Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shake Problems...

I start Protein Shakes tomorrow and all I can seem to find is these drinks in packs of 4, 12..... Do any of them come individually. How am I supposed to try these if I have to buy them in large quantities... what if I hate them? Advice??

There are many options available on Protein shakes and supplements. GNC carries quite a few. I would probably go there to start experimenting.

I used Protein powders (Muscle Milk Light - vanilla Creme). I found it to be acceptable. For me most Protein Shakes taste terrible. The objective is to find one that you can tolerate after surgery.

@@StephOnTheMove I bought mine at the dreaded Wal-Mart and my local Safeway (Vons) and I kept my receipt(s); when I didn't like them I took them back for either an exchange or store credit.

On Amazon they have the Syntrax (which is my personal favorite brand) sample packs, they come with a variety of flavors and then you can decide from there which ones you'd like to buy bigger sizes of.

You will most likely go through a phase of ones you don't like and yes some money will be wasted.

Whatever ones you buy, keep them ice cold and I even have a friend who warms her chocolate Premier Protein shake like hot chocolate. I have put mine in the freezer for 15-20 minutes, it makes it more palatable and it kinda feels like a treat.

Isopure (damn expensive) has a variety of flavors, kinds, drinks, powders, pre-mades and what nots; they are all really good but like I said expensive (even on Amazon).

You should also keep in mind that the powders can be mixed with unsweetened Almond Milk, vanilla (unsweetened) Almond Milk, 2% Fairlife Milk and blended with a pump of SF Torani syrups. Yum!

Keep an open mind and don't get discouraged. Protein is essential!!

Thanks=) I cant have the Protein powders yet so the shakes will have to do... I'm going to thin them out and definitely keep them cold and just hope that by some miracle... I find a few that are ok =)

May I ask why they don't allow powders? What was their reasoning? I am just curious as I have never heard powders being an issue.

It still amazes me how different and varied Surgeon's post-op plans are!

Thanks=) I cant have the Protein powders yet so the shakes will have to do... I'm going to thin them out and definitely keep them cold and just hope that by some miracle... I find a few that are ok =)

GNC has a very liberal return policy, and with a receipt and unused product they usually have no difficulty to allow for a return or exchange for their products.

I also am curious as to why your surgeon does not permit using Protein powders?

Best wishes for a successful weight loss journey...

I ended up at Walmart like you suggested. The logic behind the no Protein powder initially is that... powders don't always mix completely and the sediment is tougher for me to tolerate/digest. It's not a permanent ban on powder just for a few weeks I think. @@Ashlegal I completely agree the disparity among post op programs baffles me. It's tempting to veer off track and mix and match what my NUT /doctor say with what I read on here but I know for a fact that would open a can of worms. So it's 3 weeks of full liquids for me.... one day at a time. I survived 12 days of Clear Liquids this cant be worse. hopefully. Shit I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I agree with everything poted here. You most likely will not find one that you "like" but one that you can "tolerate". I would guess I went through 6-7 before I settled on AMP chocolate from GNC. Another thing to keep in mind is that GNC has a guarantee, if you do not like their products, you can return them even if they are opened. Good Luck!

I bought my first couple of months supply from GNC, ended up trying one scoop out of 4 different kinds and then taking them all back to the store, and giving my money back. I can not stand the taste of Protein Shakes and most pre mixed liquid. I have only found one brand that is not chalky and doesn't have that nasty Protein smell. I actually took what everyone on here said and also ask a few ask a nurse programs and also my insurance nurse line and just kinda mixed all of them together and did what I could handle. I always told my dr if I was doing something different and normally he was ok with it. Here is the only protein that I can drink(it comes in different flavors)post-255575-14446178383184_thumb.jpg

Its so funny how everyone has different tastes when it comes to Protein brands. I used to love Premier Protein, but after surgery couldn't handle them (I still think they are tasty, but they give me nausea when I drink them). So far, the only Protein I can handle are the Isopure powders. But just because that works for me doesn't mean anything for you. You will just have to try a bunch.

As people here are saying, just take them back if you don't like them. Most grocery stores will accept returns with a receipt if you didn't like it.