Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking....need advice please!

So today I met the dietician for my preoperative diet. And then I seen my nurse. I was originally supposed to have the bypass and needed to quit smoking but I found out that the doctor submitted for sleeve. I am fine with that but I asked the dudnt nurse did that still mean I needed to have no nicotine in my system before surgery and she said no but I would heal better. I am sill cutting back was just was anyone who was it is a smoker told that they didn't have to quit for surgery, or couldn't use any nicotine substitutions. I just don't want to get on surgery day and be turned around cause I used Patches or gum....please help

I'm not sure I understand your question!

I had the sleeve and was told you could no smoke and that surgery would be cancelled if you told them you smoked. There's no further testing that would reveal if you have actually smoked or used a substitute, but if you lie and have complications down the line, you would be responsible and not the doc if you went against their recommendations. As someone who has pushed limits, I realize that a lot of what they tell you is 50% safety, but also 50% for lifestyle change. For example, the gripe about smoking seemed to be geared toward cigarettes but I smoked marijuana pre-op. When I told them I could substitute that with edibles, the finally admitted that it was more about the lifestyle change then a health issue. They believe weed could make a person want to eat more, thus they discourage it. I quit anyhow, but I do agree that sometimes you want to know why you are being asked to give up so much. I've dabbled with a couple things that are on the "do not" list, and I'm ok. Granted, if I did this regularly I'm sure my weight loss would stall, so I'm sure they discourage these things knowing that some people struggle with willpower so it's better to just scare them into not doing things if they believe it could be a health risk. With the smoking, my doc said coughing could cause your staple line to rip, or the toxins in cigarettes could cause infection or slow healing.

Just quit - you're having this surgery to save your life - to at least be healthier, right? Why would you continue to kill yourself by smoking? Might as well not have surgery if you're going to continue...

This is the end of 2015. E-cigarettes have been out since 2007. There is no excuse for you or anyone else to continue to smoke cigarettes. You are addicted to nicotine and not cancer causing tar.

I smoked a pack and a half a day for 20 years. Often when I went out or if I was stressed I would smoke 2-3 packs a day. I quit smoking 2 years ago and transitioned to e-cigs. When I had my gastric sleeve surgery they did x-rays of my lungs. I assumed everything would be fine as I felt fine and it had been 2 years since I last smoked a cigarette. Instead, the doctors took me aside and explained that all of the white, whispy stuff in my lungs was damage from smoking. I was shocked by how much damage there was was as I felt fine. But that's the nature of smoking. You will feel absolutely fine literally up until the very day that health problems develop. Unfortunately, many people who wait until health problems develop in order to quit do not get a second chance at life.

With e-cigs you get the same feeling and routine of smoking, the same inhaling of a something that looks like smoke, and the same nicotine. You stop having the "smoker's cough". You no longer have to clear your throat 50 million times a day. You don't stink like an ashtray. Your fingers and teeth don't get stained. You don't have to go outside during the freezing cold, blazing heat our pouring rain. So unless you absolutely just love the taste of cancer causing tar, by all means continue to smoke. If not, then look into transitioning to e-cigs.

Rant over.

Every doc is different, it seems. My doc wouldn't allow E-Cigs, Nicotine Gum or the patch, as she said nicotine alone would affect post-operative healing and would cause ulcers as time went on. I had to quit cold turkey. It sucked and it was hard, but I did it. You can do it too, if that's the route you wish to take. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!!!! Going to just go cold turkey!!!!

I quit cold turkey. My doc requires 3 months of no smoking. I was mad at myself for smoking as I could have had my procedure in August if I didn't have my lips on that stick! You can do it!!!!

I am also needing to quit smoking ...I find this the hardest part of this journey .....has anyone had surgery and not totally quit ....please help

I'm still in the pre-op phase and, like you, the change I feared the most was quitting smoking. I smoked at least a pack a day for over 20 years. What I suggest is find a really good vape store. The best ones don't sell cigarettes or any smoke accessories and the carry their own e-juices. Buy a box mod set and find a juice that tastes like cigs in the highest nicotine levels. But a small-ish bottle at first and just vape like crazy. Pro tip, buy extra coils, you'll burn through them like crazy. After a week of no cigs, reduce your nicotine levels and work your way toward non-tobacco flavored.

I started at 24ml nicotine and now (3 months later) I'm at 3mg nicotine, vaping a candy flavor and tobacco free for 3 months.

I wasted money buying cheap vape pens and e-cigs in the beginning. I lacked the faith in myself to really invest in a good set up.

You can do this!!! With vape, it really is easy to kick the habit by breaking it in stages. I have no willpower and give up pretty easily. If I can do it, anyone can!

I just reminded myself that there is no point to having surgery to be healthy while slowly killing myself with tobacco.