Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc says no fruit--EVER

He advocates patients work to eating a pound of veggies a day with 1-2 fruit. (No juice tho)

A pound of vegetables per day? I'm only on my 5th week so maybe it will change. But I couldn't even begin to imagine eating that much per day. Especially in addition to the required Protein. I would have to eat every hour and still don't think I could consume that much.

Sorry I don't mean at any point in early pre-op! eventually like year 2+ also blending is an easy way to get in veggies- kale/spinach.

I am 4 weeks pre-op and get maybe 2 Tablespoons of veggies a day. (If that!)

His bariatric program gets a lot of traffic on YouTube and a little in this site for promoting a whole food/ Veggie heavy bariatric food plan. (Dr. Weiner- a pound of cure if interested)

EVER? Not sure why anyone would say that. I eat less fruit now than pre-op for sure. Just not a lot of room and I never mix it in a smoothie anymore. Really don't drink smoothies, ever unless I'm craving an iced Protein latte... IF I eat fruit, I EAT it. I do try not to drink my calories. I'm 2 years out. If I'm craving something sweet an apple with some almond butter for lunch or a snack is just the ticket!

I think he and the nutritionist believe that there is no point in eating so much sugar, that's all. Kudos to them for being brutally honest.

I'm fine with it, it is true that once it is being absorbed by the body, there is very little difference between watermelon and candy. It's all sugar. Giving up fruit is obviously something people don't want to accept. But like most things---everything in moderation makes the world go 'round :)

Gee -- you really didn't learn anything from this thread?

Gee -- you really didn't learn anything from this thread?

Did you? Not sure if u r aware of this, but every bariatric program is different. If you don't have tolerance for one that is different from yours, maybe just don't comment.

Seriously, what were you looking for / hoping to learn / hear when you posted your OP?

It's sort of tempting to make a fruit smoothie during my puréed stage of journey. But my doc said that once fruit is broken down, it's pure sugar. In fact, he says bananas are "sugar sticks". We shouldn't waste calories on fruit. Anyone having to do this as well?

Also, consider doing this: Ask your surgeon if you've really understood his instructions -- are you supposed to NEVER EVER eat any fruit again. Or does he just mean for a certain period during your weight loss phase(s).

His instructions are such an outlier amongst all the other bariatric program instructions that I seriously wonder if you have misunderstood what he said.

I was very strict with my carbs and sugar the first three months after surgery. Random muscles started twitching uncontrollably and I had no energy at all. My muscles ached all over. My doctor told me I HAD to increase carbs. In fact he wanted me to eat a few bananas a week. I thought he was crazy but I immediately increased my fruit intake and while it took another month or so to recover I felt SO much better. I'm also only 6 pounds from my goal weight so not too shabby.

My husband can make some magical salsas. My favorite is his pineapple mango salsa served over grilled chicken...I'm glad my doctor tells me eat the rainbow. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edited by KristenVSG2014

The recommendations for healthy diet are for all people, including those who have had bariatric surgery:Two servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables per day. During the first months of surgery it may not be phycially possible to get everything in and thus the need for supplment. The focus is on getting the Protein in and that is usually enough of a challenge, but eventually you should be able to eat from all of the food groups. pureed fruit is not going to stay with you very long because of its semi-liquid consistency so may not be fulfilling and lead to eating more. Think of anything except whole fruit as processed

OP - my nutritionist / surgeon / bariatric center of excellence is on the same lines as yours.

1) Protein

2) veggies

3) "good" carbs

4) if there is any room left, moderate fruit (not never again, but pretty darn close)

I rarely make it past Protein and if I make it past there, the max I get to is veggies. Vegetable consumption is to increase, but there is no push for additional fruit consumption.

As @@VSGAnn2014 stated, double check to make sure you fully understand your plan. My advice (for what it's worth) would be to follow your plan. Everyone's rules are different.

NOTE: I do not follow my plan 100%, but I am consciously working on it!

I do understand my plan and I will follow it. They also recommend no more carbonated beverages---ever. (Now hopefully nobody else freaks out about that too, Lol) #tooManyBossyPeopleHere

I really am curious -- what were you hoping to learn by starting this thread?

I agree with no carbonated drinks!

But realize that fruits include avocados, bell peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, olives....

yeah.... my program has us off of caffeine, alcohol, carbonated beverages, using straws, chewing gum, specific veggies (like corn and celery), yogurt, rice/pasta/oatmeal and discourages specific fruits (like watermelon, grapes and pineapple). They also highly discourage drinking calories, including Protein shakes... something that lots of programs highly suggest. Thats from orientation day out. After surgery we are supposed to do Protein first, followed by veggies and, if there is room we can add a whole grain complex carb from a specific list and then fruit (suggested start with apples for lower sugar content). Every program is different...

Edited by Rena H

I was not warned against fruit. Im 12 mths post op and i eat around 4 bananas a week. Thats all the sugar/natural sugar that i eat.. So im not concerned and nor is my doc and nut.

I do understand my plan and I will follow it. They also recommend no more carbonated beverages---ever. (Now hopefully nobody else freaks out about that too, Lol) #tooManyBossyPeopleHere

I was also told absolutely no carbonated drinks, ever.