Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weird directions from my Surgeon

I am almost 2 months post op and down 50 pounds. I don't have a NUT, my surgeon has been giving me all of my instructions. I use my fitness pal and my Fitbit to track everything. But, I was just wondering if anyone else's surgeon is so vague. I have no goals; by that I mean no Protein, no calorie, no carb goals. Also, he never tells me how many ounces I can have of meat. He only shows me a size using his hand.

Currently I can have: eggs, cheese, fish, chicken, turkey, soft veggies, and today he added steak (cooked rare) and salad.< /p>

I am supposed to eat all my protein first and then if I am still hungry I can eat my veggies. But I was just wondering what everyone else was doing. I don't see him again until February so I want to make sure I have a major weight loss by then.

Thanks!

Well, so far as I can tell by your description, everything he's told you so far is right:

His fist is about the size of 3 ounces of meat. That's right.

Eat Protein first. That's right.

After Protein eat some colored, low-carb veggies.

Then, as healing continues and restriction eases slightly, add a fruit (or more veggies).

Much later, as restriction continues to ease, add some whole grains. You won't be able to eat much of this for a long time.

Drink 64 ounces of Water daily.

Take all your meds and prescribed supplements.

While you're losing, don't drink anything that has calories (except skim milk and Protein drinks, if you're using those -- I did; still am even in maintenance).

Eat slower. Chew more.

Don't drink with meals -- stop drinking 15" before and don't drink for 30" after the meal.

Don't graze / nibble. Eat 3 meals and a snack or two if you get hungry.

Move more. Then move more. Don't hurt yourself.

Hang out here -- find out what others are doing. Don't let them make you crazy. Keep it simple.

Don't worry about how fast you're losing. If you do the above, you'll be doing fine.

This next bit isn't a prescription for you, just a report from me: The first 4 months I ate about 800 cals/day. Months 5-6 I ate 1,000 cals/day. Months 7-8 I ate 1200 cals/day. I reached my goal at 8.5 months. Then over the next 6 months slowly lost another 10 pounds while eating 1700 cals/day (my maintenance budget). Everyone's maintenance calorie budget varies, depending on what they eat, how much they exercise, their metabolic rate, age, etc.

Again, keep it simple. Build new habits into a new healthy lifestyle. Don't go back to old habits. Eventually, the new habits (not your sleeve) will be what "saves you" and keeps you healthy the rest of your life.

This is a new chance for a new life. :)

Tell your surgeon that's nice, but you need actual measurements. 2 ounces? 4? Ask him point blank is there a Protein goal you should hit, a calorie goal. In short let him know you find his answers too vague to be helpful. If he is not available by phone or email, then you may want to google bariatric handbooks or manuals and download a PDF file.

This is why I get annoyed with vague doctor's. Everyone has a different program.

Here's what I ate. \

Months 1 -3 I ate 400 - 600 calories

Months 4 - 8 I ate 600 - 800

Since month 9 I have been eating ~ 1,000 calories a day.

I work out 4 - 6 days a week. Most days I do 3 meals and 1 snack

You don't mention your starting weight or height. That plays a part in your nutritional needs as well.

Where are you from? Sounds like my surgeon

My weight when I started my 4 week pre opp diet was 300 pounds and I am 5'2.

I asked him for some goals today, and he told me not to worry. Just to follow the plan. I told him that I take in 400-500 calories a day, and he was happy with that. I have been measuring 2 ounces of meat. If I don't I feel like I'm not getting enough Protein. And I am still doing a Protein shake for Breakfast. (3 meals/no snacks)

I am exercising, I walk an hour or more a day. Also I have added working out with lite weights. To try to avoid a whole lot of sagging.

I don't doubt him, I just need more structure.

I guess I feel like I've messed up b/c I WANT my veggies. I cannot get enough steamed broccoli. I have probably ate more veggies than I should have. By that I mean I've eaten a bite of meat with veggies. I guess I won't put the veggies on my plate anymore.

@@jreneewarnke -- surgeons need to be pinned down. Always ask for minute specifics and ask if a handout version is available. He may also refer patients who ask to a knowledgeable RD.

Here is where I really should have started: Not all practices give identical instructions. @@VSGAnn2014 gave you a good, general rundown . You'd be smart to fax or email it to your doctor for an okay or amendment.

Laurie

Again depends on the doctor. Some say for every 2 bites of Protein, take one of a dark green veg like broccoli. Are you keeping a food log? You may find that using something like MFP you can have a ¼ cup of broccoli with 2 ounces of Protein. if you are craving that broccoli you may want to let that be your snack. One of my favorite Snacks is diced cucumber. It's not going to hurt you and may keep you from getting constipated. I also find that those of us with higher BMI's tend to get more restrictive calorie recommendations.

Again depends on the doctor. Some say for every 2 bites of Protein, take one of a dark green veg like broccoli. Are you keeping a food log? You may find that using something like MFP you can have a ¼ cup of broccoli with 2 ounces of Protein. if you are craving that broccoli you may want to let that be your snack. One of my favorite Snacks is diced cucumber. It's not going to hurt you and may keep you from getting constipated. I also find that those of us with higher BMI's tend to get more restrictive calorie recommendations.

I noticed that I no longer needed to take a stool softener since eating broccoli.

He won't let me snack. I feel like he's trying to break my old grazing habit.

He's happy with my progress but I want to make sure I am doing my best with this opportunity.

Thanks for replying!

Well, so far as I can tell by your description, everything he's told you so far is right:

His fist is about the size of 3 ounces of meat. That's right.

Eat Protein first. That's right.

After Protein eat some colored, low-carb veggies.

Then, as healing continues and restriction eases slightly, add a fruit (or more veggies).

Much later, as restriction continues to ease, add some whole grains. You won't be able to eat much of this for a long time.

Drink 64 ounces of Water daily.

Take all your meds and prescribed supplements.

While you're losing, don't drink anything that has calories (except skim milk and protein drinks, if you're using those -- I did; still am even in maintenance).

Eat slower. Chew more.

Don't drink with meals -- stop drinking 15" before and don't drink for 30" after the meal.

Don't graze / nibble. Eat 3 meals and a snack or two if you get hungry.

Move more. Then move more. Don't hurt yourself.

Hang out here -- find out what others are doing. Don't let them make you crazy. Keep it simple.

Don't worry about how fast you're losing. If you do the above, you'll be doing fine.

This next bit isn't a prescription for you, just a report from me: The first 4 months I ate about 800 cals/day. Months 5-6 I ate 1,000 cals/day. Months 7-8 I ate 1200 cals/day. I reached my goal at 8.5 months. Then over the next 6 months slowly lost another 10 pounds while eating 1700 cals/day (my maintenance budget). Everyone's maintenance calorie budget varies, depending on what they eat, how much they exercise, their metabolic rate, age, etc.

Again, keep it simple. Build new habits into a new healthy lifestyle. Don't go back to old habits. Eventually, the new habits (not your sleeve) will be what "saves you" and keeps you healthy the rest of your life.

This is a new chance for a new life. :)

I want to print this and put it on my fridge! Such a concise way cover it all! Plus, I really want to follow a plan for increasing calories in the same manner that you did so I can get to the end of the losing phase with a functioning metabolism.

Great response Ann!!

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~