Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went into my appointment this afternoon with my mind made up on the sleeve. After talking with my surgeon, he strongly suggested bypass instead due to PCOS, pre-diabetes, HUGE list of heart attacks/disease in family, etc. I've always viewed the bypass as more invasive and never thought I qualified (denial at its finest) until today. I'm on board, and not anymore nervous than I already was. I guess I just feel a little less prepared...or knowledgeable for the lack of better terms, since my research these past few months has been solely on the sleeve. So, I'm looking for some experiences and advice from anyone who is willing to share! Especially from those who considered both surgeries and chose bypass in the end.

I was offered both options, and I went with bypass from the beginning. My reasons were because I have reflux and nausea on my own (the sleeve can make this worse), and there has been years and years of long term studies done on the bypass, but not the same for sleeve. Years ago, people thought lap band was the way to go, but we're now learning that it doesn't work all that well and there have been many complications, and lot of revisions. I'm not saying that the sleeve will turn out to be the same "fad" surgery, but the research just isn't there for it like the bypass is. Also, there have been studies that show the bypass is actually more effective at long term weight loss than the sleeve. I'm 5'2 230 pounds, so I qualify for both surgeries, but I'm not so big that I need more drastic measures, I just want to have only one surgery, done right the first time. I don't want to be sleeved and then have to do revision surgery later because it's not as effective as bypass. As far as the dumping goes, I actually WANT that as a tool to keep me, and my weight, in check. I feel like my weight is a big enough problem in my life to have surgery for it, so I'm going to go all-in, and get the bypass.

My surgery is scheduled for December 29th. SO excited!!

Edited by cookarue

I was in the exact same boat as you. I completely agree with going with the bypass since it has so much more data behind it. One bonus of the bypass was the endocrine benefits. When is your surgery? Mine is November 30. My weight when I met the surgeon on Oct. 21 I weighed in at 249. As of this week I have weighed in at 235.8. I've done some drastic stuff so when I do the liver shrink diet starting Monday its not as much of a shock.

I went into my appointment this afternoon with my mind made up on the sleeve. After talking with my surgeon, he strongly suggested bypass instead due to PCOS, pre-diabetes, HUGE list of heart attacks/disease in family, etc. I've always viewed the bypass as more invasive and never thought I qualified (denial at its finest) until today. I'm on board, and not anymore nervous than I already was. I guess I just feel a little less prepared...or knowledgeable for the lack of better terms, since my research these past few months has been solely on the sleeve. So, I'm looking for some experiences and advice from anyone who is willing to share! Especially from those who considered both surgeries and chose bypass in the end.

I should have also mentioned I have PCOS as well.

Congratulations on your surgery dates! Please keep me posted with your progress and how you are doing after surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as your dates approach! :)

And I cookarue- I am with you on the data. As pleasant as the sleeve sounds/sounded, a part of me feared what it would look like in 20 years. I never could find any success stories, or stories in general after 3 or 4 years post op. I know that weight regain is possible with any WLS, it my surgeon is very confident in the bypass and what it can offer me over the other surgeries. So I am very excited about that. And like you- I want a one-time deal. The thought of having one surgery, it not be a success and causing me to have a revision to the bypass is too much. My dear friend who had the sleeve earlier this year is mostly satisfied with it, but she wishes she would have just gone with the bypass. I don't want to have that regret.

RC- I currently do not have a surgery date. I meet my surgeon again in December, which is when I'll have a better idea of when they will be submitting paperwork to UHC. Monday is my final weigh in for the 6 month supervised weight loss and after that I have to complete the second portion to my psych eval- so I shouldn't be far. Did your surgeon say anything about what they expect life to look like after surgery with your PCOS? I am so badly praying that I will see an improvement with some of my side effects from PCOS. It has gotten so far out of control that I can barely tolerate it anymore. ????

Sounds like we'll be bypass babes soon! Congratulations on finishing your 6 month follow up with the surgeon. That's the tough part. It should go quickly for you from now on. I have a friend who was going to get sleeved on the same day as my bypass, with the same doctor, but after her egd they recommended bypass to her also. She decided yesterday to get the bypass instead. I think yours is a common dilemma, but not an easy one. I think, in the end, bypass or sleeve - we're all just making decisions to better our health and our future. That's just SO exciting in itself. Way to go US! Keep us posted on your surgeries, can't wait to see/hear all your future success.

