Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kentucky, "who's your Doctor"

I, too, am found in KY. I will be seeing Dr. Lusco out of Louisville. I have my seminar on July 22nd at St. Mary's. This is all so new. Can anyone help with what to expect from the beginning???

I have talked with insurance company, BCBS PPO (federal), It is covered. :party:. My policy does not require any period of time on a supervised weight loss program. Also does not require me to lose a specific amount of weight before consideration. Best I can calculate, It should cost $2,000 or less. I have buffered at least $1,000.

I absolutely love this site.

Anyone need a band-buddy????

Any and all insight is appreciated.:biggrin2:

Hi Shelly--

I have Dr. Lusco too--and I just love him!! I can't say enough about him and about that whole group of people in the bariatric program. Debbie and Lana at the hospital are wonderful if you have any questions about insurance and Debbie has had the surgery herself so she can tell you about her experience. Kirk Evans, the exercise physiologist, is great to give you a kick in the pants to get you moving after surgery. I highly recommend participating in the exercise program--I even stayed on for 6 months after my free 6 weeks was up to make sure I developed good habits. Now I'm at the YMCA but I plan on going back to visit and might even go back to work out. Kirk is terrific about answering questions if you need help with your fitness goals!! Let me know if you have any questions and good luck to you!! :tt1:)

I was banded by Schuster on 7/15/08. I was approved by Anthem but the whole process took about 3 months. Good luck!

Hello again Ky,

Bandchick, you rock! I need your brain to help my brain out!!! lol lol

I am in the same boat at "BUSY". I have not a had a fill yet and I am letting my mind take over as far as night snacking goes. I had an oreo fix last week and have just been lacking in the staying strong department. I have a membership to the YMCA and don't go? I let other things take priority and need to get back on track. Thank you for posting such an encouraging and informative post.

Keep up the good work and please send some of your brain power and prayer power my way???!!!

hello again everyone. I am back to work bluh!, but doing great. I have lost a whopping 34 pounds since I started this and feel great. My goodness who would have thought and I havent been adjusted and I am a month and a week into this. I am doing Water aerobics and that makes it a bit easier to excercise, I love playing in the water and with the water weights it makes the playing excercise. Can't beat that. I hope everyone is doing as great as I am on this, I actually gained back two pounds one time when I weighed in but the next time I weighed it was gone again. Hey there is a lot of us out there, if you don't mind mentioning that you are having it done or had it done, you will be surprised to find out how many people you run into has had the lap band. This is great, I love this site. 34 pounds in 1 and 1/2 months. wonderful, who could've imagined? :thumbdown:

I am going through the process with olsofka now. I met him for my first appt the other day. I like him a lot and he did a hurnia surgery on my husband last year. I finish my 6 mon dr visits next month and have my psych and diet evals scheduled on 9-05-08. Hoping to be banded in october. Does this sound realistic to you? Have have you done over the last year?

Karen

I had my psych evaluation yesterday. That is quite fun. Lots of questions to answer. they said I was the sanest person they know. HAHA My husband found that funny. I have to get to 212 before my insurance can go thru. They require you lose 10% on your own. so I need to lose about 5 more pounds before August 22. If you have your test on 9/05 it takes any where from 3 to 6 weeks to get approval so October sounds reasonable.Good Luck

What type of ins do you have? I have BCBS of Minnisota. When did you find out that they require that? I haven't heard that about mine. I hope its not the same for mine because I am over 300lbs and that would be a lot to lose so quickly. Thanks for all you info.

Karen

I have BCBS of Tennessee. My doctor told me this at the first visit. At my last appointment I lacked one pound. Now I have gained 4 pounds and need to lose five before they will send my info to insurance.

Hello again Ky,

Bandchick, you rock! I need your brain to help my brain out!!! lol lol

I am in the same boat at "BUSY". I have not a had a fill yet and I am letting my mind take over as far as night snacking goes. I had an oreo fix last week and have just been lacking in the staying strong department. I have a membership to the YMCA and don't go? I let other things take priority and need to get back on track. Thank you for posting such an encouraging and informative post.

Keep up the good work and please send some of your brain power and prayer power my way???!!!

Hi Banded Girl--Hang in there with the YMCA membership--it makes all the difference in the world. I work out 3-4 times a week for about an hour to an hour and a half. I credit the exercise with my success as much as the band. And you know you can get the oreo fix once in a while--everything is ok in moderation. The trick is that you have to think of this whole process as a life change and not as a diet. The band is just another tool. I have an oreo or a few M & M's once in a while as a treat. You can't give up all of the goodies forever or you won't be able to stick with it!! Get yourself a workout buddy--that helps a lot too!! I push myself more when I have someone working out with me--it can even get a little competitive because you try to keep up with each other on the treadmill or whatever you are doing!! Good luck and keep me posted on how you are doing!!

hello again everyone. I am back to work bluh!, but doing great. I have lost a whopping 34 pounds since I started this and feel great. My goodness who would have thought and I havent been adjusted and I am a month and a week into this. I am doing Water aerobics and that makes it a bit easier to excercise, I love playing in the water and with the water weights it makes the playing excercise. Can't beat that. I hope everyone is doing as great as I am on this, I actually gained back two pounds one time when I weighed in but the next time I weighed it was gone again. Hey there is a lot of us out there, if you don't mind mentioning that you are having it done or had it done, you will be surprised to find out how many people you run into has had the lap band. This is great, I love this site. 34 pounds in 1 and 1/2 months. wonderful, who could've imagined? :lol:

Awesome job on the weightloss, Cindymom--Keep up the great work!! When do you have your first adjustment?? Should be anytime I would think--my first one was 5 weeks after surgery. Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress!!

I am in my fifth month of supervised dieting. I have Humana Insurance. Can any of you tell me if there is a set criteria that they are looking for when they are deciding whether to approve or not. I want to make sure my doctor does not leave anything out that they may jump on for denial. When I see him we talk about calorie counting and exercise and whether or not I have lost any weight. Does he need to write a letter? At any rate, after the 20th I am suppose to call the bariatrics office to set up my all day appointment I guess to see the nutritionist, pych, labs etc. I really don't know what all they do. I know I will have to have pulmonary testing and cardiac testing. Please enlighten me to any other information that may help me. I am going to have surgery at Central Baptist Hospital in Lexington, KY by Dr. Weiss and Dr. Oldham. :thumbup:

Cheryl

Shellyin Ky, I went thru bcbs fep. I have the basic and I had no copays or anything, I had to pay 100 up front for something, not sure what, but then it was covered 100%. It took less than two months to have it all done once I was sure that was what I wanted. I took longer because I had to fit vacation in before I had it done. But this should be quick fo ryou too. good luck with all of it though, this has been wonderful for me. down to 241 this morning.

oh Yeah! I had my first adjustment on Friday, a week ago, I got 3 cc's. My niece thought that was alot. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I don't feel like it was too much. I am still able to eat, never been nauseus yet, and I am losing weight. She said her dr only gives her 1/2 cc when she gets her adjustments. so What would you all say would be the norm? Just curious. Keep losing KYana!