Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Las Vegas Rock N Roll 5k, 10k, half marathon Nov 14/15, anyone from the forums attending?

Hi all,

Iset a short term goal for myself to run in the 5k race and completed the Couch to 5k app. I'm set up to run in Las Vegas for the Rock n Roll running series on Nov. 14. Wanted to know if anyone from the forums will be running there as well? Would be great to connect in person if so.

Looking forward to seeing less of everyone!!

C

Congrats, @@craigcu , on doing the 5K.

I walk that far (and more), but haven't yet participated in a 5K event.

I'm signed up to run the 1/2 marathon. I'm also running the LA rock and roll 1/2 on Sunday and my medical team is not pleased with me. Those plans may change, but as of today, I'll be there

I'm doing the remix--5k and half marathon in Vegas. Did a half two weeks ago. Doing Ragnar Napa right now and Ragnar trail AZ in two weeks!

Anyone want to meet somewhere on Friday afternoon or even Saturday before the 5 k?

I'm signed up to run the 1/2 marathon. I'm also running the LA rock and roll 1/2 on Sunday and my medical team is not pleased with me. Those plans may change, but as of today, I'll be there

good luck with the one this weekend. I aspire to a half, but small steps first..

Why is your medical team not pleased with you? Are you fresh out from surgery?

No. My labs are out of control and they are concerned that it's because I'm becoming malnourished as a result of burning significantly more calories than I take in. They were also concerned because I ran the LA rock and roll 1/2 today and they were concerned that the Vegas run was too soon. We're still negotiating Vegas and hopefully I can run. I'm 17 months post surgery

Stacy, let me know if your going to be there and we can pick a place to meet. Would be great to get some perspective from someone a year ahead of me in the wls journey

No. My labs are out of control and they are concerned that it's because I'm becoming malnourished as a result of burning significantly more calories than I take in. They were also concerned because I ran the LA rock and roll 1/2 today and they were concerned that the Vegas run was too soon. We're still negotiating Vegas and hopefully I can run. I'm 17 months post surgery

Ah, got it. Are you doing what you need to do to get your labs back on track? Vitamins, nutrition, etc? I find I basically HAVE to graze to get in the nutrition I need. I keep a very heavy run/race schedule.

I'm almost two years out. I did a spring triathlon Oct 3, half marathon Oct 11, trail 10k (first in my division!) Oct 18, 18 miles of a 200 mile Ragnar Relay this past weekend, then I have Ragnar Trail in Arizona in two weeks then R&R Vegas (5k and half) the weekend after that!

Becoming an athlete post WLS takes a lot of attention to nutrition and eating. You can do it! But don't let your health suffer while you are learning how to fuel your body!

I have plans Friday night with an Internet group of people who have lost weight through running (if anyone goes to the expo look up the From Fat to Finish Line booth!) but would love to meet anyone who's there on Saturday!

Yes! I'm starting to. The whole thing I think started as a miscommunication between me and my surgeon. He knew that I was very active and was training for my first half marathon but when I asked to increase my calories, he told me to wait until my 1 year appt. So I was doing 15-20 miles a week, kick boxing and weight lifting while eating 800-900 calories a day. At my 1 year appt (2 days after my first 1/2 marathon) my labs were a DISASTER. My cholesterol which had always been perfect was (and is) around 310 and I'm showing signs of systemic inflammation. My surgeon got together with my primary care doc and the NUT and they decided a big chunk of my problem was that I was burning significantly more calories than I was taking in. They immediately upped me to 1200 calories, cut back my workout schedule and instructed me to eat back each and every calorie I burn. That has been difficult. It's hard to go from 850 a day to 1800-2000 a day (on plan) depending in activity level, but for my health, I'm trying. Also, I'm finding grazing is the easiest way to get my cals in, which scares me. I'd rather stick to planned meals/snacks. Did you have any problem with that mindset?

