Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Op Exercising

What kind of pre op exercising are you doing?

I have a spinal injury with nerve damage so I'm pretty limited on what I can do. I try to walk on the treadmill and do the recumbent bike. I also have an exercise ball that I do physical therapy stretches on (well should be doing stretches that I don't always do....). I cannot really lift weights. I'm just concerned that my physical limitations are going to mess up my weight loss down the road.

The PA I met with said losing weight would help my spinal injury symptoms and exercise will get easier. Any one have experience with this?

Thanks!

Yes! I have two herniated discs in my back and a hip in need of replacement. I started swimming before surgery and then started again three weeks after. I have been so pleased with the results and swimming burns a crazy amount of calories. To change things up, I pick up a Water aerobics class now and again. It is all great and non weight-bearing, so has not hurt my back or hip.

I have to say, since surgery, my back problems are pretty much non-existent. My hip problem will never go away but is more tolerable with the weight loss.

My shoulders are starting to look pretty good too - lol.

I used to LOVE swimming but the gym that has a pool increased their monthly rate to almost $50. So that was a no go anymore. :( Maybe I can swim in the summer at my apartment's pool. :) I really totally want a lap pool when I buy a house lol.

I have a couple of herniated discs as well. Just start with your physical therapy exercises on the ball and do what you can and work from there. As your body gets used to the exercises, it does get easier as long as you are mindful NOT to do too much too fast. Your back will let you know if you do! I started out just sitting on the ball and rocking back and forth, doing the pelvic tilts, leg rotations and the modified leg lifts and doing laps around the island in my kitchen while pushing my desk chair for when it got too hard and I needed to rest. Then I got to where I could walk down to the corner and then each day I went a little further til I got around the block. Over the past few months I've progressed and added more things. I time my home routine to 2 xfiles episodes on Netflix now so that's probably about 40 mins of exercise where on day 1 it was probably closer to 3 mins. I have some resistance bands and they have a door anchor I use to vary exercises. The lightest band is like the resistance of a rubber band really and they progress up and can be stacked to about 150lbs of resistance I think(nowhere near there myself). I started off on that smallest band and have moved up as my body tolerated. I'm up to 25lbs of resistance and feeling kinda proud of that! :) what you have to understand is that exercise is relative. If you are used to doing nothing, then merely doing something is exercise enough to produce a good weightloss. If you are used to doing more, you just have to go a bit beyond what you were doing and maybe add 5 more and that will be enough. I think we all have a habit of thinking we have to become gym rats by the time this thing is over and honestly, I don't think that will be me. I'm more of a compete against myself kind of person so I'm capable of doing that in the comfort of my home or on top of a mountain as opposed to a brick building where you look at others and feel you don't add up or aren't working equally as hard or harder than the dude on the treadmill who runs 3hrs a day on incline. Our bodies are our built in weight resistance until we lose the weight.

Hi everyone, very interested in this topic. I need to get moving but have ongoing joint and muscle problems. Need a knee replacement. Can't do the walking or biking.

I did find zumba type videos on youtube for people in chairs. I am about to start them at home. I was surprised at how many there were. I just have to go slow and be careful, don't need more damage done.

And I want to go to the aqua-exercise that is gentle on the joints. problem is I work full-time a little further away from where it is and of course it is at 9:00 in the morning when I start work at 8. I have so many doctor appointment all of the time and am on FMLA, not sure how I will work this in. But I need to get moving.

OMG CHAIR ZUMBA SOUNDS FUN!

My mobility was extremely limited pre-op so I got an exercise peddler and peddled with my hands while I watched TV. I aimed for at least 60 minutes a day (usually in chunks of 10-30 minutes).

Now that I am more mobile and the weather is better (I was sleeved in April), I try to get in the pool everyday. I am fortunate enough to have a pool at home.

Check with local hotels which have indoor pools to see if they will sell to you pool privileges. Some will. Also check with local universities for Water aerobics - they usually offer classes for a fee that is cheaper than a class fee for students.

I just came across this topic today. I also have herniated and bulging discs and half of a right hip bone and can't walk without the use of 2 canes or a walker. When I do my back and hip hurt so badly that I started to use an electric scooter many years ago.

I found in past years the best exercise for me was the circuit training sit down ones offered at a Ladies only gym. Your suppose to move when the light turns red to the next station but I am so slow I don't use the light system. NO one seems to mind that I don't move quickly plus it helps that i am usually there when they are not crowded. Now a days I ride a 3 wheel adult tricycle 3 to 5 days a week.

When I have the surgery and am ok to start exercising again I will probably go back to the circuit training as it has been about 2 years since I have done it. When I am at goal I want to do all the dance classes I can as I use to Ballroom and Belly dance before my injuries in 1990.

I too am hoping my continued weight loss after surgery will help all my aches and pains if not go away reduce significantly.

• Tssiemer1 when is your surgery? Mine will not be until Jan.

I am absolutely convinced that taking aquafit classes played a large part in my recovery being pretty much pain free. If I had not been doing core strengthening exercises I doubt I would have been able to get out of the bed in recovery on my own. My advice is do what you can. Any little bit helps. Check your insurance policies. Many have wellness components that may either pay or reimburse for gym memberships. Check out youtube. There is a series of workouts for limited mobility and chair exercise on there. Many people go to the treadmill, often because it appears like an easy way to exercise but my orthos says that's the worse thing someone with a knee or back injury can do. Instead look for ways to strengthen the core and improve balance. Yoga and pilates, even modified are better alternative. Utilize your flexible spending accounts to pay for gym memberships. Find something to do and make out a schedule to do it consistently.

How's everyone doing? I'm slacking hard core.

@@ssflbelle November I hope

Edited by Tssiemer1