Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kentucky, "who's your Doctor"

I live in the Mt Sherman/Magnolia area. I am going to Dr. Kaza my first appointment is in the 31st. I am so excited, I know this is a long process, but that is well worth it.

Welcome Checkers Mom!!

So glad to hear from a fellow LaRue Co person!! I assume you live in LaRue Co. I know it can be Green. I live in Hodgenville and I too am so excited!!I've been at this process for over a year now. Had some health problems along the way that slowed everything. I've had an appt. with Dr. Kaza and he's very informative .Write down all your questions The bariactric nurse (Aoril) is very helpful also.Hope to hear from you soon

Do you have insurance or Passport? What's your BMI? Mine is 42.

jaunderwood

Ktravel, I am scheduled to see my surgeon on 2/27 hopefully to be scheduled for surgery. I have been approved by Humana (finally) so I am anxious to get this done.

Bandchick, 47 lbs is wonderful and I am anxious to start this process. How long were you off from work and what additional test did you have to have completed other than the sleep study, evaluations, and other test required prior to submitting the request to the insurance? I'm trying to monitor my days off from work to ensure I have time off for surgery and additional doctors visits. Congradulations on the loss.

Hi Busywoman--

I had my surgery on a Tuesday, and went back to work the following Monday. I just took a week of vacation, and I was fine. I started working out that evening also, and although I was really tired, I didn't have any problems. I work at a desk so my job is not physically strenuous. I know everyone is different but as long as you don't do a lot of heavy lifting, I think you will be fine. As far as the testing, my experience might be different since I was a self-pay patient. I didn't have to do a sleep study. My pre-op testing was all done in one day about 10 days before my surgery. They did an EKG, a chest x-ray, blood work, and a barium swallow (which is completely disgusting). That was on a Friday, and I had my follow up appointment with Dr. Lusco on that next Monday, and he already had all of the results. I started my pre-op diet that next day and then surgery was a week later. I hope that helps!! I wish you the best of luck with your surgery!! Take care!!

Hello busy woman, How long did it take Humana to approve your surgery. Mine is to be submitted next week!! Good luck with your surgery and your new journey!!

jaunderwood

Hi Cerrin--

I love Dr. Lusco--he's kind cute too!! I just went for my 2nd adjustment this past Monday, but I've never had an experience with fluoro. I know from reading the message boards that some other surgeons only do the fills using that fluoro, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. From my understanding, I think it's just a way to locate your port a little easier. I think he looks at it on a machine and that you can actually see the Water going down--I've heard that it's pretty cool to see. Good luck and I will probably see you at the next support group meeting!!

I do live in Green Co. and have a Magnolia address. I do alot of work in Larue Co.. So looking forward to my appointment next week. My BMI is 56

Carla

Jaunderwood, it took me a long time to get approved. I think that was mainly because when I started this process there were not reports of how the US was an obese nation and about childhood obesity. It was a year before I saw my first lapband commercial!! Now there are comercials promoting the surgery and medical documentation of how weight loss surgery has helped obese people start to become healthy again. Now, to answer your question, it took me 2 years and I had the aide of an attorney. Not saying this will be the same for you. I am 5' 6, 48 yrs. old and weigh between 248/252. I am on the line of a bmi of 40. Don't give up.

PA

Hi Cerrin--

I love Dr. Lusco--he's kind cute too!! I just went for my 2nd adjustment this past Monday, but I've never had an experience with fluoro. I know from reading the message boards that some other surgeons only do the fills using that fluoro, so I don't think it's anything to worry about. From my understanding, I think it's just a way to locate your port a little easier. I think he looks at it on a machine and that you can actually see the Water going down--I've heard that it's pretty cool to see. Good luck and I will probably see you at the next support group meeting!!

Yes! I will be at the support group meeting.

I have training classes that week and I am going to miss out on a free dinner at one of my favorite resturants. lol the meeting is more important. lol

weird how our priorities change.

I just love LOVE dr Lusco's group. He is so nice and his group is great!

One of the things I would love to do is go out to dinner with some people that have been banded and see how others eat and just talk to others like we do here.

Hello all.:frown:

I still haven't heard anything from my surgeon's office. I talked to my nurse care manager from Humana. She said she would be waiting for my paperwork!! This waiting is awful!! I'm at peace about it though.

Carla-- Do you mind my asking what your job is? I'm a retired public health nurse.

jaunderwood

Well I went for my first appointment. They told me I would have to be on a diet for 3-6 months and to come in a weigh every 2 weeks, but then I talked to my case manger at my insurance company and if I can get her documentation from when I went to ww and curves and a report from the physical therapist (major problems with my rt foot and ankle). Get my psy eval and nutristionist eval. I could possibly be approved before the end of the month. She said after she gets the paper work it only takes about 2 days to be approved. so keep your fingers crossed.

I am a Title Abstractor for real estate. I go to about 10 different counties. I do a lot of driving.

Talked to Surgeon's office today, They are still requiring me to do a for 3 months even though my insurance would probably waive it. So frustrating:angry:. They want to know you are comitted to doing this. I wounldn't be going to all this trouble if I wasnt committed.

I have just made it thru the seminar and am curious as to how long this takes with bcbs fep but I want to know how everyone handled the steps as to what they want from us. I went to the seminar at st mary's also and listened, this is the only hospital that my insurance will pay and I was wondering how many people with the basic plan has ever gotten approved. If there are any out there that would be awsome to hear from you. My daughter used dr david gellar to have the bypass done, she is doing wonderful, but that is not for me. wonderful considerate doctor that explains everything to you. I also have my best friend's daughter had dr allen. She had a lapband done when she was 18. She has her ups and downs and all but she has lost about 80 pounds. It has been three years for her and she is steadily losing some. I have talked with these two doctors and listened at st mary's and I think they are all up to par. Anyone out there that can answer questions about bcbsfep please let me know. And I truly believe we are all in this together.

All I can tell you is my seminar was in early Nov..of 2007 I have expediently filled out all my paperwork attended every appointment. I called my coordinator today to find out that my bc/bs traditional will probably take the full 6 weeks to decide if I am approved or not.. The main thing is we do have the ball rolling so lets think positive.. we are all in this together.