Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Motion Sickness Question

I travel quite a bit for pleasure, some driving, some flying. Because of an incident when I was younger (about 22 years ago), I always, always take dramamine when I fly. For short one hour hops, I take the non-drowsy formula, and for anything longer I take the original formula dramamine.

A few hours ago, I took my first flight post-op, and it was the first time the dramamine has failed me in over two decades. I didn't get sick, but I was extremely nauseous, and my mouth filled up with saliva like it normally does just before I start to vomit. Before my surgery, I would never feel a thing when flying with Dramamine. When I asked if it was okay to take dramamine at my first post-op doctor's visit, I said I was wondering how it would work with just a pouch, etc. The doctor said it should still work and shouldn't have any problems.

So, of course, now I'm all sorts of anxious because I love to fly, but if this motion sickness medication doesn't work as well as it used to, if at all, I might end up quitting flying all together. I definitely don't want that. I go back home Monday night so we'll see how it goes on the return flight.

I know I'll be extremely nervous whereas before I was always completely calm.

Anybody else have any experience with motion sickness medicine post-op?

​I wonder if it just absorbs differently? I know that my endocrinologist told me my thyroid med wouldn't absorb as well and sure enough at first labs, we had to up the med. Is it possible for you to take a larger dose? (Sorry I am not familiar enough with Dramamine to know.) Or maybe you could try Bonine (I have used that before - make sure it doesn't have aspirin in it - I'm not positive). Or maybe even seasick wristbands? Or failing all that, a prescription for Zofran, Phenagren cream or even a patch that goes behind your ear to calm the nausea? I had that after surgery and it was wonderful. Plus I have friends that have used those Patches on a cruise. There are other solutions so do not fear. It might just be a little try and error to find the right answer.

I have this same question! I have always had to take large doses of both kinds of Dramamine to not feel sick. Flying for first time post op and 80lbs less on Wednesday. I plan on mixing the regular tabs with the chewable as I am thinking The chewables might work better?

I am certainly open to trying new things.

I came out to Washington DC to see the Redskins-Eagles game yesterday. Yesterday morning about an hour before getting on the Metro out to the game, I took another Dramamine just in case I had motion sickness. It was a pretty long ride as Metro rides go, and sure enough, right near the end my mouth started filling up with saliva. I was almost desperate enough to try and get off the train early to settle down, but I managed to fight through it. It probably didn't help that I was facing the opposite direction that the Metro was going.

On the way back to the hotel, I was fine, but I made sure I was facing the direction the Metro was traveling.

I've not tried the chew-able tablets or up-ing the dose (I only took one pill each time I did). There's a CVS across the street from my hotel so I'll see what they have available. I'm already extremely nervous about my flight back so psychologically I may be a bit of a wreck by the time the plane takes off. :wacko:

Ugh. I'm so sorry. Motion sickness is just awful. Especially when you can't eat much which is what I used to do to try to settle my stomach. I hope you can find a solution to get you back home at least!

My Doctor prescribed Transderm Scop 1.5mg Its the patch & comes in a box of 4. I get motion sickness also. He said to put it on the night before surgery (It takes 4hrs. to work) for nausea. It lasts for 3 days. Maybe something like this will help, ask your doctor if he can prescribe it for you.

I did take the chewable Dramamine yesterday afternoon before my flight back home, and that seemed to work. I took two of them, one about 3 hours before my flight with food and one about an hour before my flight. I didn't feel the plane at all which is the way I'm used to flying. I also was asleep most of the flight.

My next flight at the end of this month is a bit longer (1 hour hop, change planes, then 4 hours), so hoping the chewables work as well then.

I did see the Bonine at the CVS I went to; I'd never heard or seen it before, but I usually have tunnel vision when it came to Dramamine. It always seemed to work in the past.

Edited by DangerMouse007

Was just thinking about you and wondering if you made it home OK. Glad you did! Maybe call Dr for a different solution for the longer travel time coming? The transderm patch mentioned above seems like a good bet!

Good to hear! Makes me feel better about my flight tomorrow!!

