Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vitamins, Supplements, and Protein Powder

Hello everyone,

My name is Becca and I'm having VSG on 11/12/15. I am looking to order vitamins/supplements and Protein Powder prior to my surgery. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on all or any of these items. Thanks ????

Becca

I have tried:

Bariatric Advantage Protein Powder: Orange Cream, banana, Iced Latte

They were ok tasting, overpriced.

Premier Protein: Strawberries and Cream, vanilla

Best bang for the buck if you can get them at costco or Sams. Taste is good

Isopure whey Protein Powder: Alpine Punch

I like this one. Its not as thick as other shakes. Wanted something Fruity.

WheyTech BodyTech Pro 24: chocolate Mint, banana Cream

Hands down my favorite Protein shake. I was always a vanilla guy, but this chocolate Mint shake is amazing. And you don't have to buy a huge tub of it either. The Vitamin Shoppe sells single serve packets of it.

Pure Protein Premade shakes (Pop Can size): Banan Cream

I liked these a lot too. Best Banana flavor I have tried.

nectar Protein: Sample Pack. You can get 13 individual packs for $15.00. One time only. Its really worth it. They have some good flavors but buying a large canister for 28+ is a gamble. http://www.si03.com/EMAIL/nectar_gng_sampler/nectarsampler.html

Isopure Protein Zero Carb DRINK: Alpine Punch, Apple Melon, Orange-Pineapple-Banana

I like these drinks. I got sick of the shake thickness after the 3rd week post op. I also did them for 2 weeks pre op so by then I had enough. The drinks are not for everyone. Its like gatorade but with a weird aftertaste. I suggest trying one to see if you like it. It might not be for you.

Vitamins:

I started with Centrum Complete chewables but after the first bottle, switched to Kroger Childrens Complete chewable Multi Vitamins. Better price.

I got B Complex Chewable wafers from The Vitamin Shoppe but didn't care for the after taste of the Kiwi strawberry flavor so I went back and got strawberry flavored gummies from The Vitamin Shoppe.< /p>

Calcium Citrate I bought through the Pharmacy at my local hospital but you can get them online. Bariatric Advantage Cal Citrate 500mg Chews, Orange flavor. My Surgeon told me to wait till I was a month Post Op to take these.

D3: I just got the cheapest bottle from the local Meijer or Kroger. 2000iu, once a day.

If you go to The Vitamin Shoppe, sign up for their rewards program. After the 3rd week after you sign up, they will send you a 20% off coupon in the mail. Try a few things from there at first and once you get that coupon, make a list of things you want to buy large amounts of, that 20% off is for the total of one shopping trip. I saved like 50 by buying a bunch at once. Good luck!

Edited by dlappjr

Thanks for the suggestions dlappjr. I've been using the premier Protein in chocolate or vanilla but having some other options is great. The chocolate mint sounds awesome! I also use unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

I found I was having a hard time with sweet Protein shakes after about a week. I also am having difficulty with my chewable multivits for the same reason. On the advice of others I have tried a teaspoon of cocoa powder mixed in with my chocolate flavored Protein powders really helps to cut the sweetness. I also used the unjury chicken Soup flavored Protein Powder, it was a lifesaver, It's warm and salty, it feels like comfort food to me. As for the Vitamins I've ordered the Patches from patch MD, they include your B12 and Calcium requirements, so for me a few less pills to take is awesome.

Hi vsgbeccab,

I'm having my sleeve surgery on 11/12/15 also! I'm in so cal. Where are you?

Heyjude11 - I'm in San Francisco! Let's definitely keep in touch :) is there a way to private message here?

I also have been using Premier Protein- chocolate, strawberries and cream,and vanilla. I like these as you don't have to mix- they are ready to drink. I've tried a few others that are powders and I haven't found any that I like. Next on my list to try are Quest ( I like their Protein bars), proteinmilkshakebar.com, and Unjury.< /p>