Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico. Good. Bad. And ugly?

So I have talked it over with my SO and he is on board with me getting sleeved (*whew*)..... BUT hes digging his heels in about having it done in Mexico. He has no issue if it's done state side, but he's not comfortable with Mexico..... especially a border town. With all the hype about the drug related crime, he's worried I'll leave and never come back....

Any advice? I've tried looking up articles that would show that I'm in no more relative danger than I would be to drive in the harsher parts of my city, but there's just not much out there.

Call someone from BariatricPal. They will skype with you and give you all of the information you need. I went through them and it was only good. They had someone pick me up from the airport and there was someone with me and my husband all of the time. I used Dr Jesus Martin Lopez and he was amazing! I have had no issues at all.

@dr.altamirano you actually are the doctor I've been leaning towards on my surgery! I would love to Skype with you! Would you be willing to do two different sessions?

I've traveled the world. The things we've heard about Tijuana are not true. I just returned and I would walk around most anywhere alone. It is beautiful, clean, with not so clean areas, upscale areas, great restaurants, excellent food stands. There is some trash on sidewalks in some locations, just like your hometowns or big cities. It is a large city and you will be isolated in one very small perfectly safe area.

You are taken care of and will have everything you need. I went alone. My roommate had never traveled before and she managed perfectly well on her own. Doctors can be pompus asses, and friends give you advice on stories heard from their past based on disinformation. "I heard that it is........" without any knowledge or background or personal experience.

I would go again, and recommend you join Dr. Altamirano face book page, and do a skype interview with him.

Because if you go to Mexico, you will get nothing but excellent care from an attentive, physician, care from hospital attendants immediately, clean rooms, expert service. All, English speaking. Bet your doctor cannot speak Spanish.

And to add, after leaving surgery, Ive had no pain meds. Mine was a complicated band to sleeve revision.

Plus, if your doctors agreed, they or their friends would not collect the $14-$20,000 they expect to charge.

Go, its perfectly fine, and you will learn something valuable and gain new experiences like a quiet hospital and no noise from the nurses' station all night.

I've traveled the world. The things we've heard about Tijuana are not true. I just returned and I would walk around most anywhere alone. It is beautiful, clean, with not so clean areas, upscale areas, great restaurants, excellent food stands. There is some trash on sidewalks in some locations, just like your hometowns or big cities. It is a large city and you will be isolated in one very small perfectly safe area.

You are taken care of and will have everything you need. I went alone. My roommate had never traveled before and she managed perfectly well on her own. Doctors can be pompus asses, and friends give you advice on stories heard from their past based on disinformation. "I heard that it is........" without any knowledge or background or personal experience.

I would go again, and recommend you join Dr. Altamirano face book page, and do a skype interview with him.

Because if you go to Mexico, you will get nothing but excellent care from an attentive, physician, care from hospital attendants immediately, clean rooms, expert service. All, English speaking. Bet your doctor cannot speak Spanish.

And to add, after leaving surgery, Ive had no pain meds. Mine was a complicated band to sleeve revision.

Plus, if your doctors agreed, they or their friends would not collect the $14-$20,000 they expect to charge.

Go, its perfectly fine, and you will learn something valuable and gain new experiences like a quiet hospital and no noise from the nurses' station all night.

The problem isn't my friends. The problem is my SO. He is fairly knowledgeable on current events and the recent issues with drug related crimes, especially in border towns worry him. I have two children and he wouldn't know what to do without me. :)

I could actually pay something similar or less to do it here in the states with my insurance, but MX would be less hassle.

I had my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Lopez, my family was worried since i went alone. But the entire BariatricPal team was super awesome and supportive! I highly recommend it. I felt safe the entire time and got to tour the city. It was like a mini vacation.

i have two children as well. You dont have to listen to me, me I thought I should tell you the truth. I've heard all the news as well.

I, too, am knowledgable about the news. I was worried until I did my research and spoke with many who have gone before. Surely, you do not think we would keep flocking to Mexico if half showing up missing

Tijuana is safe. Went there and had my sleeve done in May with dr. verboonen. Great experience. Would do it again in a heart beat. No real pain and no complications. People were nice.

i have two children as well. You dont have to listen to me, me I thought I should tell you the truth. I've heard all the news as well.

I, too, am knowledgable about the news. I was worried until I did my research and spoke with many who have gone before. Surely, you do not think we would keep flocking to Mexico if half showing up missing

I know it's safer than what it appears on the news, it's it always? 98% of our news here in the states sounds like a contest for the best new horror novel. But like someone pointed out before there isn't much on the "good" side being reported.

But he's wierd about me being in situations where there is an inkling that I might get hurt. I'm surprised he's even okay with the surgery in the first place..... You'd have to know him, He's an odd duck. I'm trying to find a way to do it here in the states so that he isn't as worried.