Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass vs sleeve

I chose the bypass for a couple of reasons.

1. The Surgeon advised it would be the best for me as my weight was 363 at 5"9 and I was a bordem eater not over eater .

2. So many stories of people that get the sleeve and later have a revision for the bypass because they gained back weight.

I'm pre-op but I chose the sleeve because I am fearful that when I'm older I will have too big of a malabsorption issue and may have too much trouble getting nutrients in even though I know Vitamins assist. Also I have ALL the plans in the world to be successful, however if I do develop diabetes, which run in my family, I want the option if bypass later.... (Though I probably still wouldn't due to the above mentioned reasons.)

I originally planned to go with the sleeve but was advised by several doctors the right surgery would be bypass for me. This is mostly because I had severe acid reflux, the sleeve can make this much worse and in some cases even can cause it if you never had it. The RNY bypass cures it.

The other reason was I was a type 2 diabetic and bypass has been known to cure it. My blood sugars have been normal from the very first day of surgery and I have never even had a single episode of heartburn.

Same for me, I had acid reflux but it is also what my surgeon recommended for me. It is currently known to have somewhat better results, too. Though I have been hearing about a lot of good results with the sleeve so it isn't out of the question as a viable option.

Gastric bypass is what I chose. It was an easy choice for me.

1. Most effective for PCOS

2. Has the most long term studies (the sleeve is relatively new, only been around for 15 years)

3. Gastric bypass is considered "gold standard" of wls

4. Acid reflex

5. High percentage of excess weight loss (about 80% compared to sleeve of 70%ish)

It is a more complex perversity but if you take your Vitamins and follow the plan you won't have malabsorption problems. Either one can be successful tho if you do what your suppose to.

I chose the bypass for two primary reasons.

1. - I had read about waaaaay too many people have a sleeve to bypass revision and only wanted to do this once.

2. - It was my understanding that with the sleeve you were still able to tolerate sweets and with the bypass they were a lot less tolerated. I know myself when it comes to sweets and I am never satisfied with one of anything! Therefore, I did not want to put myself in a position where I was "allowed" to have sweets because I knew I would not be in control of the situation. Since my surgery in June, I have attempted sweets/sugar twice and dumped both times!

I picked the bypass, My surgeon and other doctors said it would be best because I have type 2 diabetes ( havent had a problem since, I'm 4 weeks post -op) and that I have acid reflux so over all this was the best choice for me.

I chose Gastric Bypass because....

PCOS, acid reflux, family history of diabetics, my BMI is slightly over 60, was diagnosed with intracranial hypertension aka pseudo tumor cerebri (obesity related), hearing stories of everyone converting to gastric bypass. So it's basically the last conversion on the list....

I just know it's perfect for me. =)

I chose bypass because I need to lose about 200 pounds and most of the people I have spoke with have only lost about half of my number and stalled for months.