Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry after surgery

I had surgery yesterday but I am already feeling hungry. Is there anyone else who went through hunger pangs. Please help me as I don't know how to deal with it especially after thinking the surgery removes the hunger hormones. Help me please

Its probably head hunger .I am 6 weeks post op and have not gotten hungry yet ..But I fight with my thoughts daily..

Are you on a PPI? If not, get on one, or talk to your surgeon about a prescription for one. If you are, you may want to talk to your surgeon about a different PPI or a stronger dose. It seems like when most people talk about hunger "pains" or "pangs" after surgery, what they are actually experiencing is excess stomach acid, a common situation after sleeve surgery. It feels like hunger because we've been thoroughly conditioned to associate any sort of stomach pain or rumbling with hunger. So, a PPI may help get rid of it.

If what you are experiencing is a desire to eat a particular food ("I want to eat that cupcake," "I sure could go for a burger right now") -- that's food craving or head hunger, not true hunger. True hunger means being willing and happy to eat anything short of fricasseed kittens or stewed human flesh. But honestly, that doesn't sound like what you are experiencing. If I were in your situation I would definitely be talking to my surgeon about the possibility of excess stomach acid and getting (or changing) a PPI prescription. Good luck!

I know quite a few people say it is acid, head hunger, even my doc said it was thirst. I am on an acid reducer, not thirsty and yes maybe some is head hunger, I just do not give into the cravings, but this hunger is real to us. I had hunger from day 3 or 4 and it has remained and I am 7 weeks out tomorrow. I just try to eat Protein, always first, and use it as a snack if I need to. I find very little Protein helps stop the hunger at least for a few hours, then I just eat more protein first, veggies second and fruits 3rd. I find having a Protein shake first thing in AM, helps the hunger for the day, I like premier shakes. All I can say is thank goodness for the sleeve, or I would probably be back to my old ways. The best thing to do right now is stick to your docs list of food, don't stray and make bad choices and the sleeve will guide the hunger and satisfaction.

Thank you all. It is not head hunger as I am not craving anything. I don't feel anything when I see food on TV like I did before. It's just hunger pain in the stomach. What is PPI? I'm not taking any medication as I do not have the gas feeling or much pain except for hunger pain.

PPI is prescription for acid reflux. A lot of time the hunger feeling is acid. Try som e over the cou yet Zantac and see if that helps

PPI is prescription for acid reflux. A lot of time the hunger feeling is acid. Try som e over the cou yet Zantac and see if that helps

The acid feeling quite often feels similar to hunger. A good PPI taken consistently should help. I took one daily from months 3 -6. Also eating several small meals a day should help. I did 3 meals and 2 Snacks for the first 3 mths because I was hungry every 3 -4 hours. It's not the same as grazing because this is planned. In between, I sipped my Water.

Your head can you make you think a lot of things. Protein gets rid of hunger.

Also, your head can make you think your stomach is hungry when in reality, you aren't.

I feel like I have hunger pains too, it's strange. I mean I know I can't eat anything other than on my list, physically. I don't know if it's something that just feels like that.

Boy I am in sympathy with all who feel hunger pains while I really do have a hint of jealousy because to think that during my first days I felt nothing else besides sick and tired. I force fed myself my Protein Shakes and often felt ill after.

I am three days shy of four weeks and still prefer my food in liquid form; porridge, shakes, Soups, juices ( diluted ) pieces of frozen pineapple which I suck on like ice- cubes. Oh and I do do coconut Water.

The process has been challenging and some days I ask myself why but it's a welcome change from eating the wrong things and feeling badly about it.

I al also on a stall but I am riding the tides and hope it moves soon.

I'm so glad I found this forum. I'm one week post op and a couple days this week I was starving!! Wanted to eat what was not nailed down. I panicked, thinking I must've done something wrong somehow, but it's just head games. I hope!! I know this is way too early to feel hungry!! I didn't expect the feeling for a couple months at least! Other than that, I feel great. I'm so glad I did this and I'm down 14 pounds since my surgery day. Part of that is the 6.5 pounds I gained in the hospital with all the fluids they gave me. The rest was since I been home. I don't see any change yet of course, but I hope to by the middle of October or so.

I did not get hungry until about 3 weeks after surgery. Then, I was like, "what is this?" Quickly realized that I was hungry. I am not 5 months out and I get famished. Like, I could bite your head off hungry. I have a few bites and then I am full again for hours. I get "bored" hungry sometimes where I am not hungry but want to eat. I fight that though. I usually get up and do something or drink some more Water. I hear about these people that never get hungry again and I sometimes think "I wish" but that's not me. I work out a lot so I guess my body is actually burning what I eat so maybe its a good thing???

I wouldn't panic, because people do get through this on a routine basis. I am not surprised that some people are experiencing hunger though, because:

• Even after you have been "sleeved", your body doesn't totally lose the ability to make the "hunger hormone" ghrelin. It's still expressed in the pituitary, small intestine, and your remaining stomach. So it is reduced, but not absent.
  • The chills and light-headedness described as common symptoms in the first month, I believe are caused by mild hypoglycemia, since little is eaten at all at first, and what is eaten is pretty low-carb. Mild hypogylcemia does stimulate hunger as a natural response.

I'm 1 month out and when my stomach is empty in hungry but how much you eat there you go....then after 3 hours I'm hungry again then I have my Protein Shake. I eat every 3 hours. Three meals and 2 snacks...but I still get hungry right before the 3 hour mark.

I had feelings of hunger for the first 3 days or so after surgery. I now take an acid reducer in the morning and in the evening. All hunger pangs have disappeared.

Best of luck to you.