Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months after surgery

Hi guys. U are all my only hope now. I had my surgery August 1st 2015. It was all well until I started getting very ill around 4 weeks after the surgery. I felt terrible and docs thought I had gall bladder problems as it had mud in it. During this time I stopped eating all together and slept all the time and vomited over and over. Anyhow. By October 15th I got better and all better since. Yet. Once I got better I started eating lots of cold cuts and cheese and all wrong good. I stopped loosing weight for around 4 weeks now. I do try to maintain 1200 calories a day. But I know I am high on fat and in some occasions sweets. I think I am in some rebound from being so sick. I don't know what to do. I am trying to control it now but I feel sometimes that I can't. Anyone had this before?

Have you spoken with your nutritionist? While lean turkey meat and low fat cheese isn't so bad, 1200 calories seems a little high for 3 months out. Are you getting in your Protein, Vitamins and Fluid? You need to get your food logs to your NUT and get their feedback

Thank for your response Daisee. I live in Egypt. We don't really use nutritionists. There are diet doctors but I did not see one. I was never asked to.

post-68955-144743850433_thumb.jpg

I came up with this diet that sums to about 900 calories. Can u guys advise if this seems ok

I'm sorry you aren't able to see a nutritionist. I can't imagine that not being a part of the program. So with my limited knowledge, your menu doesn't sound too bad except you really need to be counting your Protein grams and make sure you are getting a minimum of 60g (and often more depending on a number of factors). Also , that's quite a few meal times. You might consider cutting out one of the snack times and make sure you are getting some protein with each snack. The rule should be protein first then veggies then carbs if you still have room. @@Djmohr has said she was told 2 bites of protein then 1 bite if veggie. That seems like a good idea to me and what I am trying now. Hopefully other longer term veterans will weigh in here on suggestions. Good luck! Don't get discouraged. And remember not to drink with your meals. Stop 30 minutes before and wait at least 30 minutes after.

Thank you very much my dear. I will do as u said. Will update u b

I am not familiar enough with the correct diet one should follow with the lapband. I am pretty sure it should be similar to other WLS.

High Protein, low carb, low fat

It sounds like you definitely have a much bigger appetite than you did a month ago. Who do you get your fills from? Can they give you a food plan to follow that fits with your type of surgery?

Might you need a fill currently?

Hi dear. Thanks for your response. However, I had a gastric bypass not a lap band.

Were you given a basic post-op diet plan?

Were you given a Protein target? (Mine is 100 grams.)

Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid a day?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements as directed? Were you given a Vitamin schedule?

With bypass, I understand that there is also a limitation of not eating and drinking at the same time. Folks with bypass can further advise you on that procedure.

I was advised to eat Protein first, and eat non-starchy vegetables, and whole fruits, avoiding starches like Pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. since you had bypass you will need to follow your surgeon's advice related to fruit, sugar, etc.

Are you exercising?

You mentioned not losing weight for a few weeks. That is perfectly natural. None of us lose weight at a constant rate and stalls are a part of the process.

Here is a post I wrote a while back about stalls that you might find helpful.

Best of luck.

Embrace the Stall!

http://BariatricPal.com/index.php?/topic/351046-Embrace-the-Stall

Well no. Our surgeons here they don't give you any plan for what u need to eat. I get all my info from the Internet. I got very very sick and my blood counts were bad so I went to a general doctor and he had me start different Vitamins and B12 shots since I had almost nothing left. And I get my diets from sites like mayo clinic. I lost 27 Kgs in the first 8 weeks the when I got sick I stopped eating and stopped loosing and when I got better I messed up a bit. But i gave up all the wrong food I had in the house and am trying to be on the right track for 2 days. Thanks for your reply. It's good to feel someone is there to support. I live all alone so there is no encouragement at all. But it's cool

I do not know how you are doing this at all without a plan! That is quite scary! I think those of us from the US forget how lucky we actually are in the way of medical care sometimes. Hopefully we can be of help and support here. I would start with logging in all your food on a website that will track your nutrients (Protein, carbs and fat). Lots of people here use one called myfitnesspal.com and I use Livestrong/Myplate.com. There are several others but just be sure it will track your Protein most of all. Start really focusing on protein. I believe the mayo Clinic does have some good info online (I feel like someone else here has posted their instructions). Hopefully you will be able to get enough info from the Mayo website and the BariatricPal website. Keep us updated and we will help as much as we can!

I am so sorry to hear you have so little support. I will help as much as I can, but since I was sleeved I may not have all the info you will need.

For my surgeon, everyone who started with a BMI over 50 and all men, have a Protein goal of 100 grams. I believe everyone else was at 80 grams. It wouldn't hurt to have a target of at least 80 grams unless you started with a higher BMI at which point I would recommend at least 100 grams.

As you found out the hard way, not eating is the worst thing you can do.

Yeah. Medical care here is a bit on the low priority. The follow up isn't that good really. But I am managing. I do use myfitnesspal too. And I upgraded to premium yesterday so I get the totals on fat and carbs and Protein. I am still not high in protein but I am working hard to get there. I really appreciate your support all of you. It's nice to have someone who understands this. I am planning on being in New York and Florida in Jan and feb. I will try to meet a nutritionist to give me some advise for the long run.

Hi dear. Thanks for your response. However, I had a gastric bypass not a lap band.

I don't want to sound abrupt and rude but You need to seriously just stop and go back to the diet from day one. You went as far as to surgically rearrange your digestive tract system to lose weight, so just stop! Start with slow eating, get all your liquids, Vitamins and Protein in and you need to slow down and stop making poor choices. You can eat sugar this soon and not be sick? Even cold cuts make me sick sometimes over 1 year post op.. I would suggest seeing a therapist as well. Start back at the start, hit the reset button and listen to your body! You have a very small stomach, 1/2 cup of good is all we need to fill it with good choices (protein protein protein) good luck and I would seek professional help as opposed to relying on this forum. It would be such a shame to fail after such a serious surgical tool. It is a tool but you have to make the right choices. I wish you an amazing journey and I hope you choose to fight and continue on your weight loss path.