Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Serious Decison To Make

I don't have diabetes but the history of acid reflux was enough for my surgeon to immediately steer me away from the sleeve. He suggested the mini gastric bypass. It's just as effective as the gastric bypass, but a lot safer. And it is outlasts the sleeve in long term effectiveness.

I really wanted to stick with the sleeve but after a ton of research and a little trust in his knowledge, I'm going with his recommendation.

I'm another person who will be having the mini bypass. Mine will be in January.

I am a man so it might be a bit different. I just had DS on 12/7/15. I feel great. I am already on the weight machines lifting using arms legs and chests (no core or abs yet). Recovery was/is a breeze. I can drink a ton of Water. I went to Rex Bariatric in Raleigh where they have 3 or 4 surgeons and do all of the WLS types. I think that helps avoid the situation where "if you only have a hammer in your tool belt, everything looks like a nail." In other words, they are not pushing you to fit into one procedure because of a lack of skill in others. A group that does it all is skilled at picking the right surgery and competent at whichever one suits you the best. I had two other friends who got different WLS from my same surgeon - with great results. He recommended a different one for me. So, if you go to a place that can do it all, listen to them. They want success stories and no revisions. Don't let fear get in the way of the recommended option. They have to scare the crud out of everyone. Disclaimers and stuff. Also, us folks needing WLS probably haven't followed our doctors advice very well in the past -- and look where it got us. :). For me, I decided to concede that my brilliant opinions and decisions about my health were demonstrably proven to suck. So, I decided it was time to listen and obey the doctor, and I'm glad I did.

Edited by RedWolf

pre op diet started 11/30/15 (369 lbs). Had my surgery on 12/7/15. As of 12/21/15 I weigh 336. That's a 33 lbs in 22 days. At this rate I will weigh 0 lbs in 8 months.

I'm a sleeve. I liked the idea that it's simple, (no rerouting) and there was less chance of Vitamin deficiency, but If I had the co-morbidities you list, (esp the diabetes), I've have jumped on the DS bandwagon when recommended by my surgeon (he would have insisted in light of diabetes) without a second thought. Do your research. Sometimes there is a clear "winner" procedure given the patient's particular condition other times not so much. If you're concerned, by all means, get the second opinion, but don't be so committed to what you think you want that you don't seriously consider your surgeon's advice. They will advise you on the safest and most effective procedure for your particular situation.

I love people who say they are getting the lapband or sleeve because it's less invasive.GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I was one of those people back in 2004 when I got the lapband...it was my choice. Etween lapband and bypass..."I chose to go with "the less invasive""""please vomiting ,sliming,slipping,eroding...damage to my esophagus plus I am back fat as all get out"!!!Having long needles injected through a port...I have developed all kinds of issues....damage to my stomach,pouch and esophagus....The "sleeve "is now the new flavor of the moment procedure....Cuuting out 85% of your stomach is very invasive if you ask me.

I see more sleeve to bypass revisions....nnever bypass to sleeve....

I love people who say they are getting the lapband or sleeve because it's less invasive.GIVE ME A BREAK!!! I was one of those people back in 2004 when I got the lapband...it was my choice. Etween lapband and bypass..."I chose to go with "the less invasive""""please vomiting ,sliming,slipping,eroding...damage to my esophagus plus I am back fat as all get out"!!!Having long needles injected through a port...I have developed all kinds of issues....damage to my stomach,pouch and esophagus....The "sleeve "is now the new flavor of the moment procedure....Cuuting out 85% of your stomach is very invasive if you ask me.

I had the sleeve because I liked not having the malabsorption and liked having the fundus gone (the stretchy part that produces a lot of the hunger hormone ghrelin). Never thought it was any less invasive--I agree it's totally invasive and non reversible!

However I think it has a long enough history to not be the "flavor of the month" either. It has its own pros and cons.

I see more sleeve to bypass revisions....nnever bypass to sleeve....

Member @bellablooom is a bypass to sleeve revision and talks about it freely. Check out her posts.

