Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First hang up - sleep study

Had my consultation for my sleep study today -- the last step before I finally get to see the surgeon and submit everything to insurance.

Aaaand my recommendation for an at-home sleep test got sent for clinical review. -_-

I'm so worried this is going to hold the entire process up. I have ZERO symptoms of sleep apnea and my bariatric center is sending me for the study simply because I've never had one. If insurance denies it, I don't know if they'll let me go forward without it. Even the sleep doc said that a negative at-home test doesn't absolutely mean no sleep apnea, and there's no way I can pay for a lab test out of pocket.

Ugh. I'm so stressed now. I keep wondering if I should have just said I snore, said I'm tired all the time... but I'm not! I had surgery on my legs back in March and my mom and my fiancee got to spend a great deal of time watching me sleep, so I know I don't snore or stop breathing!

Did anyone else run into this issue??? I know sleep studies are par for the course, so surely other people must have been in this noisy, but I'm freaking out.

I was suppose to have an ego and nuclear stress test...my insurance just denied it so I have the 45 minute stress test...ugh...pulmonary consultation this Friday...both this Friday.

Nervous

Good luck on both Pinkgirl.

Ange - I guess I'm not sure what your question is here. Is there a reason you only want the at home sleep study. I don't think I've ever heard of one being approved by insurance.

Ange - I guess I'm not sure what your question is here. Is there a reason you only want the at home sleep study. I don't think I've ever heard of one being approved by insurance.

No, I don't care if it's at home or in the lab. The doctor recommended the at home study because I don't really have any symptoms of sleep apnea, and she basically said it seems unnecessary to have me stay overnight in the lab.

My question is mostly if anyone was denied for a sleep study completely. I'm worried about getting caught in a place where my bariatric center requires one, but my insurance refuses to cover one because it's not "medically necessary" given that I don't have any symptoms.

@@ange117 - Yep. Same thing happened to me. The insurance required a peer to peer with my surgeon which she did over the phone and then insurance approved at-home study only - which was fine with me. Much easier than sleeping in an unfamiliar place. I had no apnea (as I told my dr before the test but whatever). Just stay in touch with your dr office to see what they are doing next and making sure the peer to peer gets done so you can the test.

PS - Are you SURE you aren't having some daytime sleepiness.....

Wouldn't you know, I've been second guessing myself on that answer alllllll day long......

I just had my consult. My insurance ONLY pays for at home sleep study and then after the results come back will they pay for the lab one. I was told the same thing, a negative doesn't mean I don't have apnea but she said she'd be satisfied with a negative home test because my age and neck size etc.

When I had my study earlier this year, I had previously been trying to set up the test through the hospital and she told me lots of insurance companies were moving towards the at-home sleep studies as much as they could get away with it. Apparently the sleep lab test are very expensive so as typical with insurance, anything to save money....

I had no idea they did at home studies so much. That sounds a whole lot better than going to a clinic!

@@Dar200 - I thinking is fairly new in the last year or two. Not sure it works if you already know you have apnea but it's a good first start.

My doctor said in the last 2 years it's how the insurance wants it. She said it is waaaaay less reliable than a lab test.

I think I do have sleep apnea..,actually a lot of the symptoms I don't ha e but I think I have been in denial.I DO snore at times.At night I sometimes nod off for a split second at times when I am lying in bed while on my pad.Its slight and I think it's just because I am tired but....

I need to slow my roll a bit and get testing whether it is at the clinic....I would prefer that or even if it is at an at home test....Sleep apnea is NO JOKE no matter how mild...it must be addressed whether I have it or not.Deep down in side.I know I have it.

It got approved!!!!! I'm so shocked, but also excited. I get to go pick up the equipment tomorrow morning. This is my last hurdle before I can meet the surgeon! Even if it turns out I DO have sleep apnea, at least things are still moving forward!

That's what slowed me up in my process. I have asthma and took a pulmonary function test, passed it. Pulm doc wouldn't clear me STILL til i had a sleep study. Did one at home with the machine and voila turned out i had mild sleep apnea. I don't snore but my oxygen levels drops a few times a night. Now I'm on a cpap machine. Had to use it a month before he finally cleared me. I'm finally done all that and now waiting for my surgery date on nov 16. I know you're anxious to start your new life but these steps need to be taken for your safety. Immediately after surgery I'll be on a bipap machine to keep my o2 level. Everything is for a reason. ☺ it'll all happen for you in time.