Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get your veggies and still get your protein

I am almost three months out, and I am having trouble eating any fruits or veggies. My NUT has recommended that I work on veggies, but I don't know how to do this and still get in my Protein. I feel like I eat all the time and barely make my protein goals. I am hitting the protein goals, but am worried that adding in veggies will mean I won't get my protein goal. My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast 6:30: one egg with cheese (10g protein)

10:00 greek yogurt (15g)

lunch: costco chicken salad (14 g)

snack: greek yogurt (15g)

dinner: 2/3 oz chicken or something family is eating (10 g)

sometimes: 1/2 Quest bar as dessert (10g) Or sometimes I do eat a small handful of prunes.

So, I am doing well on protein and also getting fluids in. But I really feel like there is little room for vegetables. I know I need vegetables and Fiber. How do you get your veggies in and still get in your protein requirements?

Try adding some broccoli or spinach (or other veggies) in with your egg. I'm 5 weeks post and my NUT told me Monday to cut out Protein shakes and less yogurt, to eat more of what she called "real food." So I've substituted those with 1.5 oz meat (like tuna) with about 1/2 cup salad greens, She suggested to eat 2oz meat and add 1 oz veggies. You can also add crushed pineapple to ricotta or cottage cheese or use veggies to dip in ricotta (sounds gross, but is actually yummy to me). Add fruit to yogurt. She also told me to cut out Protein Bars. If you do Protein Shakes, add fruit to them.

I get bored with the same foods all the time, so I am constantly changing things up. Hope you find a way to make it work. Honestly, in the long run, I struggle too to get anything but Protein in, but I keep trying also. :)

I am almost three months out, and I am having trouble eating any fruits or veggies. My NUT has recommended that I work on veggies, but I don't know how to do this and still get in my Protein. I feel like I eat all the time and barely make my Protein goals. I am hitting the protein goals, but am worried that adding in veggies will mean I won't get my protein goal. My typical day looks like this:

breakfast 6:30: one egg with cheese (10g protein)

10:00 greek yogurt (15g)

lunch: costco chicken salad (14 g)

snack: greek yogurt (15g)

dinner: 2/3 oz chicken or something family is eating (10 g)

sometimes: 1/2 Quest bar as dessert (10g) Or sometimes I do eat a small handful of prunes.

So, I am doing well on protein and also getting fluids in. But I really feel like there is little room for vegetables. I know I need vegetables and fiber. How do you get your veggies in and still get in your protein requirements?

Toss some veg in with the egg (spinach ad/or broccoli are my favs.)

Add a bit of fruit with the yogurt

Make your own chicken salad. Use half plain greek yogurt/half mayo to cut fat & up protein. Serve in a lettuce wrap or over spinach

Instead of a Quest bar, have some fruit. Half an orange or half an apple with nut butter.

Have a meatless Monday and eat all plant based Proteins.

I eat a lot of green Beans. I get those little single serve green bean packages and add one to my Protein.< br />
I drink V8 on occasion.

I slice up fresh Tomato or cucumber and eat with cottage cheese.< br />
Add a tablespoon or two of a soft vegetable (like squash) to some of your meals.

I love fresh fruit. You can add some fresh blueberries to your yogurt.

I like a fresh sliced peach or a fresh plum as a "desert".

I am also three months post op and I am working on adding veggies also. I personally went and bought a small container of mixed greens and and other of strawberries and blueberries. I have started putting a few of each on my plate with my noon and supper Proteins. At first I couldn't accommodate very much. But now I can get in about 1 cup of mixed greens (which isn't much of you measure it loosely); 1/8 cup of blueberries; and 1/3 cup of strawberries. I will also sometimes have berries as my snack and I will have a Protein Drink (25 gr protein) for another snack. I also have the small cans of green Beans and have 1/2 cup with my Protein instead of the mixed greens. It just takes time to start adding them in. It will come. Right now, my issue is getting in whole grains. I have not managed that yet. I get my protein, dairy, fats come naturally, fruits (small amounts right now); and veggies (small amounts also).

Ok, y'all have inspired me. I am going to make some spinach, feta and egg mini muffins tonight to have for breakfast. I will eat my veggies! I actually really like my veggies; I have just been paranoid about not getting enough Protein.

I agree that it helps to start small and find vegetables or fruits you can add fairly easily. For instance, I put salsa on a lot of things.

Maybe as a mid-day or mid-morning snack have some veggies then or the flip side, if you need some Protein, have a serving of nuts or some lean Protein (left over chicken breast in 1 oz servings works out nicely).

V8 is a wonderful suggestion. I love baby carrots, baby corn, snow peas and cherry/grape tomatoes. I often will buy a small veggie tray and snack on it throughout the week.

If you are drinking Protein shakes you don't need to worry much about Protein. A couple of the shakes I drink give me like 60 grams of protein. So when I eat I can eat veggies if I choose. However, I avoid fruit as it's too sweet for me.