Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wanted: LapBanders from Durham Region

Post op help? My port is exactly where its not supposed to be.

That very morning I even marked an 'X' where Dr. Yau should put it, and then I realized its exactly where it should not be.

I keep banging that area of my abdomen on certain places, OUCH !!! Should I tell him now or later??

P.S. Maybe DonnaD or Weenette could swing by my place if you are attending the luncheon in September at Shep. & Bayview ???

I just forgot the date though....

Rose

exercise.png[/img]

Am looking for :help: any Lapbanders from Durham region? Whitby,Pickering, Ajax, Oshawa? Band Date is August 17th in Toronto. Looking for inspirational stories and experiences from people within this area. Very nervous and very nervous :phanvan about the preop diet. :hungry: Any tips and inspirations on how to get through this?

Rose,

I live in Whitby and have been banded since Sept 2006. It's very easy to be nervous, but this is the best thing you can do for yourself. The pre-op and post-op diets are, in my opinion, the hardest part about this journey. If we were able to eat small portions, we wouldn't be in this predicament in the first place. Which pre-op are you on? Optifast or yogurt and cottage cheese? Being with TLBC, I was given the yogurt and cottage cheese diet, but since I don't eat cheese, I was told that I could eat 1 lean chicken breast each day (along with the yogurt). I just made sure that I cut that chicken into the smallest bites possible and ate them one at a time to make the meal last longer. Drink lots and lots of Water. I drank tea but I don't use any sweetener and only a drop of milk. I found the post-op harder than the pre-op, but everyone is different. I also believe that TLBC has modified their diets since I had my surgery, so it may be easier now.

I am one of those people that is losing weight fairly slowly. I have lost 70lbs since Sept. but my level of exercise is still minimal (I'm just being lazy). I still have trouble eating small enough bites. I've just recently lost my father, and without the band I -know- that I would have put on a major amount of weight, but because I'm banded I've still managed to lose 1 or 2 pounds in the past couple of weeks.

I try to think of the band as a traffic cop. Until I'm smart enough to look at a plate of food and recognize whether it has too much on it, the band will do that for me. One of my problems is when I get the signal and there's still food that I -really- love left on the plate I have trouble pushing the plate away. It's not always a pleasant experience, especially if you ignore the signals from the band. People can describe "sliming" and "getting stuck", but you really need to experience them for yourself. But hey, I was at the Canadian Bandster Bash in May and there were people there that had been banded longer than me and they'd never experienced sliming. :banana

I still say that the decision to get banded was the best gift I ever gave myself. I have not regretted the decision. Not once. This procedure gave me back my life. I no longer waddle. I can get up off the toilet without having to push up off the counter. My knees and ankles don't hurt anymore. I can bound up the stairs (I'd say run, but I'm not quite there yet) where I used to lumber up and then have to rest to catch my breath.

You can read all over the many boards that are online and you will find that the majority of people say the same thing. It's the best decision they ever made.

If you have any specific questions, please email me and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Relax...it will all work out.

Hi Rose, I live in Ajax. You and Weenette and I should get together. I am away every weekend in the summer but pm me and we will work something out.

You will be glad you got the band. I was done in April and have had a bit of a slow start. Probably because I am not crazy about exercise. I feel great and my clothes fit better. I still have to learn to eat slower and chew more. Sliming and pbing are not very nice.

Take care

Hi Rose, I live in Ajax. You and Weenette and I should get together. I am away every weekend in the summer but pm me and we will work something out.

You will be glad you got the band. I was done in April and have had a bit of a slow start. Probably because I am not crazy about exercise. I feel great and my clothes fit better. I still have to learn to eat slower and chew more. Sliming and pbing are not very nice.

Take care

Okay Donna. I finally have to ask What are "sliming" and "PBing" ???:cry:cry

Ok Lisa here is goes.

Slime (verb - sliming - gross) when you eat, chew and swallow the food properly ie. chew, chew, chew! it is supposed to go down smoothly. If you don't follow the rules the food gets stuck. Your body wants to help you so it creates this very thick somewhat snotty stuff to either push the food up or down. (Mostly up)

PB ing in Productive Burp. You will feel a gag like vomiting motion but you will burp up the food that is stuck. It is the same motion but not as gross and bile like as regular vomiting. Trust you will know when either one happens. Don't freak out just get the stuff up and out asap because it is very uncomfortable. You DON'T want this to happen at all or very often it is rough on the esophogus. Chew lots and swallow little bits only.

Hope I didn't gross you out but them's the facts.

xo

Deb, it is so good to hear from you...Are you the woman I met in the waiting room June 20th? Does not matter either way, very glad to hear your ideas and comments and thoughts of inspiration...Would love to keep in touch...what is your email? Mine is rose.suongas@sympatico.ca.

I really loved to learn about your info. What is pbing? huh?

I have also heard from another woman from Ajax, perhaps we can meet for a coffee sometime? Rose

Hello DonnaD,

I am so glad to hear from you....We should all three of us get together..

I loved to hear people's stories and thoughts to keep me going through this...What is your email? MIne is rose.suongas@sympatico.ca

Would love to keep in touch....Thanks again..

Rose

Weenette,

I will be starting the preop diet on August 5th. I have been given the cottage cheese and yogurt....I cant stand the cottage cheese, well, I can kinda tolerate it if I put a little pineapple in it....Allowed?

Dont know. How do you survive for the two weeks? My procedure is booked for Aug. 17th.

Dearest Donna D.

Well, maybe a little grossed out but I needed to know what's in store for me once I start getting fills. First one is August 20. Right now, no sliming, no Pb'ing, just more gas than I've ever had in my life!! It builds up over the day. I have a Protein drink and a coffee(black) for bkft., Soup for lunch and dinner, and have to retreat to the bathroom for hours after dinner. I'm taking Gas-X , 5 per day. Help!!!??!?!!

Oh Lisa it happened to all of us. It does eventually slow down. I can't say it stops though. I have good and bad days. Let r rip....

Hi Fellow Lapbanders,

I found this post and was wondering if you have arranged any informal coffee get-togethers yet? I live in Ajax and would love the opportunity to chat with you over coffee. I am scheduled to have my surgery on September 20th at the WLSC with Dr. Mumford.

:clap2:

Hi Fellow Lapbanders,

I found this post and was wondering if you have arranged any informal coffee get-togethers yet? I live in Ajax and would love the opportunity to chat with you over coffee. I am scheduled to have my surgery on September 20th at the WLSC with Dr. Mumford.

:clap2:

Sorry about the short notice Lianna but if you want you can meet a few of us at Tim Horton's on the corner of Harwood and Kingston Rd this Wed nite about 7 pm.

Hi Donna,

I would love to meet you for coffee tonight. I will be there at 7pm. One question, any hints on how I will recognize some of the ladies? Don't want to sit down at the wrong table and startle anybody! LOL

Oh Lianna...would be thrilled to have you there !!!!!

Rose has real short dark hair. Deb has blonde hair. Marlaine has dark hair

too and is short too, not sure when Donna can make it....

Enough info?

Love to see you there!!!!

Rose :clap2: