what has actually worked for them, (not what they are simply repeating) and what will actually work for you.

But for me, it has always been calories in, versus calories burned, with exercise to burn off more calories yet.

Thanks for all the replies but I have resolved the issue a few weeks ago and currently am recovery from gallbladder surgery.

I know men who work construction everyday, and what they do everyday is what some people only do for an hour at the gym...and they are still fat! In shape, yes, but also overweight. ( you can have both)

It always comes down to what and how much I eat...

I was fat because I ate too much...so with surgery I eat less, a lot less...and exercise to BURN MORE Calories on top of that.

Before surgery I used to go to the gym, and still did not have any positive results....it was only after surgery, when I got my eating and hunger under control, did I start to see positive and rapid results.

I'm also one of many who exercises on an empty stomach, relying on stored fat as my energy source..not what I may have just ate, otherwise ending up where I started..

After a workout my body is screaming for replenishment...it is here that I have to be most careful...eat something bad, and I'm back where I started...so it is then that I will have a "High Protein, Recovery" shake.

I know many people who feel they have to eat before a workout, marathon run, etc, etc...but these people are not fat..they have nothing in the tank, or put away in reserve..they need to put something in the tank prior.

Since I have lost all my excess body fat, I am one who needs my Protein Shake BEFORE my workout...but it was the other way around when I was still loosing.

Many people have asked this same question, and many people will give their replies, all different.

It comes down to what has actually worked for them, (not what they are simply repeating) and what will actually work for you.

But for me, it has always been calories in, versus calories burned, with exercise to burn off more calories yet.

While I agree with most of what you're saying--and I was a workout on an empty stomach person too before I got to goal--I will say that marathon running (even half marathon running) is a bit different because of the speed and duration of calorie burn.

Most people will deplete their glycogen stores and not be able to convert fat to glycogen quickly enough to fuel the sustained effort that that level of distance running requires. 5k, 10k sure! But most overweight people burn more than 150 calories per mile (normal weight people about 100 calories per mile) so 1300-2600 calories worth of fuel is just not available to them from their fat stores over the 2-5+ hours that distance will take them to finish.

Do you need to fuel before a distance event? Maybe not. But most people will need to fuel during or they will hit a wall. And for peak performance (which may not be what they are arriving for) you would need to fuel beforehand too. 100cal per half hour or so is plenty though!

I work out a LOT. I've noticed a pattern to my body.. stall for about 2.5 weeks, then drop a bunch of weight (5 pounds) then stall again.. During the stall though, I am definitely losing inches.

I had surgery in June too and plateaued in Oct after losing 75 lbs. I started doing Beachbody challenge groups and have lost an additional 32lbs. You can do the workout programs in your own home and there are several different programs to choose from. If you want more info let me know.

When you work out your muscles, you are causing micro tears. The process of repairing them builds muscle. This process takes a lot of Water (and Protein, but that's another topic). This additional Water is reflected on the scale as a stall, or even a gain. If you are working out and the scale isn't moving, you might well be losing fat and retaining water, resulting in no net movement. You can probably move the scale down by giving up weight training and drinking caffeine to remove the extra water, but you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. (People talk about losing fat and gaining muscle, but it takes 6+ weeks to gain muscle. The extra weight is water, not muscle.)

Instead of measuring success by the scale, take your measurements: bicep, bust, waist, hip, thigh, calf. This is a much more accurate method of measuring fat loss. You might find that when the scale isn't budging, you are losing inches like crazy. If you aren't losing inches, then you might think about changing up your diet.