Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about insurance changing decision :( advice?

So I've been experiencing somethings in which I've been seeing my doctor for. I've literally been in an out of appointments with him as I feel my doctor is not taking me seriously. Hes even put me on medication for hypochondriacs. I've been expericing chest discomfort and pain on and off of the left side of my body along with palptations. I was started on medication for high blood pressure a month ago because it has been consistantly high (stage 1) and even the medication doesn't seem to really change the numbers much at all. (Which also worries me) aside from this, I've been having an annoying pinching/pricking type pain on the left side and notice that a large vein running from the left side of my shoulder to my heart is now sticking out (never did before) randomly pulsates at times. He told me that it was due to obesity and just general body changes which most people have. Now I am on 10mg of meds for hypochondriacs and feel a little uncomfortable taking this as it states it can increase axiety, depression and suicidal thoughts. My doctor has also stated that my insurance company will either see me as a hypochondriac or that he is not doing his job in caring for me which I feel at this time it is (somewhat) true. I'm unsure if there is anything seriously wrong with me, but I have been going in so that he can find out though I feel as though he is using my age to make decisions because I am young, he feels that nothing could possibly be wrong with me. When so many illnesses already run in my family and I am now struggling with high blood pressure. I am scared that all these appointments and visits with him, and now being put on hypocondriac medication is going to make my insurance revaulate their decision. I am worried for my health and the things I've been expericing but I feel as though my doctor is choosing not to seriously evaluate me but rather write me off as something that I am not. I have no idea how to further go about this. If I should try the medication hes recommended though I feel it is not for me, or seek a different primary doctor that will look further into these current issues I'm experiencing. At the same time, I'm also tired of going in an out of hospitals, I'm wondering if I should just deal with it and let whatever happens happen. I'm really unsure of how to go about it, I just know that I do not want it to affect the decision of my surgery as I've already been approved. But I also want to be able to live to have surgery and with all that Im experencing with chest pain and high blood pressure, and the large vein sticking out..If I will even make it the next month 1/2! I could really use some advice, or thoughts on this. I don't really have many ppl to talk to about it and it sucks..

Edited by ZombieQueen

You need to be 100% confident with your surgeon. I would find a Dr. You are more comfortable with and be able to express your concerns without being placaded or talk down to. Your symptomolgy sounds like it might be a panic attack's to me.

oh no it is not my surgeon. My surgeon has been great, it is with my primary care doctor. Yes I do have slight axiety, I was on a low dose of Alprozalam for awhile but it did not really help much. It calmed me but the pain was still there, and I have still been getting the pricking/pinching feeling where my chest vain has now started to protrude. My high blood pressure is most often 140/90 as well an I am continuing to struggle with heart palptations and the swelling in my left foot seems to be getitng worse. Yes I'm worried for myself and I know this can increase axiety, but a few months ago I did not have axiety and/or pain where my heart is. I've suffered with paltations for awhile now but I've just recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure, and my right foot has started swelling the most the past month & 1/2. I'm truly hoping this is all axiety because then I do not have to worry about the consequences of such other illnesses or defects but I feel as though while my axiety is present it is not the only culprit. At this point I am just hoping that is all it really is though :( an it does not affect my future surgery. Thanks so much for the response con con! I appreciate it..

What is a "medication for hypochondriacs"? I'm in the mental health field and have never heard of this.

Its called citalopram, he put me on a 10mg dose and says it's for hypochondriac and feels that I'm one which I do not believe but I am trying to trust my doctor as much as I can

Its called citalopram, he put me on a 10mg dose and says it's for hypochondriac and feels that I'm one which I do not believe but I am trying to trust my doctor as much as I can

I was on that. It's an antidepressant. I've never heard of it being for hypochondriacs? I have anxiety and depression. It was amazing honestly.

Yeeah. I'm stepping out of this one.

That's awesome, I'm glad it helped. Yes he keeps insisting Im a hypochondriac and telling me this pill is for that. He should have been more specific, I know nothing about this pill other then from what I was told. Maybe he thinks I have depression? I'm wondering why he didn't state that if he did. I guess this is another thing to bring up at my next appointment with him :/ if he thinks I'm depressed he should have stated this to me, the past few appts I've just been told he believes I'm a hypochondriac an then he took me off xanex and put me on this pill instead.

Yeah i just looked up a bunch of stuff on it and it's definitely an antidepressant/anti anxiety medication.

Like I said, I took it for over a year when my mom had cancer and it was amazing. It just levels out your mood. All medications like that come with a risk of anxiety, depression, suicide because they mess with the release of serotonin in the brain. But trust me. It's a very safe and well known antidepressant and your at MORE of a risk for anxiety and depression when your not taking it.

He may be saying hypochondriac because it's usually associated with anxiety. The medicine reduces anxiety which in turn reduces symptoms of hypochondria.

Wow thanks so much kacy, I feel more at ease now. That makes sense as I do have anxiety. I'm glad I can get someone's advice that has experience with this exact medication. I appreciate your input, I'm going to start taking it today. I hope it helps me the way its helped you. I really don't want to go back to any hospitals any time soon!

Is your doctor a psychiatrist? I would suggest getting a psychiatrist for medication maintenance and symptom management. Just what I've learned in the field and my own experience with my doctor.

No he's not, I've been thinking about seeing one occasionally.Though I don't feel like it is necessary an finding one in my area that will take my insurance is a problem for me. I did discuss this with my doctor though and he says whenever I would like he will send out a list of those near by. I wouldnt mind seeing one mostly because I feel it would be a little more easing being diagnosed by a pysch. I do not feel I have depression (something I struggled with long ago) an which is what the new med is for though he stated it was for hypo.. but! I am hoping my symptoms are from anxiety and that it will help me with that atleast. :/