I knew from step one I was going to do the full by pass for the long term benefits, my close friend wanted to do the sleeve... but she has PCOS. I had done a great deal of research and been to a few classes/talked to some surgeons... but I went with her to a WLS program's open seminar and another woman in the audience actually asked about having PCOS and the surgeon's opinions of the sleeve.... needless to say, my friend changed to her mind and decided that the bypass was the better option. Hopefully she'll feel better after. Always hoping for the best. I hope you feel better too and I'm rooting for ya! :)

@@cookarue how long did your process take total? Did you have the 6 months of supervised weight loss? I keep having to remind myself to calm down and not get too far ahead of myself. In the end- I know that I can follow all the rules and submit everything they require and still be denied. That's probably my biggest fear at this point. I try to stick with the positive thoughts = positive outcome mindset. But I am absolutely terrified that insurance will not give me the ok for this, leaving me completely devastated. I can't even bare the thought..

Sounds like we'll be bypass babes soon! Congratulations on finishing your 6 month follow up with the surgeon. That's the tough part. It should go quickly for you from now on. I have a friend who was going to get sleeved on the same day as my bypass, with the same doctor, but after her egd they recommended bypass to her also. She decided yesterday to get the bypass instead. I think yours is a common dilemma, but not an easy one. I think, in the end, bypass or sleeve - we're all just making decisions to better our health and our future. That's just SO exciting in itself. Way to go US! Keep us posted on your surgeries, can't wait to see/hear all your future success.

@@BlueBongo thank you! That post just gave me even more reassurance! Have you had your surgery yet? I appreciate the encouragement! And am so grateful to have encountered all of the encouraging and supportive folks on this thread! You have all assisted in making this process/decision easier.

I knew from step one I was going to do the full by pass for the long term benefits, my close friend wanted to do the sleeve... but she has PCOS. I had done a great deal of research and been to a few classes/talked to some surgeons... but I went with her to a WLS program's open seminar and another woman in the audience actually asked about having PCOS and the surgeon's opinions of the sleeve.... needless to say, my friend changed to her mind and decided that the bypass was the better option. Hopefully she'll feel better after. Always hoping for the best. I hope you feel better too and I'm rooting for ya! :)

I have not yet, hoping to get it scheduled soon... but I don't have a lot of faith in my bariatrician, she doesn't fill me in on things nor answer my questions and I'm almost 3.5 months in to the 6 months my insurance requires. I'm a little disappointed, but hoping to get some sort of answers from her or I will change things up completely this week... I've come too far to let things go now. :) Definitely stay positive!

@@cookarue how long did your process take total? Did you have the 6 months of supervised weight loss? I keep having to remind myself to calm down and not get too far ahead of myself. In the end- I know that I can follow all the rules and submit everything they require and still be denied. That's probably my biggest fear at this point. I try to stick with the positive thoughts = positive outcome mindset. But I am absolutely terrified that insurance will not give me the ok for this, leaving me completely devastated. I can't even bare the thought..

I didn't have to do 6 months of the supervised weight loss. I had to do like 2 months, and I had to give them a history of my dieting and exercise for as far back as I could remember. I am on a military base though, so it's different then normal insurance. But since I've met with the surgeon (also on base), I've had to do egd, nutrition classes, psych evaluation, and then finally I'll get surgery. I've been in the process since June. Just know that your insurance covers this so they don't have to cover future problems. If they say this is covered, you're a good candidate for it, you do everything they require, then you're going to be approved. Trust the process. If you're determined, it'll come. It's going to happen.

Hi. I too was all geared up for the sleeve. I made an offhand comment to the nurse practitioner that I was suffering from reflux for a couple of days and she insisted I have a ph manometry test (dreadful!) to check my stomach acid. Well, apparently it was WAY off the charts and that nixed the sleeve option. It took me a while (and quite a few tears) to get used to the idea of gastric bypass, which I also felt was more invasive. I have some reservations still - I'm not sure about how certain medications will work with the bypass - but I'm moving forward and will be having my surgery on November 30 with you @@RCesarski!

The only thing I cannot take because of my bypass is my naproxen .Anything with antinflammitory like ibuprofen etc ..