When I confessed that I was doing 2 half marathons in 4 weeks he told me to google the calories burned on a 13 mile run (which I already knew) and decide what I should or should not do based on that info and my food consumption. He's mellowed slightly in subsequent emails but would definitely prefer if I don't run. I got an email from him the other day saying "there's always next year."

So long story short, I'm more active but less healthy than before surgery and trying to take the necessary steps to get things back in balance. My surgeon's last message to me was if I hold up my end of the bargain and keep trying to get the nutrition in he'll make sure that things normalize so I can continue my activity level. I'm trying.

Thanks for understanding my issues, it's been hard to get people to understand the problem. Until you've had Bariatric surgery and tried to have a very athletic life after, it's had to comprehend the nuances!!

Even if I don't run I'll probably come to support my brother so I'll look for you at the expo! It would be awesome to meet!!

So let me throw out a suggestion, meet at the fat to finish line booth in the expo area on sat. 10 am? How will we identify ourselves??

10 am may be too early for me. We are flying in but I can't remember the time

If I can make it, I'll post what I'm wearing

Yes! I'm starting to. The whole thing I think started as a miscommunication between me and my surgeon. He knew that I was very active and was training for my first half marathon but when I asked to increase my calories, he told me to wait until my 1 year appt. So I was doing 15-20 miles a week, kick boxing and weight lifting while eating 800-900 calories a day. At my 1 year appt (2 days after my first 1/2 marathon) my labs were a DISASTER. My cholesterol which had always been perfect was (and is) around 310 and I'm showing signs of systemic inflammation. My surgeon got together with my primary care doc and the NUT and they decided a big chunk of my problem was that I was burning significantly more calories than I was taking in. They immediately upped me to 1200 calories, cut back my workout schedule and instructed me to eat back each and every calorie I burn. That has been difficult. It's hard to go from 850 a day to 1800-2000 a day (on plan) depending in activity level, but for my health, I'm trying. Also, I'm finding grazing is the easiest way to get my cals in, which scares me. I'd rather stick to planned meals/snacks. Did you have any problem with that mindset?

When I confessed that I was doing 2 half marathons in 4 weeks he told me to google the calories burned on a 13 mile run (which I already knew) and decide what I should or should not do based on that info and my food consumption. He's mellowed slightly in subsequent emails but would definitely prefer if I don't run. I got an email from him the other day saying "there's always next year."

So long story short, I'm more active but less healthy than before surgery and trying to take the necessary steps to get things back in balance. My surgeon's last message to me was if I hold up my end of the bargain and keep trying to get the nutrition in he'll make sure that things normalize so I can continue my activity level. I'm trying.

Thanks for understanding my issues, it's been hard to get people to understand the problem. Until you've had Bariatric surgery and tried to have a very athletic life after, it's had to comprehend the nuances!!

Ah got it.

Hmmm well honestly I've never been a three meal a day since surgery, I've always done several small meals a day...my restriction is too high to do much else, so to me it's the new normal. When I need to fuel I just eat more of those mini meals.

To be honest, though, I also never had any problems when I was only eating 600-900 calories and running 15 or more miles and doing yoga 3-4 times a week. My labs were normal and I stayed very heathy. I only increased my calories as I got closer to goal. Now I do 1800+ per day when I'm in training or racing.

How much do your calculations say you burn running a half marathon? All the calculators and apps and fitness bands and such vary so widely in their estimates. I've heard to use 100/calories per mile as a guideline but of course it varies depending on your weight. More specifically it varies based on your lean body mass so to get a completely accurate measure you need to know body fat percentage and resting energy expenditure as well. I know my body fat percentage but have never had my resting energy expenditure tested. All my fueling has been trial and error. I know my Map My Run app totally overestimates the calories burned and so does my My Fitness Pal.

It's a tricky balance for sure! I wish more people discussed this topic on here! I've tried and abandoned so many different fueling plans, now I am trying to increase my speed and do an under 2 hour half (I did a full marathon earlier this year) and fueling for that is a whole nother ball game!