Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Month Surgiversary - WOOT!

Happy Friday!

Today is my 4 Month Surgiversary. I have lost a total of 56 pounds, weighing in at 196, down from 252 pounds.

I had no complications from surgery, and my recovery was ridiculously easy. I haven't gotten sick once, and have yet to eat something that my sleeve of steel doesn't tolerate. My doc had said that my sleeve was small, and was meant to hold 3 ounces. I can usually take in 4 or 5 ounces, which she says is fine and which I don't really understand, but I am trusting her on that).

I run 2-3 miles, 4 times a week, try to follow a low-carb diet (not too strictly;I essentially just keep myself under 50g per day) of 1000 calories per day. I have a glass of red wine almost every night. I include this in my calorie count. If alcohol is considered a "cheat," then it is the only cheat I'm currently enjoying.

I was required to quit a 30-year smoking habit several months before surgery and, to be honest, the pre and post op diets were an absolute cakewalk compared to giving up the cigarettes. But I'm nearly 8 months smoke free, and I'm thrilled to have gotten through the process unscathed.

Although I've lost 56 pounds, I've been wearing the same pant size for the last 3 months; the waist on my size 18s still fit, but the legs, butt, hips are extremely saggy. I'm looking forward to getting into some more fitted size 16s, as I'm looking pretty sloppy at present.

I feel great, and I look pretty darn great, too. I'm delighted I made the decision to have VSG. The results thus far have been wonderful!

post-247086-0-82602100-1444404795_thumb.jpg

You do look darn great! I am so glad you posted a story of no complications. Most of what I read gives my pause about going through with the surgery. I am scheduled for 10/15.

@@Onelife I would just advise you to follow your diet to the letter, to eat as slowly as possible (use a baby spoon or chopsticks), to drink your Water and take all of your meds. Most importantly, be good to yourself. You are going to have cravings, you'll stall, you'll feel fatigue. Everything is but a temporary situation, so try to keep your chin up and look at the big picture.

Thanks for the reply. I saw a couple of other positive post today also of people doing well post op without complications. I am praying that will be me also.

@@SleevePerry You look amazing!

Running is a goal for me. I have started walking (9 days post op today), but I dream of being able to run a mile. How / when did you get started?

Congratulations on your success. :)

Congratulations you look amazing and I bet you feel that way too ☺️

Congratulations!

@@mykdzmom I started briskly walking on the treadmill at 4 weeks, usually on an incline of 4-5. After a few weeks of that, I ran 1/4 mile, then walked until my heart was no longer racing, then ran another 1/4. I just kept on doing that, increasing my running distance and making my walks shorter and shorter. I think Couch 2 5k is similar, in that it has you run for short periods, increasing that run time as the weeks go on. Good luck!

@@Onelife You should create an Instagram account and search the hashtag #vsg and #wls. Start following people who post with those tags. You can basically follow them from pre-op to goal weight and beyond, seeing what they eat, what issues they have, their physical progress. I've found it very helpful. Good luck!