Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sudden change of plans--Not Prepared--RNY Advice!

Hi all!

Last week I received my approval for the sleeve, YES!!

This week they called and told me that my approval was a mistake, and the only thing covered is RNY.

So, RNY it is,

My surgery is Oct 13. Originally my employer was prepared to cover me for a week (I work in a very small private office), but with the change, I don't think they'll be able to handle a longer leave for me.

My surgery is on a Tuesday and I plan to return the next Tuesday, with the understanding that I'll do as much as I can, but if I'm having a hard time, I can pull some half days.

Does this sound doable to anyone? Assuming there are no complications?

Thanks in advance!

I work in a small office also but I'm only part time Mon Wed Fri so I'll try to have my surgery on a Tues and come back the next week fri

I took off for 2 weeks for my RNY, but within a week I was driving and easily out and about. I'd consult with your surgeon to be on the safe side, and make sure you adhere to the no-lifting of >15lbs for 6 weeks, but beyond that, other than a little soreness, you should be fine after a week. The caveat to that though is the case where some other issue arises - very rare, but could happen nonetheless. Just need to be prepared for that if it happens.

Im having surgery Thursday and have planned to only take a week off. I'm having the RNY too, I think it will be doable but everyone is different. If you message me after a few days of surgery I could try to give you an idea as to how I'm doing so you can kind of gauge it. :)

Edited by _Brooke_

I will do that, thank you!! Best of luck to you on your surgery!!

Edited by lili2333

Right after surgery, the most important requirements are Protein, Vitamins and fluids. It is probably not possible to take your blender with you to work to mix up your Protein shakes, so explore using premixed Protein drinks. Vitamins will have to be spaced throughout the day and you will probably find it very difficult to swallow for a few months. I used pill splitters and pill crushers. But you might want to explore some of the other types of vitamins other than in pill form. Many people lug around large bottles of fluids (Water, Crystal Light, sugar free gator-aid etc.) all day to achieve their Fluid requirements.

Meals are secondary because your body will be converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body - thus you lose weight. Anyways the volume of your meals are ridiculously small in the beginning.

I was driving a few days after surgery but your doctor will not permit you to drive if you are still taking narcotic pain medicine. After I left the recovery room I refused all pain medicine for that reason. I didn't really feel much pain. Of course I was walking all the time before and right after surgery which really helps loosen things up making the process almost painless. Also I have a very high pain threshold.

You will be giving yourself blood thinner medicine by injection after you leave the hospital. This is to prevent blood clots from forming. I hated this. But it was for only a week or two. You will probably do this at home. You will bruise very very easily.

You should not sit in a sitting position for more than 1 hour at a time. It means that you should get up and walk around every now and then during the day. This is to prevent blood clots from forming during the first 6 weeks after surgery.

You need to do the incentive spirometer 6 times per day for the first 2 weeks after surgery.

You will need to wear TED hose until your activity returns back to normal. Also you will probably wear your binder for at least 2 weeks after surgery.

I know this is probably a stupid question but... What is rny?

Everyone is different in their recovery. For me that first week was the toughest, not because of pain but I was on a clear liquid diet which did not include Protein. I remember how tired I was.

After the first week, I began full liquids including Protein shakes. I remember very clearly feeling better but still tired.

The biggest thing for you will be to ensure you are getting your fluids in which is harder than you think it will be. The sooner you can get to goal with liquids the faster you will begin to feel better. For me that meant constantly sipping. You cannot gulp or take big swallows for quite sometime which means to even come close to 48-64 ounces that cup needs to be in your hands contantly.

I think that could be your biggest hurdle.

Also every doctor is different, I did not have to do blood thinner injections at home at all but some doctors require it. As long as I was up and moving it was not required.

Good luck to you and congratulations on getting your surgery. Having bypass was the best thing that I have ever done for myself. Oh, and I too originally planned for the sleeve. Now I am very thankful I ended up having RNY.

@@rmarylee09

RNY - Roux-en-y is the name for gastric bypass surgery.

You can google it to get the details but if you are having bypass you are likely having this procedure.

Haha that makes since lol thank you... everyone even the doctor just called it gastric bypass, so I didn't know it had different names... even when I was doing research and looking it up i didn't even see that name, not until I joined here ????

As mentioned, going back to work depends on your doctor. My doctor has a 3-week minimum off work (six weeks for people who do heavy labor) because he didn't want ANY distractions from me being to able to sip, sip, sip liquids all day long without having to answer phones, do whatever tasks on the computer, or any other things that come up during the normal work day. He also wouldn't let me drive for a week after surgery.

Honestly, I probably was fine going back to work after a week, but he was pretty strict about it. And people heal at different paces.

I know this is probably a stupid question but... What is rny?

There are different types of weight loss surgery. One very common type of gastric bypass surgery is called Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass or RNY for short. Another type is called the sleeve.