Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery

Not much to update. I'm now nearly two months into a nice long stall. I hit 247 back in early August, bounced up to 260 inexplicably, and I've been hanging around 249-253 since then. It's incredibly frustrating especially since I still have quite a bit of fat around my stomach that I really, really just want to go away. And it's just not going anywhere right now.

Tomorrow, 10/4, I'm going into get my wisdom teeth removed...something I was told needed to happen 21 years ago. With the weight loss, I've also committed myself to getting other things fixed including my teeth. I don't have any pain, but I had gone to see a dentist a few weeks ago for the first time in...well 21 years. He gave me a list of several things that needed to happen to get me back to truly healthy teeth. One of those required that I get at least the bottom left wisdom tooth removed. So I'm getting all of them removed. It seems the post-op diet is pretty easy; cold, liquidy foods, then smooth foods, then eventually working myself up to normal foods. I'm nervous but feel good about doing this.

It'll be interesting to see if I do end up losing a little weight after my appointment tomorrow, at least for the next week or so as I recover.

I discovered a new diet! It's called The Wisdom Tooth Extraction Diet!! I've had amazing results in just one week post-extraction. I've lost 6 WHOLE POUNDS in 8 days!

Ugh...all joking aside, the weight loss I've experienced after my wisdom teeth were removed last week has me wondering if I was really in a stall or maybe just eating too much, if that's such a consideration as gastric bypass patient. After the removal, the first day I was told to just eat cold, liquidy foods. I mainly ate yogurt and Protein smoothies mixed with blended frozen fruit. I was told I could switch to smooth foods on the second day, but I was really in too much pain. I also didn't really have much of an appetite. Even now, 8 days later, I really don't want to eat. I have to force myself to eat.

I still feel some discomfort chewing as well especially on the lower right side of my teeth; not really painful, just annoying. I had a couple days where I guess I bit my inner cheek which became swollen and made the whole ordeal even worse. As a result of that chewing discomfort I would end up swallowing my food without chewing it well. This resulted in my feeling fuller way faster than I normally would. Thus I would eat less.

So why question the stall? Well, eating much less with no appetite these last few days did result in a 6 pound weight loss. I had been stuck pretty much in the same weight range for two months before the teeth removal. Would I still have lost 6 pounds had I not had the oral surgery? I doubt it. As I do get my appetite back, and ability to chew without discomfort, I'll see if I end up gaining that six pounds back. In the meantime, I'm left to re-evaluate if even the little food I had been eating during my stall was really too much still.

Edited by DangerMouse007

Oh, yeah.

Next week is my regular six month endo appointment. I already did my blood work last week (after the oral surgery because I totally forgot it needed to be done). I received the results Monday morning online (thank you, Labcorp for setting that up and for doing it so quickly since it normally takes more than a week!). My A1C was 7.0 which is the lowest it's ever been since I was first officially diagnosed with Diabetes 10 years ago (and probably my lowest A1C since at least 2002/2003). Obviously it's still not ideal...not by a long shot since it highlights that I'm still rather dependent on insulin medication. Everything else on the lab report was normal although it mentioned that I might be a little dehydrated. I'm not sure how it's measured, but I did the blood work two days after my oral surgery, and I can tell you I was in no mood to drink much of anything after my wisdom teeth were removed.

I imagine everybody goes through them in one form or another. I believe it's the body's way of adjusting...scientifically speaking. I think there's some kind of post or article detailing the reasons...scientifically.

I know somebody where I work that lost 310 pounds with the gastric sleeve in 2 years. He told me he refused to deal with stalls so he did whatever he could to break out of them as quickly as possible whether that was increasing physical activity or changing the way he ate, etc. If it works, great, but I'm not too sure about that. Stalls really do suck and are very discouraging...until all of a sudden the weight melts away again...

Just realized I started this thread just a little over a year ago. Nice!

Unfortunately I haven't had much to add. I gained a little bit of the weight I lost from the wisdom tooth extraction nearly 2 months ago, but nothing major. My weight seems to be fluctuating between 249 and 253. I've noticed that when it does get up to 253, then I'll go a few hours of urinating like crazy and end up around 249 or 250. As mentioned before, I'm a little disappointed that this seems to be my "equilibrium" weight for now. I've been around this weight for nearly 4 months now so I imagine now it's a matter of more exercise and maybe stricter control of my diet (which I've said before). While I am happy to be down to a size 44 waist (down from size 64 two years ago), I still have a lot of belly fat. A lot! It would be nice to get rid of as much as possible.

Anyway, Happy Holidays all!