Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When is weight loss rapid?

I had the sleeve done 5 days ago. I am a 400 pound man who pre-surgery could lose 4 pounds in a dat easy if consuming only 600-900 calories per day. I am following the program and walking.

That said I am devastated to only be down 5 pounds in 5 days in which I am averaging about 500 calories a day including day of and day after. I feel like my abdomen is a ball of liquid. I expected to be down 20 by now. Anyone only lose about a pound a day in first 5 days post op? I'd be ok with a pound a day in 2 months, but feel I am stalled too soon.

When did you see your most rapid losses?

My weight loss was more of a steady loss. I actually gained the first week from the IV Fluid I got at the hospital. I didn't start losing until almost the second week. I also didn't weigh very often.

A lot of people seem to have the trend of not losing and or gaining the first week post op.

Hang in there it will start working soon!!

Congrats on your surgery

You need to give the process more time. I was 323 the day of surgery and this is my weight-loss per week so far:

Week 1 - 5 lbs

Week 2 - 1 lb

Week 3 - 8.2 lbs

Week 4 - 9.8 lbs

LOL! You are a ball of liquid. You're chock-full of IV fluids you were pumped with while in the hospital.

Be patient. You're about to drop a lot of weight. Then you'll hit the "three week stall" which everyone does. And then that'll end and you'll lose weight faster again.

This is the reason that my surgeon told me to stay off the scale. I didn't notice any significant weight loss till a few weeks out. Try not to let it bother you. Keep following the instructions for your diet, and keep walking. It WILL come off. Overthinking about the numbers will cause undue stress. I hit a stall for over a week at week 3-5. Couldn't lose a pound. Then I lost 6 in a few days. If you do choose to step on the scale, be prepared for anything, cause it can vary so much from day to day.

I know it seems silly but I lost 5 pounds the day before surgery just by drinking Protein drinks so I was kinda hoping to be losing 2-3 a day for a couple of weeks. I do feel like I'm a bit Water logged- must be the IV fluids, etc.

Thanks everyone.

Honestly ... you don't want to lose it too fast ... that could lead to all sorts of other health issues ...

Slow and steady wins the race!!

Congratulations on your surgery and good luck :)

I agree with others stay off the scale. Early out its a good idea to just weigh at your doctors' appointments if the numbers on the scale are going to influence your mood, feelings and emotions.

Just focus on getting in all of your fluids and Protein, following your surgeon's instructions, and walking.

Please don't fixate on the calories or trying to restrict or manipulate calories. This is not a diet.

Your body is healing from surgery. In order to heal and lose weight you need to get in all of your Protein and fluids.

I gained 7 pounds after surgery. It took me just over a week to get that 7 pounds off and start losing actual weight. My surgery was on the 10th and I am down 16 pounds (23 if u count the Water weight). I agree with everyone else, it will happen ☺

Speaking as someone who started at over 400 lbs let me add to the chorus; STAY OFF THE scale. If you are going according to plan the weight loss will happen. Obsessing over numbers on the scale will only make you crazy.

FYI - If you're losing, no matter how slowly, you are not stalled. A stall is zero weight loss.

I'm so glad I read this thread. I'm two and a half weeks out and my weight loss has really slowed down and I was beginning to feel a bit disheartened and defeated. But it's very comforting to know that it's normal!! I tried to tell myself that it was, but it's much more reassuring to hear it from people who've been through it before lol. So thank you!

@@BrightEyes529 - Yeah, sometimes you will check the scale and nothing, other times you will be surprised how much has dropped. I find that if I don't see much change in a couple days, I will wait a week or so then check again. Hope you are recovering well!

There is huge misconception about how fast the weight comes off after WLS. I think the very rapid losers are far and few between...especially with the sleeve.

Yes, the first 6 weeks can be pretty rapid, but then it slows to a more normal pace of 1-3 pounds a week average. Like what was said earlier, some weeks more, some weeks less. Some weeks not at all! And sometimes you may even (gulp) GAIN.

Age, how much you have to lose, fitness level, etc are all factors in how rapidly the weight comes off.

I gained 7-8 pounds when I became post-op.

It took about 5 days before is started to come back down. I've been very strict on adhering to my surgeons instructions.

He laughed and said it's simply inflammation and Fluid from the IV and to not pay attention for a couple weeks.

After that 5th day its been coming off at a rate of 1.5 lbs per day.

You are likely just swollen a bit. The fact that you are 5 pounds down this soon is amazing.

Any day now you are going to be off to the races.