@@DangerMouse007 This was a lifesaver for me as I've always been a Dramamine girl myself. It's called DiVertigo. My surgeon recommends it for those with nausea or motion sickness as it's not just for those with Vertigo. Here's what their website says:

Use DiVertigo for relief of vertigo, nausea, dizziness, and other symptoms.

Starts working FAST – DiVertigo can be taken any time to prevent problems associated with sudden onset of vertigo symptoms. However, if you start to feel an attack, you can apply right away. Most people can start feeling a difference in 2-5 minutes.

Effective even after symptoms have occurred – DiVertigo begins to work within a few minutes after application. Most medications for the same purpose are effective only after 30-60 minutes.

No drowsiness or other side effects – The most common side effect for typical vertigo medications is drowsiness. DiVertigo is an All Natural solution to vertigo and its related symptoms. There are zero side effects. You can stay wide awake while using it and accomplish your daily routine without fear of undue sleepiness.

Doctor recommended – Doctors recommend DiVertigo, because it doesn’t have side effects, is safe for ongoing use, and works even after symptoms have begun.

Not a pill – When your stomach is feeling irritated, the last thing you want to do is swallow something. DiVertigo is a topical application is simply applied behind the ears and is safe for ongoing use. Because it is an all natural solution and not a pill, DiVertigo also does not require Water as a supplement.

You can go to their website and print a $2 off coupon :D

post-236324-0-87034200-1444226662_thumb.jpg

Next flight is tomorrow, Friday. Going to go with the Dramamine chewables again since they seemed to work well on my return trip from D.C. earlier in the month. I wrote earlier that this flight would be a one hour hop then four hours, but I realized I'm not flying in and out of Baltimore but Chicago so I have two flights of about 2.5 hours each coming up.

I work at night, and my flight is in the early morning so I'm heading to airport straight from work. I'm sure I'll have no problem sleeping on the flight...fingers crossed.

Now my next concern will be one that doesn't really have anything to do with motion sickness. I live alone so knowing how much I can eat and being careful in chewing my food and making sure I don't eat fast is easy. However, on this trip, I'll be with family and friends for the first time. I've made them aware that my eating habits have changed quite a bit, but I know that we'll be eating out for most, if not all, meals. I haven't really gone out to eat much here at home. Going to be an interesting experience.

Anyway, just thought I would update my own thread.

Good luck! I did chewables last time-both kinds of Dramamine and it worked great! Flying again in a few weeks and will do the same. You'll be fine eating out. It helps to look up the menu online beforehand if you know where you are going. Also if you have s family member that eats light-maybe they would split an entree with you? I have done well with seafood and veggies or a salad with Protein. I also now order a Water to get the server from constantly asking if I want a drink! I just don't drink it.

Old thread, but I thought I would give a quick update. I originally started this thread when I was 2 months post-op. I continued to have success with the chewable dramamine tablets having flown several times since then. Last weekend I flew down to Dallas; I had run out of the chewables and the store I went to only had the original formula dramamine tablets that you swallow. I went with that and had no problems with nausea flying over and back. I'm wondering if there might have been some absorption differences 2 months post-op versus my current 9 month post-op status? I have no idea; I'm just glad the tablets worked just as well as the chewables.

Old thread, but I thought I would give a quick update. I originally started this thread when I was 2 months post-op. I continued to have success with the chewable dramamine tablets having flown several times since then. Last weekend I flew down to Dallas; I had run out of the chewables and the store I went to only had the original formula dramamine tablets that you swallow. I went with that and had no problems with nausea flying over and back. I'm wondering if there might have been some absorption differences 2 months post-op versus my current 9 month post-op status? I have no idea; I'm just glad the tablets worked just as well as the chewables.

Thank you so much for the update. Glad to hear your are able to fly!

I have used Dramamine and the Scop patch in the past, but I have had the most success with Bonine. FYI - Bonine (Meclizine) is safe at up to 50 mg for one dose. That means 2 pills instead of one. This higher dosage might work better to stop motion sickness. Some Costco's stock the generic Meclizine at the pharmacy counter.