Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From 1st Consult to Surgery - how long?

I have done the homework and I am convinced that this is the solution for me. I live in Chicago and I'm starting the process at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. My first appointment is with a dietitian. The woman who set up my appointment today said I can expect surgery six months from now.

Six months from now seems like a long, long time to wait. I am committed, but wondering if I should be considering other doctors or places to get the surgery.

How long did most people wait? How do you deal with the wait? I can just imagine being bigger by then with more to lose ;)

I'm in California and I know 6 people who have had either the Lap-Band or the gastric bypass. 4 of those people had to jump through hoops for at least a year and one for almost two years before she got her surgery. Of the other two, one had to wait 6 months as you are and the other had to wait 3. I think the time factor depends on your insurance and medical group. Your Surgeon may also have his/her own time tables.

Me, I am on my 6th month. I could have gone to a Doctor that would have had me in surgery in less than 3. I chose to go through the 6 month supervised diet program that my medical group requires for several reasons.

1) I wanted to make sure I knew as much as possible before allowing someone to cut into my body.

2) I wanted to make sure that all of the medical authorities were sure that I was ready for such a drastic surgery.

3) I was hoping that my insurance would cover Lap-Banding before I went under the knife. ( They do now and I am soooo happy I waited.)

4) I wanted to assess my lifestyle, my motivations for eating and the surgery and use the time to prepare for an absolute, no holds bar change of lifestyle.

5) I wanted the use the time to make sure I wanted the surgery, that I felt that I was ready for it, and give my family time to adjust to my choice.

If you think 6 months is too long it might be, but some people would kill to have to only wait that long. Like most things in this life, it is all up to you. You have to decide what is best for you.

I probably have a record: 6 days from consult to surgery. But I am a self-pay and I had three months of exhaustive research beforehand.

It is tough to wait, but if your insurance will pay then its waaaay better than you paying.

MM

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I am one of those that does the pre-work and exhaustive research and don't make a decision until I'm ready - but when I'm ready, I'm ready. I've had a lot of therapy and nutrition counseling in the past. I will keep working the program, just wanted to know that I wasn't alone ;)

I started the process in mid June and will probably have surgery in Aug. if I get approved. I should, but I guess you never know. I have BCBS and am very fortunate because if approved the surgery is completely paid. I'm not positive about the dietician and psych, but it won't be more than 20% - one of the perks of being a poorly paid teacher in a small, poor school district! Unless you are committed to having the surgery with the dr. you scheduled an appt with, you may want to check around to see if there are others that can do it sooner. I told the psychologist I wish I could walk to the other side of the hopital and have it done NOW! I am a patient person when it comes to others but not with myself! Just think though, better to wait 6 months and have the surgery than to not have it at all. I highly suggest you check out all the info you can on this site and look into the statistics. Anyway - good luck

Holland Michigan / BCBS MI / Consult June 1st / Family Physician for Insurance Referral Letter on June 7th / Psych Eval June 18th / Insurance Approval 7/5 / Surgery scheduled for August 14th. I am just thrilled! Can't wait.

It really varies. I had my consult March 22 and my surgery May 24 (but could have done it May 9th if I had wanted to) but I'm self pay. My mother in law went in February 06 for consult and had surgery March 07.

I was a self pay. Went to the seminar in May...had the doctor's consultation about two days later. I had the blood work, the barium swallow, and the psych testing the same week. Psych results took about a week to get and then surgery was scheduled for June 26th (I could have had it on the 19th but there was a schedule conflict on my end) I think it took about 4 weeks total. Six months might also be a requirement of the insurance too

I went to my first information session on 4/18/07. My initial consultation with the surgeon was on 5/21/07. Psych test, nutrition consultation, new patient class was on 5/23/07. Insurance approval first of June and surgery 7/13/07.

I had to do a 6 month supervised diet for insurance and many many many pre-op tests per my surgeons requirments. (It probably would have taken me 6 months to complete them anyway - lol) I just started another thread - I calculated 23 doctor visits to get everything done!!!!!

I have surgery scheduled on 8/27/07 - prwk was submitted to insurance today. My first appointment to get the ball rolling was in late Jan.

Hi, I started by seeing my own Dr. back in January 2007 and in March I attended my free seminarn my Insurance provider says we have to follow through on several tihings during the 6 months. I had to see a Psychologist and passed that test. I havebeen on a Dr.s diet since January and do OK. I had to get all my medical records together and send into the Bariatric Center and then from there I had my first Dr. visit on July 3, 07 and then to the dietitian on July 5, 07 and then they sent everything to my Insurance Provider on July 10, 07 and I was approved on Fridy July 13, 07 what a great Friday the 13th it turned out for me and my Surgery date is set for September 4, 2007. It all depends on your Insurance provider and what all they need for you to do first, so all in all from January -September is how long I have been actually waiting.

Your having yours done at NorthWestern that is a wonderful hospital. I am from the Chicago land region and now I live in Texas. I am having my surgery done in waco, Texas I don't know if I would even consider having this done in Mexico, I have seen too many stories about not having surgery outside the US. I ahve heard all good things but being in my home land makes me feel much better. Good luck to you.

Pandagirl, you and I think alike becasue I want to know everything that goes on with me in advance. I do a lot of research. By chance did you whatch the two videos that was posted under Lap Band Faq's and References that someone sent in? I did and wow it was very interesting, I fully understand the reasons for everything.

I was banded within 6 weeks of going in for a consult. I think it makes a lot of difference on how proactive you are about everything. I didn't sit and wait for the surgeons office to make my appointments with the nutritionist, pshyciatrist, or my docter. I did everything myself within the first week! I knew that if I didn't do and do it quick I would talk myself out of it. Once my paperwork was all in it took my insurance company 3 days, yes 3 days! to send me a letter of approval. (I have the postmarks to prove it LOL) The rest of the time I spent waiting for the my surgery date to come around. Just remember to keep positive, it will happen! Good Luck!!!!