Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kentucky, "who's your Doctor"

ChaCa I think we will be in this together. I went to the seminar on Feb 11, 2008. the night of the big snow storm. I just turned in my packet today. They stressed listing the diets I have tried and failed at, it was so depressing but I listed them all (those I could remember) and I also wrote another additional letter to go along with it that explained how much this is effecting my quality of life, (my daughter suggested this) I don't know if it will help. I am really curious with how everyone is doing and this is exciting for me. I am looking forward to getting my approval, and getting back on track. I know everyone is in the same frame of mind going into this, there are so many emotions running in these posts. I can really relate to most of them. Lets hope we can have this done before our health gets worse. Keep me posted on how it goes for you too. are you with the fed empl program of bcbs?

My brother went that same night he was the fellow who came in there at the last. He was scheduled for the 7 PM but it was canceled so they let him sit in on the tail in of the earlier class. Do you mind me asking what is your BMI, Mine teeters between 38-39 so even though I am as round as I am tall they consider me border line (kind of funny really) I also, according to my GP am considered severly obese (it is all very confusing). I do have sleep apnea that is considered a health related illness . My surgeon seems to think there will be no problem with the approval but I still can't help but worrying until I get my letter in hand. My husband has our insurance through is work General Motors.

ChaCa, I am around 39 -40 bmi. I am just now getting started, that is the first night that I actually did anything as far as the lapband. I have talked to my general practioner and my pulminary doctor. they both agree that the surgery would help me. I also have sleep apnea, I went into rem 6 times and had 6 episodes, whatever that means. Dr Jain didn't like those results. I also have arthritis, high blood pressure and high cholestorol and asthma. I could probably mention others but I cna't think of any right now. We have federal employee program with bcbs. I let my husband choose basic plan, which may have been a mistake. Will find out soon enough I guess. Good luck with all this.

Mine is Dr. Geller out of Norton Suburban in Louisville. He did my surgery 7/3/07... I dont necessarily agree with the way he does fills but other than that I like him.

KMB0426, You have done so well with your weight loss you shoyld be very proud of yourself. I am on week 5 still waiting to hear from my insurance. I can see why people, if the funds are there would rather self pay. This waiting around for the other shoe to drop is ridiculous.

KMB0426, You have done so well with your weight loss you shoyld be very proud of yourself. I am on week 5 still waiting to hear from my insurance. I can see why people, if the funds are there would rather self pay. This waiting around for the other shoe to drop is ridiculous.

Thank you... has been a crazy journey so far. I understand the craziness involved, luckily I didn't have that bad of an ordeal. Just wait, you'll soon be celebrating your first "bandiversary" and you won't beleive how fast it all flew by.

Looking at surgery in April (woo who), Have PT and psy consult and see nutritionist all this month. and have to lose 10 more lbs by the end of March. Slow but sure.

Hello everyone! This is my first post, but I wanted to introduce myself. I live in Bardstown Kentucky and will be having surgery sometime this month.

My paperwork was submitted to insurance (Anthem BC/BS Blue Preferred) on 2/26/08 and I received my approval today 3/4/08. WOO HOO :drool:

I too will be having my surgery at St Mary's & Elizabeth by Dr. Olsolfka. He and his staff are so warm and friendly. I can't wait to get this ball rolling and start my new life as a thinner me! I have high BP, high cholestrol, diabetes type 2 as well as PCOS. I am so ready to lose weight and get off most if not all my medications. I am hoping to get in for my pre-op testing on Friday. Does anyone know what they do except Xrays and blood test? What is a Barium swallow??? Well, good luck to everyone. Talk to you soon.:cursing:

Newbie, I am so excited for you, that you got approved so fast. I am hoping mine goes that smooth, I rec'd email from st mary & elizabeth that they were submitting to insurance, bcbs basic and they were forwarding to the surgeons and I was to call and set up an appt with the surgeon, this all happened today but the lines were busy and couldn't talk to anyone, left my phone # on the message for them to call me. I have to go in for the initial appt. That is where it starts, and then if I qualify for the surgery they are to send the letter of medical nessecity... How long did all this take for you to get to where you were approved? I am wondering how long because I am going on vacation with my mom and aunts and don't want to miss an appt because of that and that is like 2 months. Is that expecting too much too soon? congrats and all the info the better. thanks cindy

ChaCa, how is your brother doing? you said he went the same night I did, just wondering where he is at with this whole wait thing or if he is going to go with st mary & liz or if he has decided to go through another hospital. I know I could not afford to pay for this out of pocket, I have to wait until the insurance will pick it up or I can't even consider doing the surgery. I know you are waiting on bcbs also, so I am saying a prayer that you are approved and things go well. good luck and keep letting me know how things are going.

