Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in Seattle...I need my coffee...

I'm getting sleeved on Monday. My NUT made me promise that my last cup of coffee will be tomorrow morning. I'm sure there are things I should be more focused on, but I am honestly worrying about giving up coffee. How does everyone's DR handle coffee? Have you started drinking it again? Decaf or the real deal?

I've seen programs vary. Me? I've been drinking caffinated coffee since a month post surgery. Two cups a day. And sometimes an iced sugar free almond milk Carmelizer from Dutch Bros for a treat ;)

Oh, I'm 13 months out and below goal. I've been strict to my program except the caffine. It just was something I wasn't willing to give up. Right or wrong :P

The concern is because coffee can sometimes cause additional stomach acid. This is a very big deal since painful acid is not only painful, it can lead to ulcers. coffee & caffeine is one of those things that different programs will give you varying replies on. Some allow, some don't some allow after 6 weeks, etc... Follow YOUR doctor's orders. It may be hard, but your health is worth the restraint.

I was allowed Decaf only until 6 weeks. I hate decaf, but I went with it. I now enjoy an occasional cup with no problems.

@@Babbs I love Dutch Bros! We don't have it here but my grown up daughter lives in Corvallis and it's always a treat when we visit.

@@BLERDgirl great point about the acid.

Ok, a month...six weeks...I can do that! :)

@@Seahawkgirl - I got rid of soft drinks, weaned off of coffee, switched over to tea. I used 5 hour energy to help with caffeine free fog during the 6 week no coffee period. Now I drink coffee with Protein powder and stevia.

Seahawkgirl - I drank 3-4 cups of coffee every day. I gave it up a few months pre-surgery and I could probably have it now, but I like it with full fat cream and sugar, so I'm going to pass. Because it is getting cold here (I live in Boston - no hating!) I wanted to be able to drink something hot....I missed it....so I started drinking Decaf tea with a little milk. It satisfies my need to drink something hot, etc.

I totally understand why you would want to drink coffee though....I ADORE the smell....but I don't adore the extra calories!

@@OKCPirate - great idea to add Protein powder to coffee!

@@Margie122 - I'll give you a pass because my nephews live in Boston :P. I dont use sugar and just a splash of cream, so I'm ok on calories. I do like tea, I'll have to find some fun choices to tide me over!

My doc says no caffeinated coffee for 6 months post surgery. In addition to the stomach acid, caffeine can be dehydrating and you need to drink more Water.

I'm doing some Decaf now when I'm really craving it. I only take a splash of cream, so, it's not a big deal. But I miss real coffee.< /p>

CJ

I loved nothing more than my morning cup of coffee pre-op.

I lost the taste completely for coffee post-op. Go figure ? ☕️☕️

I drink Decaf hot tea with Splenda and a splash 1% milk.