Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slipped gastric band

I had a gastric band fitted approx. 8 years ago, I lost 12 stone so was very happy. But in the last six months I have gained 3 stone, I have had two in fills in the last three months that didn't work and have just had a barium x ray that showed the band had completely slipped off. The operation was done in Belgium by Dr Mignon at Elyzea, However I have been told that he no longer works there. I am now at a loss to my next step??? any help would be appreciated

What about the bariatric practice where you've been having follow-up care?

Have you asked your general practitioner for a local referral?

Do you know other banders in your area?

If you'd prefer Dr. Mignon, have you searched his name? Contacted the manufacturer of your band for a clue as to his whereabouts? Hounded Elyzea for info on his current whereabouts?

Because the surgery was done in Belgium privately my own doctor and hospital are not interested in helping even though this is causing health problems. The x ray showed the port hole is somehow sticking into my ribs and actually leaves black/yellow bruising at times on the outside of my rib cage. It is very tender to touch. I suffer bad reflux etc I have contacted Elyzea who say they have no contact or whereabouts for Dr Mignon. Even the lady that used to do the in fills seems to have gone under ground. So I am in limbo at the minute and welcome any help

I would contact any digestive surgery practice. Of course a bariatric practice is best, but many digestive surgeons can remove a gastric band, if that is what is necessary. Are you open to going outside the NHS? I would think you would have more options if you did that.

If you want a referral in Paris, I can send you the names of several surgeons who, while they no longer place bands, can do followup and removal if necessary. If you are in London, Paris is only 2.5 hours away.

I had the Lap Band surgery in April 2009 and the first year I was successful and lost 67 pounds of the 90 pounds I needed to loose. After the first year I started having problems with the fill, either too much or too little. In 2011 all the Fluid was removed because I could not even drink Water. I have since gained all but 20 pounds back and have a problem with the empty band. It has prolapsed and will be removed on Monday, December 7, 2015. I too was not told this was a temporary fix and would never recommend this surgery to anyone. I have a friend who constantly has to get changes to her fills and has not been able to maintain her initial weight loss.

I am having surgery to remove the band on Monday December 7, 2015 and will be contemplating the sleeve. I am 66 years old and would like to know if anyone on this forum has had the sleeve surgery with few complications?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches