Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can anyone compared RNY to c-section?

I had 2 C sections and though I did get up and walk a lot in the hospital, it was very painful getting in and out of bed, turning over, etc. for at least a week.

I had an attempted bypass 4 weeks ago (surgeon was not able to get my intestine to stretch far enough due to heavy dense fat in the mesentery - currently on liquid diet for a month to try again) and I went home the same day (Wed) and went back to work on Monday. I know I'll have more pain/fatigue with the actual bypass, but the big difference from a C section is that you have only very small incisions - not a 10 inch cut through all the muscle layers.

I had 3 c-sections...I think this surgery and recovery was a little bit easier. I was so paranoid of something going wrong with this one internally. I would say gastric bypass was easier.

I had 3 c sections and I think the RNY was way easier. The worst part for me way the drain. When it was removed it was so much easier. I had mine done in Mexico and was in airports from noon till 11 pm 3 days after surgery. Not too bad.

I had two c-sections. First one was an emergency. Recovery wasn't bad. It took me about a week before I was up and on my feet and two weeks before I could sleep comfortably. My second one was pre-planned, but also an emergency because it had to happen sooner than expected. That recovery was ROUGH...I had a really bad head cold and terrible cough...it took me about a month before I was really moving normally...although I was driving before I had my stitches removed (my daughter had to stay in the NICU).

I had my lap band removed at the same time as my bypass surgery. The hospital stay was rough. I couldn't sleep well and I was so sore. So in many respects it was very similar to my second c-section in terms of recovery. But I also didn't control the morphine drip like I could have post surgery. It annoyed me having to push the damn button every 10-15 minutes...so that may be why it was a rough recovery.

However, many of my friends who had the surgery were fine right after. My doc said I had a lot of scar tissue when they removed the lap band and they had to cut into some muscle so that may have been why I was so sore and my body rejected the sutures in a few wounds, so they had to cut the sutures out. -_-

But I am sure you will be fine. Most of the individuals in my support group (well most of the women) said this was a piece of cake in comparison to a c-section.

Best of luck!!!

I had 2 C-sections at 14 months apart.. It was the worst pain; it was definitely worse. Post op WLS-RNY and goal weight... eventually I found my C-section scars. :blush:

The WLS was a breeze by comparison. I was well prepared for WLS, both physically and emotionally, so I think that helped. My surgeon was magnificent... For along time I even questioned; did I have surgery? No pain post op and even no bruising! Oh, but I did have five tiny band aides from the port sites: laparoscopic WLS. :)

Wow, thank you all SO MUCH for your responses. I'm obviously hoping the RNY is easier recovery than my c-sections but I will take it as it comes! :) That darn gas pain seems to be the biggest culprit so hopefully I can walk soon after surgery and work it out of there :)