Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I have surgery and become a negative person or is it just hormones?

Hi! I'm new here and 7 weeks post op. My husband and close friends are worried about how negative I've become after surgery. I have been miserable after surgery trying to juggle new tummy (had a stricture and had that fixed 2 days ago), new job, hubby's new job, kids, house....been overwhelmed and very emotional.

Are mood swings part of after surgery life? Is wanting to cry a lot? Is this normal? My doctor says it is just my hormones changing and it will get better. Anyone else moody like this and took medication? Or began to see a counselor?

I'm not depressed just very very emotional.

Thanks in advance!

So completely and utterly......

NORMAL!

it'll get better - honest.

Yes, mood swings are very common soon after surgery.

Our bodies have undergone the trauma of surgery and anesthesia.

Our hormones are in flux because of rapid weight loss.

We may be dehydrated.

And,

We no longer have the crutch of using food to stabilize our moods and emotions.

Things will improve.

If you are having a difficult time functioning, it doesn't hurt to talk to a counselor or therapist. Your surgeon, NUT and/or PCP may also be able to help. Don't be afraid to seek help. Especially if you think your moods may lead you to hurt yourself or others.

This is a temporary phase and will pass. Just take care of yourself and follow your plan (get in all of your Protein and Water, and take your supplements as instructed). You will feel much better soon.

Hi! I'm new here and 7 weeks post op. My husband and close friends are worried about how negative I've become after surgery. I have been miserable after surgery trying to juggle new tummy (had a stricture and had that fixed 2 days ago), new job, hubby's new job, kids, house....been overwhelmed and very emotional.

Are mood swings part of after surgery life? Is wanting to cry a lot? Is this normal? My doctor says it is just my hormones changing and it will get better. Anyone else moody like this and took medication? Or began to see a counselor?

I'm not depressed just very very emotional.

Thanks in advance!

Very normal , i vented on this site for weeks, i am also 7 weeks out and no longer could take it..i have a therapist and now taking medication..tried to tough it out but i cant do it alone

So totally normal! It's ok to feel what you are feeling, and look for some healthy outlets to try to manage it. For me, it was long walks - I like to walk off my stress. You got this! It will get better, just be kind to yourself in the meantime.

Most people do react pretty emotionally post-op for several months or longer. And most of us are completely obsessed post-op about all the eating, drinking, exercise and other lifestyle changes that WLS requires of us.

You also have many other stressful situations on your plate at the moment -- work, home, etc. That's a lot, even for someone who didn't have WLS plus a stricture and a second medical procedure to deal with.

This will all settle out. In the meantime, maybe some deep breathing exercises, meditation, light exercise can help you to release some anxieties and frustrations. Walking has been a great boon to me in this regard.

As others have said, all very normal and if you need medical help to get through this then do it! Just wanted to add another voice of support for you.

Thank you for helping me feel normal. I've been driving my poor husband and friends crazy.

Others have pretty much covered It all, but wanted to add another things at play is when you lose fat a lot of estrogen is released because it is stored in fat and that can trigger emotional responses as well.

I suspect that some of us didn't learn good coping skills to deal with life's stressors because we had food and the accompanying fatsuit to soothe, numb and shield us. I suspect what you are going through is TEMPORARY but if it continues to be a problem, there are many who have found great benefit from counseling during the weight loss phase to help them learn relaxation and other coping skills instead of relying on food and the protection of the fatsuit.

I mention this because i did pretty well with the "food deprivation" post surgery, the hormone release etc but my anxiety was triggered when I got close to goal. I recall something similiar happened when I became slim in my 20s, only I had no support and no understanding of the problem so the only solution i had was to regain weight - which I did quite quickly I might add!

One of the key things I have had to learn is to be "okay" with feeling things. I don't tend to spew them at other people, but rather internalize them which is very emotionally uncomfortable. The counselor has been right - the intensity of my emotions were unfamiliar and overwhelming - like a lot of pent up had to be dealt with. Exercise, relaxation and just accepting that sometimes I feel mad/sad/overwhelmed/tired and that food and fat don't really fix, just bury those things.
It's taken awhile, but I am doing pretty good!

I agree, that it's pretty normal. I was recuperating in a 25' RV while my house was being completed. Plus hubby and 23 y/o son do not get along too well...

I agree, normal.. Your hormones are all flustered too, esp when you are in the rapid weight loss timeframe. Exercising hard has helped me a lot.

I'd just like to say - not only have you had surgery which can have a huge effect on your emotions - but it sounds like you've had a lot of other major life changes going on as well! Take it easy, try to relax and have some time for yourself. Any if those things you listed can cause a lot of stress on their own, but particularly after surgery!

Cowgirljane really hits it on the head. When you have this surgery you lose the ability to use food as a coping mechanism and it's difficult to adjust and one must start exploring other behaviors to cope.

There is a shock and a loss that happens. There is the realization life will never be the same. There are so many adjustments to make.

I've also dealt with a stricture and it is ROUGH. it's draining and exhausting.

Give yourself a break, some understanding, and some time. You will adjust and feel better in time.