Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 days post op and still not in the groove of things

I'm still in pain I have 6 incisions. I'm walking and trying to drink as much Protein Shakes as I can bear. At this point I'm sick of them! Any tips? Any suggestions? I still haven't learned what hunger feels like I just where I feel depleted almost and need a recharge. I go to college and today after sitting through 1 class (1hr 30min)it was hard to sit through the 2nd without feeling discomfort in my abdominal area. I think I still have gas. So if any one has some tips, suggestions, words of encouragement, or comments please leave them. I don't know anyone who has had this procedure and feel alone during this process. Thank you.

It sounds like you are having a perfectly normal recovery. There is no magic wand or secret to make recovery go faster. Keep walking and keep trying to drink the Protein Shakes and keep hydrated generally. It really doesn't matter if you are sick of them, as long as you can choke them down, keep going. Right now, food is about nourishment, not enjoyment.

It took me months and months to even experience hunger again after surgery. It's absolutely normal that you are not really feeling it right now, but are feeling something different. Follow your plan as best you can. You will feel better very gradually as the days and weeks go by. Good luck!

At 6 days, you are doing much better than I was! Very typical recovery....if you are still having same issues at 6 weeks, maybe time for concern. Hang in there, it gets better very soon

@ - Jut keep doing what you are doing. What you are feeling is perfectly normal. Stay hydrated, keep up with the Protein & walking. Since you returned to school make sure to sneak in a cat nap whenever you can.

walking, walking, walking....that was the only thing that helped get rid of my abdominal/gas pain. Yes, you feel weak, depleted...that will feel that way for about 3 weeks or so. And the Protein at this point, although, good...make sure you are just drinking. Part of that weakness is dehydration. I was so dehydrated I had leg cramps when I'd walk. It wasn't pretty. Fluids are your biggest friend right now and the protein, etc will fall into place when you can.

If you can, I recommend trying powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup. I really didn't like the Protein powders - I think they all taste vaguely of eggs unless I put Peanut Butter in them, which made me extremely queasy in the first few weeks. It really was the only thing I could stand. I put a little pepper in it. You should be able to do broths too - that will help keep you hydrated. Be sure to use low sodium broths.

There's no way in hell I would have been able to go to class at 6 days post op. I was only walking about 15 minutes a day at that point. It took me 3 weeks to get back to work!

CJ

It may be hard to believe, but you are doing great! I couldn't go back to me regular schedule for two weeks after my sleeve surgery. Take it easy and like everyone has said, keep walking. I found low-sodium broths were far more palatable than Water and had more of them than Water at the beginning. Just keep plugging away. at this point walking, water and Protein are your priorities. You will get through it and things will get much, much better!

I'm two weeks post-op. Its hard at first but it gets better quickly. At least it did for me. Hope it does for you as well.

You are doing great! I know it is hard not to feel down right after surgery. I had to force myself to eat and to walk...but I kept doing it, knowing it would be a temporary struggle. I was allowed to eat non fat greek yogurt, fat free cream Soup (strained), SF popsicles, SF Jello and pudding, Protein shakes, sf applesauce (toss in some powdered milk and dilute), diluted cooked Cereal like cream of wheat, oatmeal or grits (but my pouch hated the cream of wheat).

Do as much walking as your body will allow...that was the only thing (other than the PPI doc prescribed), that got rid of the gas and stomach pains. You are not alone, and you do have this!!! Hang in there!

I agree with the others. It sounds pretty normal. Can't believe you are back in class at only 6 days post-op. I didn't go back to work until 15 days post-op and it was STILL very hard for me to make it through the day. Fatigue was my real issue.

Just make sure you get your Water in, get your Protein in, and walk walk walk. Once you can start eating purees and soft foods, make sure your measure it out and eat on a schedule. You probably won't experience normal hunger or "fullness" in the first several weeks at LEAST, so it's important to just eat what you are supposed to when you are supposed to and not rely on your body to tell you what to do.

My first week post op was terrible! For some reason it all changed the second week. I felt much better. I was really struggling with getting all my Protein so I decided to bulk up my Protein Shakes. My Protein Powder has 21 grams of protein, I used skim milk instead of Water to give me 8 more grams, then added PB2 for an extra 5 grams of protein making my shake 34 grams of protein in 8 oz. if you can drink 2 of them a day, you hit your protein goal. It is easier for me to drink 16 oz of a Protein Shake all day than to force feed myself lower Protein Drinks all day. I hope this helps

My first week post op was terrible! For some reason it all changed the second week. I felt much better. I was really struggling with getting all my Protein so I decided to bulk up my Protein Shakes. My protein powder has 21 grams of protein, I used skim milk instead of Water to give me 8 more grams, then added PB2 for an extra 5 grams of protein making my shake 34 grams of protein in 8 oz. if you can drink 2 of them a day, you hit your protein goal. It is easier for me to drink 16 oz of a Protein Shake all day than to force feed myself lower protein drinks all day. I hope this helps

I did the same thing except I used greek yogurt (13gms protein) and almond butter.

Thank you everyone. I'm glad what I'm experiencing is normal. School is hard I get tired so quickly. I feel bad today but because my sisters dog jumped on me lst night. So my pain level is higher than I feel it would normally be. I really appreciate all the word of encouragement and the tips.

Thank you it means a lot.

Sorry you have to get back to regular life so quickly. Hopefully when you are not in school, you can rest and heal. I would drink your Protein drinks and add a variety of items as suggested above like high Protein, low fat, low sugar greek yogurt, creamy Soups like low sodium butternut squash, clear Isopure and SF popsicles, etc.

I know that I have prescription pain meds or I can take Tylenol for pain every 6 hours or so. You can do this.

Yes I have rx pain meds but they make me feel lightheaded a loopy feeling and I don't particularly like that. I just think if the pain is tolerable I should be fine. I've left a message with my surgeon regarding my Protein intake because everyone else on here is getting a lot more than I am. So hopefully I can add some extra stuff to my diet.