Ill tell you right now, if your diabetic, get the DS. I too was diabetic, before I left the hospital after my DS surgery my diabetes was cured.

In Europe, the DS is performed on healthy wieght type 2 diabetics soley to treat this disease.

The DS is more invasive, my surgery hurt like hell. But im 7 month, and 135LB lighter. Im a new man, husband, and father.

Any surgery will require you to take supplements afterwards, i just take 1 extra, its not that hard.

The hardest part for me is not eating sugars (gas), or fatty foods (oil slicks).

Like the sleeve, the ghrelin producong portion of your stomach is removed so that benefit is added.

Of all the surgeries, sleeve, bypass, band.... Only the DS cures diabetes. Something like 98.4% cure rate.

Im healthier and happier than I have been in 15 years. Do yourself a favor. Listen to your doctor.

I am a man so it might be a bit different. I just had DS on 12/7/15. I feel great. I am already on the weight machines lifting using arms legs and chests (no core or abs yet). Recovery was/is a breeze. I can drink a ton of Water. I went to Rex Bariatric in Raleigh where they have 3 or 4 surgeons and do all of the WLS types. I think that helps avoid the situation where "if you only have a hammer in your tool belt, everything looks like a nail." In other words, they are not pushing you to fit into one procedure because of a lack of skill in others. A group that does it all is skilled at picking the right surgery and competent at whichever one suits you the best. I had two other friends who got different WLS from my same surgeon - with great results. He recommended a different one for me. So, if you go to a place that can do it all, listen to them. They want success stories and no revisions. Don't let fear get in the way of the recommended option. They have to scare the crud out of everyone. Disclaimers and stuff. Also, us folks needing WLS probably haven't followed our doctors advice very well in the past -- and look where it got us. :). For me, I decided to concede that my brilliant opinions and decisions about my health were demonstrably proven to suck. So, I decided it was time to listen and obey the doctor, and I'm glad I did.

I'm going to Rex Bariatric in Raleigh also!!!! I finished all my pre-opscreening Dec. 28th and am now waiting for insurance approval & a surgery date. Right now, it feels unreal. Maybe when i get the approval & date, it'll become real for me. In the meantime, I'm watching what I eat, drinking my required Water, I've started exercising, too. I'm enjoying the journey because I know I'm gonna see some major changes in my life.

Ill tell you right now, if your diabetic, get the DS. I too was diabetic, before I left the hospital after my DS surgery my diabetes was cured.

In Europe, the DS is performed on healthy wieght type 2 diabetics soley to treat this disease.

The DS is more invasive, my surgery hurt like hell. But im 7 month, and 135LB lighter. Im a new man, husband, and father.

Any surgery will require you to take supplements afterwards, i just take 1 extra, its not that hard.

The hardest part for me is not eating sugars (gas), or fatty foods (oil slicks).

Like the sleeve, the ghrelin producong portion of your stomach is removed so that benefit is added.

Of all the surgeries, sleeve, bypass, band.... Only the DS cures diabetes. Something like 98.4% cure rate.

Im healthier and happier than I have been in 15 years. Do yourself a favor. Listen to your doctor.

Thank you so much, Link209. I will be getting the DS. I have researched and prayed about it, and I have peace about the decision. I'm glad that you are doing well and are "healthier and happier than you've been in 15 yrs."

I certainly look forward to that! God bless you and continue to stay healthy and happy! ;-)

pre op diet started 11/30/15 (369 lbs). Had my surgery on 12/7/15. As of 12/21/15 I weigh 336. That's a 33 lbs in 22 days. At this rate I will weigh 0 lbs in 8 months.

Update: I'm down to 321. So, that's a loss of 48 lbs in 46 days- more than 1lb a day. Blood sugar is typically 89- without any meds since surgery!

And I'm loving it. No issues!!

I am pretty sure my doc knew what he was doing in recommending DS for me. It is showing!

Love to know how your experience goes!!