Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been considering surgery for a few years and I have my appointment with the surgeon in a couple weeks. I am 28 years old, I'm 5'5 and at my highest weight of 280. It's pretty evenly over my body with a little more around my waist. I was hoping being younger would help me in the skin area but I've made the mistake of searching about the topic of loose skin online. I'm terrified. I want to be heathy but I'm scared about the skin issue. I think I'd be more self conscious about the loose skin than being overweight. I'm also single and then there is the fear of someone would see me in clothes and then if things got serious and saw me without clothes if I have a bunch of loose skin everywhere,that they wouldn't be so kind. I understand that some loose skin is just going to be a fact, but I've seen some you tube videos of lots of loose skin that required surgery. Painful looking surgery.... I have been really excited about the appointment and now I'm second guessing. I need some encouragement. Anyone not have an issue with loose skin??

The ladies here will give you more details. If you want to get more graphic, head over to the "powder Room" the women's only forum. But you are thankfully young enough to possible get through with minimal extra skin. Most important factor - genetics. So I hope you picked your parents well. After that not smoking, cooler showers, staying out of hot tubs and the sun for a while all help. Exercise helps. I found yoga helps the most with contorting. And then healthy skin demands Protein and Water.

If you want kids, I'd hold off on the plastics until that time has passed, but they can do "re-dos."

When I was 28 lost a lot of weight and my skin went right back into place, but my breast on the other hand not so great. Over the years gain the weight back and at 43 I'm about the same thing as you... Good luck

Unfortunately, at 280 pounds, you will have some loose skin. I'm not being rude, it's just a reality. Most of us have excess skin to contend with. Some more, some less. You may be able to exercise some areas to tone them up because you're young enough, but honestly there is only so much we can do sometimes. Sometimes our skin just gets so stretched out from the losing and gaining, there's no going back. But there is always surgery ;)

I wasn't too concerned about it. I just wanted to be healthy again. Now that I am, I am considering a Tummy Tuck in a year. Even if it doesn't happen, I'm thrilled with my results and how I look and feel! The tummy tuck would just be the icing on the cake :)

Good luck to you! I really hope the skin issue isn't enough to deter you from surgery! I really believe you would be happy with your results! Skin and all!

@@jessmarie0122

To be naked and morbidly obese or to be naked and have loose skin. None of us are here to be a bikini/speedo models...(well maybe a few) lol If you can afford plastics its a good option...

You could always date another weight loss surgery patient. ;)

shar-pei-puppies_85427.jpg

There are no guarantees. It a wide bunch of variables that are based on age & genetics. Things that help are exercise, and hydrating your skin inside and out by drinking plenty of eater and moisturizing well. However as for loose skin turning a man off, I wouldn't worry about it. Most men aren't going to care. The ones that do, aren't worth your time anyway. I was really large pre-op. I'm only halfway to where I want to be but so far it looks like my only areas of concern will be my thighs and tummy. I figure once I hit goal if things are not to my liking then I can look into plastics. My top half, including my face are so far sag. free.

Wait. Can my double chin sag?

I used to terrified of loose skin but then I was just like "screw it. I have to loose this weight." Now I'm only mildly concerned. The only person that sees me naked is my husband i think he'll be fine with it. The rest I can hide it from.

But not a saggy face. ????

Edited by Tssiemer1

I'm 22 years old and have some of the same concerns as you. It's a little scary thinking about dating in the future and someone eventually seeing the problem areas you try to hide with clothes. I wish I could tell you that I don't have loose skin, but I'm just starting my weight loss journey and have no idea how much I'll end up with. Everyone's different though, so nobody can really give you a good answer.

I decided that my health was more important to me than my concerns over loose skin. I'd rather be healthy and do more stuff that I'm unable to do now because I'm overweight. I also had the surgery because of the type of career I wanted. Not many people want to hire someone who is overweight for a job that demands you to be physically active.

What it comes down to is, are you willing to overlook the loose skin in order to become a healthier you? :)

bodyweight.png?ts=1445433200

Edited by Steph0625

@@Tssiemer1 - I think saggy facial skin is more of a concern for women in my age range. (I'm 52). Thankfull't y I havenhad any.

I'd rather have loose skin, look hot in skinny jeans and OK nekky than have fat filled flesh, be unhealthy, look/feel uncomfortable in my clothes and look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy nekky. ;)

Just sayin!

@jessmarie0122 - since you are 28, you probably still have elasticity in your skin so you will probably fare better than me. I weighed 242 when I had my daughter at 22 and 204 when I had my son at 28. My tummy recovered very well then but I was not over 175 lbs but for a few months...

Unfortunately the weight I MAINTAINED from my early forties until May 2015 has not helped and my tummy will probably NOT recover. How long have you weighed 280? That may have an effect...

I agree, I would rather at 52, not look like the Pillsbury Dough inflated! The deflated version may not be to everyones liking but I am thinking of my health first!

I have the same fears. I was sleeved on 10/14 and am hoping that being young is going to help my skin bounce back (I'm 26). I have been overweight my whole life though, so we'll see what happens.

I'm trying to focus on my HEALTH, and not necessarily on how I will look after. It's more about how you feel ????.

Also, I'm determined to be with someone who loves me for me, regardless of how I look. I just started dating someone one week before surgery, so we'll see if he sticks around throughout this process lol

I am wondering if any of those wraps like IT Works, would help at all with some of the elasticity. I saw someone's fb who had a list of her clients and it included a gastric bypass client and it definitely made the skin look a little more taut. I might try them and see my surgeon said its ok after a week post op.