Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to chug... So thirsty

The sipping isn't cutting it. Not quenching my thirst!! Ahhhhh....

It gets better. Sip sip sip. Just keep at it. I get well over 70 oz of liquid a day without any real effort. It took a week or so to get to that point. Also depending on your diet, try things that will keep your mouth wet for longer periods of time, like pudding or yogurt. There are a lot of thing that just plain suck at first, but they get better. Honestly Basic Training was worse than this and I survived that, so I have no doubt I can make it through this.

Best of luck

Thanks. I am only 6 days home from hospital and just so thirsty but everything hurts and sick to my stomach. Don't want to take pain meds cause they make me sick too! ????

Not being able to take the pain meds is a big deal. You were cut open and rewired, stapled closed, no kidding your body has been through a lot. I took pain meds for about the first 10 days, I had some severe pain mid abdomen, and thank Percodan for getting me past that. If the meds make you sick, CALL YOUR SURGEON. Get different ones. Listen, I am a big guy, I am a Vet, Bouncer, blah blah, I'll gut anything out. Not this. No, Nut up or Shut up during this. If it hurts, I am listening to my body and responding. I suggest you do the same. Your bio does not mention what kind of surgery you had. You can expect very different results post op from the sleeve or the bypass.

It really does get better. At 12 weeks out I no longer have to sip. I honestly never really did. I even chug on occasion. ????

I had bypass. It's just crazy cause I feel so awful! I know I need to get up and walk and sip but I can't even get 1 bottle of Water down a day.

I had bypass. It's just crazy cause I feel so awful! I know I need to get up and walk and sip but I can't even get 1 bottle of Water down a day.

You have got to keep at it. Try sugar-free Popsicles. Try crushed ice. Try crystal light. Try Decaf tea. Try clear Protein like ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, Syntrax nectar, or Isopure. Any and all non-caloric, non-caffeinated fluids counted for me as fluids.

Have you talked to your surgeon NUT? Dehydration is serious and if you don't stay hydrated you will wind up back in the hospital.

By day 5 & 6 I was getting 100+ ounces in.

You just have to ensure a cup or bottle of Water is within reach at all times.

Number one reason for hospital readmission in the first six weeks post op for bypass patients is dehydration, and the reason really makes sense, once you get behind with your Water you cannot get caught up by chugging a big 32 oz bottle of Water. After reading that I made hydration number one on my list. Protein number two, everything else comes after that.

Ok so, sorry to keep at this but I am so lightheaded and feel awful. Have been sipping on Water all day and now a Powerade zero. What gives!!

No I cant seem to get anything in. Feel so sick after sips of anything!

No I cant seem to get anything in. Feel so sick after sips of anything!

Some things to consider. Is your urine clear or very yellow? Are you actually peeing? Is your mouth dry or do you have saliva? Are you running a fever? Research dehydration. When I was in the Army I was CAS Evacuated due to dehydration, the doctors told me I was within hours of death. Once you get dehydrated, there comes a point where there is no turning back, even with IV fluids, once the body reaches a certain point, you will die. Period. I'll stay up all night if I have too, but I WILL get 64 oz of liquids in me per day. (today was crazy 130oz) I spent 20 days in the Hospital in the Army due to an infection and dehydration, I don't remember most of it, I was very very sick. I do recall, the part about how close to death I was. If you think you are dehydrated, check your pee, if it is really super yellow, or you are not peeing at all, go to the hospital. They can hook up and IV and give you a couple bags of Ringers Lactate in an hour or two and that should keep you going. Whatever you do, KEEP DRINKING, unless you are puking it up and have nausea then call your surgeon asap as that can be an indicator of other things.