Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeve Size and Other Questions for PreOp Appointment

I’m going for my pre-op this afternoon. Surgery in a week!!! In a moment of semi-serious weakness, at my last appointment, I asked my surgeon if I could have my sleeve slightly bigger than a banana (due to the fear of never being able to eat much of anything). To my surprise, he answered “Yes! I can give you the French something something (don’t recall the name), don’t worry, you’ll still loose weight”. Woa? I did not realize there were different sizes. Can anyone shed light on this an the pros and cons. Also, my mind is racing, I’ve tried to put together a list of things to ask the surgeon. Any ideas of what I need to ask?? Your thoughts will be very much appreciated!

I've never heard of that. I wouldn't do it. I am 5 weeks post op and I am always hungry. I can eat quite a bit. I see others saying they have 2 spoons of something and they are full. Not me. Maybe my surgeon didn't cut enough out. The sleeve can always expand.

Hmm...yeah what you say makes sense. I would not want to short-change myself on the procedure...

It is called "bougie" and it is a topic of much discussion on these forums. Do a search and you will find at least 100 threads on it.

I am unconvinced of how relevant it is though - I had one of the "larger" ones at a 38 and I have been maintaining a 150# weight loss for a few years.

what does appear to be a factor (although you should check with current research) that really tight/small sleeves are more prone to chronic reflux. I don't actually know if this is true - but that was what I was told in 2011.

I don't know if you have friends that have done this surgery. The 3 weeks after surgery SUCKS!!! Eating/drinking nothing but broth is terrible. I always wanted something to chew. Don't get dicouraged during this phase (at least try not to). Other people did not have a problem with this but I did. I miss regular food. I can't wait until a few weeks where I can have salad.

CowgirlJane, did you ask the doctor for a bigger sleeve?

CowgirlJane, you ROCK! Congratulations on your sleeve and weight loss and for being such a prolific and informed writer! Folks like you are so giving to keep coming back for us newbies. Thank you!

Whitney1968, hang in there. My friend/coworker just had hers under 2 weeks ago and she's here at work doing great, but...we all are so different. My experiences is that I'm very often like you, the Anomaly who experiences things other people don't. They say keeping your eyes on the prize helps. Praying for you.

Nope - I picked a surgeon/surgical practice with great results and trusted his judgment. They try to do what the actual research supports and in 2011 there was not a clear benefit to a "smaller" sleeve and there were indications of higher risks. I was a band to sleeve revision which is already higher risk so it made sense to me.

If you take a look at the info on "bougie" - search this site and google it - you will see there isn't that much difference in end stomach size.

CowgirlJane, did you ask the doctor for a bigger sleeve?

Thank you ellie, it has recently occured to me that alot of my info is quite dated as i am no longer researching. As new studies come out, even my practice changes recommendations. For example, in 2011 they said to get 60g of Protein, at my last check up they said minimum of 80g. They base it on research that shows people are more successful at that higher level.

My disclaimer is that i am only an expert on myself and my experiences. :)

CowgirlJane, you ROCK! Congratulations on your sleeve and weight loss and for being such a prolific and informed writer! Folks like you are so giving to keep coming back for us newbies. Thank you!

@@Whitney1968 I think most of us found those early weeks somewhat hellish. I have said many times, it took nearly 12 weeks before I felt completely human again.

It does get better and I have no regrets! Saved my life!

Hang in there. :)

My doctor uses a smaller bougie than most (32) and oversews the staple line which make it even smaller. I haven't had an reflux/acid problems, but it is definitely more likely with a smaller sleeve. Even at 20 months out I need a Protein shake daily to get my Protein in because my restriction is pretty tight still and I can't eat enough protein without constant grazing.

That said, I wouldn't have it any other way. I lost my 135lbs in a year and am easily keeping it off and don't miss large portions at all. Heck that's why I did this! I didn't pick my size, like cowgirl I picked my surgeon and trusted his judgement and am glad j did!

I too asked my dr. For a larger sleeve because in my line of work I am required to eat at meetings and negotiations whether or not I really want to.

With that said, I often wonder if he really did do what he said he would because I am three weeks out and can only do a half cup of porridge or Soup or Water or juice at any one time. If this is bigger, then what's small or regular????

Think I made the right decision to ask for larger.

@@del112 at three weeks out you are still very swollen. You won't know your true capacity till several months out most likely. For many people about 3-6 months is when we discover our true capacity.

Don't get discouraged, not everyone has a miserable first few weeks! I mentally prepared myself for the worst, but I just passed the three week mark, and it hasn't been bad at all. Biggest hurdle has been lack of energy, but I'm working on increasing my calories to overcome that.

Just wanted to throw that out there, because of the earlier comment. Prepare for the worst, but know you might be pleasantly surprised at how your recovery goes. :)

~*~ Find me on YouTube: Trisha's Sleeve Story ~*~