Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to get back on track? 16mo. Post op

I feel like I have come to a complete halt with my sleeve. I was doing so good I started at 243# and went down to 174#.

I now crept up to 182# and am not going to let myself get any higher than that.

I have been under a tremendous amt. Of stress and stopped my daily exercise program and crave carbs soo bad. I feel terrible and I know what I need to do its just getting back on the horse that's the hard part.

Any advice for me please?

I feel your frustration! I haven't lost any weight in the past few months and started creeping up recently. I feel like I'm falling back into my old bad habits. I'm working out more than ever, but my bad food choices are sabotaging my progress. There's no magic as we've learned! Willpower, making good choices and self control are the answers. Good luck and hope we both can get back on track very soon.

Go back to basics. Often people stop losing because they stop practicing those good habits. They start snacking and making not so great food choices. Carbs aren't evil, it's the type of carbs you eat that may cause trouble. Overly processed, highly refined carbs do indeed make you crave them more and more with little nutritional benefit. Replace those carbs with healthy ones and only eat a reasonable amount.

Plan and log your food.

Hit your Protein and Fluid goals.

Exercise.

Smart to look for a buddy/mentor. Take advantage of all opportunities to connect with the WLS world so that you have maximum accountability and support.

- Participate here in BP.

- Attend your surgery practice's support group. If it doesn't have one, check other hospitals; they usually welcome people who had surgery elsewhere.

- Take a look at shrinkyourself.com. Sign up for the free emailed newsletters; read them and do the exercises. You then have the option of registering for the paid version and/or buying Dr. Gould's book. I'm not recommending either of the latter, as I'm unfamiliar with them. It would be your choice.

- If you're rusty on making good food choices, see the RD at your surgery practice. You should be able to get the info you need in one appt.

- There are lots of books and other resources available.

I to am looking for someone to help me my starting weight was 245 now I am at 185 my one year anniversary is January 7 2016 I seems like I am at a stalled for last couple months and seems like I can eat more than I should I'm scared I don't want to gain back my weight !!! I find myself having bad choices when I get stressed I still turn to food I try not to but I do and I still have 30 lbs to go any suggestions i ride a stationary bike and try to eat more Protein than carbs ???? I need help

Good Morning,

I'm on here looking for support.. I started the WLS process 2 years ago and decided to give "dieting another try" I'm 30 pounds up after that non successful attempt. I made a decision to go for the surgery again. I've been approved after approximately 4 months but due to a commitment in Feb. I won't be having surgery until the end of March 2016. I'm filled with such a mix of emotions.. I need a buddy that can relate to some of my issues. I'm having a hard time making changes before surgery. I'm talking to a therapist and reading Shrink Yourself trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with me. I'm scared about lifestyle changes. We go camping all summer and seem to plan all our trips around food! This coming summer will be so different and I'm afraid of it. I want to chance so bad but my entire life is on big food frenzy. All that said I'm rambling.. If anyone reading this understands and can relate to this I'd love to have someone to go through this with. Thanks for reading..

Sounds like you are on track by taking the first step and asking for help.

I am not as far along as you in my journey but wanted to let you know I am rooting for you.

Going back to basics sounds like a great place to start. You have received some great advice above.

I also would encourage you to consider talking with a therapist or counselor, attending support group meetings through your bariatric program and/or other group like OA. Stress is a major issue for me, and all of these resources can help you learn to deal with stress in healthy ways.

Stopping and taking stock of how far you have come is always helpful for me, too.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

All the advice offered above is strong -- toughen up, get serious, go back to basics, find your discipline and just do it.

Also, get a counselor, therapist, shrink -- someone who can help you learn to cope differently with the aspects of your life that sabotage your efforts to care for yourself.

And now -- some frank talk coming at you here.

If a stranger were to take a look at some of our lives, their reaction would be: "Wow, no wonder! Your entire lifestyle and your family's lifestyle and your job and even your personal values are perfectly designed to keep you fat and to make you unhealthy."

There's no law that says we can't have frank discussions with our families about changing the way the family lives. Or that we can't change aspects of our jobs that stress us out -- or even get a new job. Or that we can't seriously consider whether some of the deeply treasured "values" we have clutched to our breasts all our lives aren't as weird as s**t and should be carefully inspected and perhaps discarded for better values.

Here's one I took a look at: After realizing (finallyl) that I took better care of my pets (and even some random strangers) than I did of myself, I decided that trying to be the Great Solver of Everyone's Problems wasn't doing me any favors.

Today I attend to my needs first, before those of others. Changing that one thing took the kind of discipline I'd never exercised before. And the weird thing is that nobody else has noticed. But it's sure made a helluva difference in my life.

Thanks so much for the great advise.. I am one that tends to worry about everyone else and don't even think about myself. I am talking to a therapist trying to get to the bottom of all of it. I just need to have a support system from like minded people...

Well I'm right with you!! I had the sleeve done 11/27/11. My lowest was 190 I'm now 265. I started the 5 day pouch test (let's see how that goes) maybe you should try it too