Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 20, 4 days post-op and very concerned.

I made one of the hugest decisions of my life 4 days ago to have the VSG (which I'm sure many of you did ????) and I'm honestly at a crossroads here. I'm deciding if I regret getting the sleeve or if it's the best thing I've done.

I'm sitting here thinking to myself "what the hell have I done to my body?". My stomach is bruised and sore, I'm nauseated and I feel completely out of control of myself and out of the loop. Im emotionally vulnerable and feel very sensitive at times. I'm craving weird things. I'm afraid that I did let food once control my lifestyle because the past few days... Food has been the main thing I think about. I barely can drink anything. The sight of ANYTHING involving Protein makes me sooo queasy! I'm having a very difficult time reaching my Fluid and protein intake.

On the other hand, I know that this will be a POSITIVE life changing experience! I try to stay optimistic in regards of the matter but sometimes you have to face the truth. I miss eating food. I didn't realize how much food consumed me but I do miss it. I'm slowly getting over the notion of eating how I use to but it's just hard. It's one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life but nevertheless, I will patiently wait to see that rainbow.

I have to say that this site with everyones inquiries has been my lifeline since 3 months before the surgery to 4 days post OP. This site is amazing. The people are uplifting and inspiring. I guess I had to write down everything to truly understand how I am feeling. I know that this will be a tough journey but I am ready for it. Whoever read this, thanks for your attention and good luck on your journey as well. ????

Well, it sounds like you've been reading the site for a while, so you should know that regret is VERY normal early out.

Believe me, your regret will soon be replaced with nothing but happiness as you heal and things start becoming more routine and you're losing weight. Just work your program, move a little more, and you won't regret it ever again!

I understand completely what you are feeling. It is very common to feel vulnerable and confused. You just had major surgery, your known world has been turned upside down, and you probably still have pain meds and anesthesia in your system.

The good news is that you will feel much better soon.

I hate to break it to you, but even if you regret the surgery, it's over and you can't turn back the clock. If at all possible, make up your mind to go with the POSITIVE side of the equation. It will help your recovery.

Also, I know it's hard, but please do everything you can to get in all of your Protein and Fluid. Doing so will be the best thing you can do to assure that you will be feeling much better sooner.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.

I was in your shoes. I felt the same way you did. I regretted my decision and cried and cried for about a week straight. I was one of the ones that didn't get enough liquid in and was readmitted for dehydration. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU!! It was a horrible feeling.

I just posted this but will say it again. I don't think a lot of us are prepared for the mental side of surgery. They gave me a little advice about it but I was a complete wreck. Up and down and honestly hating myself for what I did to my body.

Now here is the upside. I am about 3 months out and couldn't be happier. At about 9 days is when things change. Things started to get better, I could drink easier, the soreness was gone and I was able to get out of the house and move around. Today I love life. Granted I a only 3 months out but I am in a size 12 pants, I bought a medium shirt the other day and everyone tells me how awesome I look. That doesn't compare to how good I feel. Not only healthier but about myself. I look in the mirror and see someone new and someone happy. It's a great feeling. I'm not going to lie and say it's not work. Sometimes I will take a bite of food that is too big and regret it for about 30 minutes because of the uncomfortable feeling, I have over eaten where I had to throw up and sometime the Constipation sucks. But honestly I am 100% happy and do not regret a think anymore. It's the best 18k I ever spent and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Just be patient with yourself. Sip as much as you can, walk as much as you can and the next thing you know it will be like a bad dream.

I had my post surgery what the hell have I done to myself this is stupid moment as well, which I'm pretty sure happens to almost everyone. One year later, any negative thoughts about this whole process are distant memories. My only regret is not doing it sooner. The pain will go away. You will learn to control food, instead of letting it control you. You will look back at this in a year and wonder how you ever doubted. It will happen. You have got this!

I had the Sleeve 3 days ago. And I feel sored, bruised, with a lot of gas, not being able to consume all the fluids needed and a terrible Migraine. However I can not wait to see the results. Hang in there

Thanks so much for this moral support! I'm acting like a huge baby when it comes to this lol but I'm aware of the amazing benefits behind it all. I really appreciate the feedback.

I had the Sleeve 3 days ago. And I feel sored, bruised, with a lot of gas, not being able to consume all the fluids needed and a terrible Migraine. However I can not wait to see the results. Hang in there

I totally feel your pain. However, I've noticed that when I do feel gas I simply get up and walk for about 5-10 minutes, breathe deeply In and out, and that helps so much. I can't wait to see the results as well. It's definitely a waiting game. I wish you the best on this journey though! You hang in there too.

So glad to read your story. It's coming in very handy. I get sleeved on the 21st December. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totally glad I could help. Wish you well on your journey!

I don't think there's anyone here who hasn't regretted the operation the first few days or even months, I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it's really difficult at first, however as time progresses and your stomach heals you will be able to be happy again, you'll be able to eat much more whilst your stomach restricts the intake, just hang in there, it's never easy for us fatties to suddenly start eating tiny portions from one day to the next.

I'm 8 months out and happy, I can eat "normally" with friends, my food intake is much larger now that my stomach has healed and slightly expanded (probably around 5-6Oz of food depending on density) and nothing hurts.

Be patient, I know it's hell but don't succumb to your fear, embrace it and surround yourself with demons in this hell! Wait, no, ignore the last part, but just basically go with the flow and progress slowly, you'll be fine in a couple of months.

So glad you posted this because I've been mentally preparing myself for the worst! I've started cutting foods out to hopefully make it easier but I know it's going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Thanks for sharing your experience it helps the rest of mentally prepare for this huge life changing experience.

Hang in there in the end it will all be worth it :)

I was sleeved on Veterans day. It got bad for me the first day home. I called my surgeon and got on a different nausea medicine, suppositories (I know..eww..lol). I stayed on them 2 days and was able to meet my liquid and protien needs ever since. I know from experience that once I get in a cycle of dehydration its tough getting going again. I also had a hiatal hernia fixed. Anyways do all you can to hydrate and keep reaching out..I have a buddy I found on you tube who had the surgery 2 days before me and its been wonderful geting and receiving support.I am new here and I can tell there are wonderful people on here:)

It might feel like a bumpy ride at times, especially at the beginning, but there's some pretty gnarly gold waiting at the end of that rainbow.

Keep your eye on the prize! ????

I am going to have surgery Nov 23rd. I have had friends who have said, "what have I done to myself" after their sleeve, but all have said that it gets better. So I'm going in with my eyes open and taking it one day at a time! Say a prayer for me next Monday around 9:30am!