Hello newbie and everyone!!

Newbie I' form Hodgenville!! Had my surgery on 2/26. I'm doing fine!! It was much easier than I thought it might be!!

Going for my first post op appt. tomorrow.

Anxious to see what they say!!

jaunderwood:thumbup:

Does anyone know what they do except Xrays and blood test? What is a Barium swallow??? Well, good luck to everyone. Talk to you soon.:biggrin:

Barium Swallow is the worst part of the whole day. You are in X-ray and you have to swallow this watered down chalk stuff it is thick and nasty. But it hases to be done. Then they gice you this gassy bubbles in crystal form to swallow and they give you a tiny bit of Water to swallow it with and you will want to burp or puke. DONT PUKE OR BURP you will have to do it all over again. (Bring mints and water for after) ick:thumbdown:

You will talk to a nurse. I sugest you bring all the medications you take. Either bring them in or write them on a paper with amount and how often.

You will have your heart tested to make sure it is in good shape. basically your in a chair and they hook you up to test.

Then they let you have lunch/breakfast. not much of a selection. so bring something if you can.

Then you go to a class room and talk about what you can eat before surgery and how you should eat after surgery. Super nice people.

Then you go up to the excercise room and get weighed and measured. and talked to about excercise and the such.

I sugest taking the day off work it does take a while. And wear comfortable clothes and shoes.

So your heading into an exciting time:thumbup: good luck

Newbie, I am so excited for you, that you got approved so fast. I am hoping mine goes that smooth, I rec'd email from st mary & elizabeth that they were submitting to insurance, bcbs basic and they were forwarding to the surgeons and I was to call and set up an appt with the surgeon, this all happened today but the lines were busy and couldn't talk to anyone, left my phone # on the message for them to call me. I have to go in for the initial appt. That is where it starts, and then if I qualify for the surgery they are to send the letter of medical nessecity... How long did all this take for you to get to where you were approved? I am wondering how long because I am going on vacation with my mom and aunts and don't want to miss an appt because of that and that is like 2 months. Is that expecting too much too soon? congrats and all the info the better. thanks cindy

Cerrin, Thanks for the well wishes! It didn't take too long from the point that I had my first visit with the surgeon. I was able to get an appt for 1 week after they called me. After I visited Dr Olsolkfa, the next week I had my dietician appt and psych appt on the same day. From there it was just a waiting game for all the groups to get their letters of medical necessity together to send to BCBS. They told me that it should be by the end of the week, but unfortunately the surgeons letter had to be redone so my stuff wasn't submitted to insurance for almost 3 weeks. That was the longest part of the whole process. I am hoping that my approval letter gets here by the end of the week so that I can be scheduled for my pre-op testing on 3/14, then my surgery date would be 3/26..woo hoo :shades_smile: Good luck, keep me posted on your progress.

Hello newbie and everyone!!

Newbie I' form Hodgenville!! Had my surgery on 2/26. I'm doing fine!! It was much easier than I thought it might be!!

Going for my first post op appt. tomorrow.

Anxious to see what they say!!

jaunderwood:thumbup:

I glad to hear you are doing well. I am hoping mine goes just as well. How long did you have to "take it easy" before you could get back to normal activity? I am suppose to help a friend with her daughters wedding reception. Just refilling food etc, nothing too major. If I get a surgery date of 3/26 I will only have 4 days until the wedding. I hate to back out with such short notice. I am hoping that I will feel good enough by then. Any good advice or suggestions for items to make sure I have for surgery day once I get home?

Jaunderwood, same question as Raymer, I would like to go back to work a week after surgery. I have a desk job but do travel alot. No heavy lifting just alot of driving.