Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anybody get surgery only letting minimal people know?

(I am pre surgery) so far my husband, one co worker, my mother in law (kinda knows) my parents, and 2 friends know. My boys are only 8&5 we will tell them after we have a date.

My one coworker knows because she is the one that actually pushed me off the fence about it and has been a HUGE support and a fountain of knowledge of how to work with the insurance company ( she is 8 weeks post)

I REALLY hesitated telling my parents because my mother had a failed lapband and is somewhat emotionally unstable but I need there help to watch my kids occasionally for appointments and during surgery. My dad has been extremely supportive my mom not so much but not against it ether. It's all really confusing with them.

My mother in law knows because she lives with us and she asks too many questions so it was just easier to tell her than lie.

And then I told one friend because she is a nutritionist and had worked on a program with her for 6 months and thought I would use her records. THAT WAS A HUGE mistake. She went off the handle. Chewed me out for an hour. I left that conversation in tears and was ready to just back out and be fat forever. Because she flat out told me that I would fail because I failed at her super strict plan. As I was leaving another friend called me I answers bawling and just spilled my guts to her and she was and is sooooo supportive.

At this point I have no plans to tell anyone else.

I had surgery with out telling my coworkers or friends that was March 2013. I still have not told them my family know but they try to understand but is hard for them. If you don't want the judgement from others I say only tell who you want. It is your decision & journey and I would be happy to mentor you if you need a friend. Good Luck on your journey

I made what I now consider to be a HUGE mistake. When I initially made the decision to do this (paying my own way), I posted it on Facebook. I was proud of taking control of something that had plagued me for a long time. My yoyo cycling is evident over my many years. Once it went of face book, I received hundreds of messages about scores of multi level marketing "cures", and from friends saying "just change your eating habits". We all know if these methods had worked for us, we wouldn't be taking this BIG step. So, I deleted the message off of my timeline, but it was too late. That was about a month ago and I haven't mentioned it since. I wish I had a do-over on that one.

I've told my hubby and his entire family and they frankly just rock they are all in the medical field and know how much I need to do something about this weight so they are all on board and I told my one best friend she's supportive my gaming group because their our closest friends and would know somethings up with my eating and I told my dad. He had no reaction other than oh well don't die please

I've had surgery in the past and never told a soul but my husband. Everyone still thinks my tubal reversal baby is a miracle baby...and she is!!

I don't plan on telling anyone this time around either. If they ask I'll say I was bitten by a vampire, and if they persist I'll tell them I have a new pet tapeworm and walk away. This is my private business. No explanations needed or given.

I made the decision not to tell anyone , Only My wife and children know besides My health care providers . It is a double edge sword cause on one hand I dont have to deal with everyones needless opinions . The other hand I have minimal people to share my experiences with. I will tell more people when I feel ready but for now I don't regret my decision.

Everyone is different, so there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way. I've been open about it and so far I'd say people are overwhelmingly supportive. Sleeve surgery is increasingly common...as is obesity! It takes courage to take the surgical step and most people get that. FYI, I am 62 years old, one week post-op. Over the past 3 weeks (2 week pre-op diet and 1 week post-op) I've already lost 25 lbs!

My family know, and some of my co-workers at work. I initially only wanted a select few to know, but now about 6-7 people know at work, but I'm fine with that. Upper management have no idea, and I plan to keep it that way.

They have all been unbelievably supportive. The last week after my surgery I have had an influx of texts, Facebook messages and calls from them all supporting me, which made the week so much easier for me. :)

I've done my best to only let the people closest to me know like my mother,ex partner, and sister, but my mother has been very loose lipped and has let some of my family know, which I absolutely hate. I have been off of work for a month so I am sure when I return and look to have lost several pounds, some of them may know what's up. I am a really private person so I hope to keep this one under wraps.

As I weighed in near the beginning of this thread, I have only told a few close family members, but my 92 year old mother has been telling others. When she mentions someone else she's told, my wife calls them and asks them to keep it private.

My sense is that it's out or will be soon, so I've moved to Plan B!

Now, I tell people that I entered a very strict medical weight loss program run by a hospital (all true). Then I leave out the details.

I'm at peace with this!

I had my surgery on November 9th. At first, I wasn't going to tell many people, other than family. I told my two bosses early on, because of all the time I had to take off for the tests and they were nothing but supportive. Right before the surgery, I told a few of the girls I work with and get along with well and again, they were nothing but supportive. I told some other family afterwards and they're very supportive as well.

Not one of them has said anything negative about it, which is what I was worried about. I do not regret telling them at all. The support is really helpful.

I snuck out of work quietly and am searching for how to tell them, they are both concerned and nosey. I told some people and it was split down the middle of people telling me horror stories, not supportive, etc to totally estatic friends. It is hard. I feel slightly embarrased, I don't like the attention, making the decision was hard enough. Now I have to explain myself to 30 people. I don't know what to do.

@@bethcasey

Ppl will talk regardless to your face or not you don't have to tell em a thing! Let em speculate. This is your journey. Good luck.